VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had to drive to Sac for the day, and it was 100 degree weather, and had to park my car for 3 hours so I found a tree, but the stupid living thing decided to spray my car with its sap...

I have Maguires car soap will this be enough after a few scrubs going over to get the stuff off?

· Registered
5,720 Posts
Re: Tree sap :( (yellow20thgti)

dont know sap is some pretty strong s**t. see if zaino makes something 4 that i ordered some polish from the cuz i saw pix of bmp wax job looked like a mirror.. didnt get it yet.you probably need a clay bar or something....

· Registered
3,939 Posts

Is it just a couple big spots, or is it millions of tiny specks? My wife's Passat was under a tree here, and got millions of tiny tiny spots...no way to get that **** off w/out clay baring it...and I heard it's not good to do on new cars.
If it's just a few goops of sap, try "Bug and Tar remover"....it seems to work fine on small jobs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,610 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Tiny little spots all over the Bonnet, roof and top portions of the fenders & bumpers. The only thing that worked was re-claying the effected areas. And this had happened only a week after I clayed, pre cleaned with Klasse AIO and two layers of P21S

· Registered
636 Posts
Re: Tree sap :( (jay_vw)

In the past I've used denatured alcohol on older cars that have gotten 'sapped'. I know it worked very well on them, but I don't know if you want to try it on your car. If you do, I'd try a VERY small amount and then wash and wax the car.
If you don't intend to wash and wax immediately after doing this, don't bother trying. The only way you'll protect the paint after removing sap is to wash it and wax it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Tree sap :( (Jman5000)

They sell this Tarminator at local Pep Boys? Or is it an online product, anyway I had though of maybe parking the car in the sun a little bit to get the Sap (its millions of tiny specs) to become soft and then give it a wash, but looks like clay bar or this tarminator will be the trick.. Crap

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Tree sap :( (s3GTI)

Well ran down to the auto store and got some bug and tar stuff, big bottle guess it will last till my car dies... Anyway, started washing and drying and noticed I got lucky with the sap because its all went bye-bye... Well incase bugs or tar give me trouble I have the stuff, but laid its first wax on and she looks great. I will run down and take some pics. But, thanks for the help

· Registered
130 Posts

Just for future reference, I had the same thing happen to me and decided against trying to use the carwash soap and rubbing cuz I was afraid it would just spread it. So instead, I washed around it and then took after the spots with some Meguiar's Stage 1 Cleaner Wax. First I just did the small individual spots to get the clumps and then used it on the entire hood to get any left-overs. The stuff worked brilliantly on both the small spots and large clumps. It came off easily without any extra buffing than normal and there were no remnants of it whatsoever. Finally I finished it off with some Stage 3 Carnauba wax and I was quite pleased! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.