VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: Tried the auto transmission forum...... (StratDubber)

All depends on how bad the fluid is..
Yes, there is some slight truth if the tranny fluid is just destroyed, it's the only thing holding the thing together...
But, it's ALWAYS recommended to flush that gunk out.
It's only small shavings suspended in the fluid; the filter only holds onto "chucks" of material.
- Erik

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Tried the auto transmission forum...... (bluebora20v)

I have a 2000 VR6, not sure which transmission I have but I am thinking about changing the fluid and filter in it. I have about 100800 miles on the car, and I dont think the fluid has ever been changed before.
Tranny runs fine except sometimes when I drive for a long period of time on the highway at a constant speed, then exit the highway my tranny does a wierd shifting thing, I believe it shifts prematurely into the next gear, for examples...ill be in second, u can feel it shift to 3rd then in a a split second into 4th....it like shifts into 3rd for a split second then goes into fourth....has n e one had this problem before?
Also I heard stories about people changing the fluid and filter on a high mileage tranny only for it to crap out a few miles after doing this fluid change...my friend who is a mechanic told me something to the effect that the shavings currently in the tranny are the only thing keeping it functional, once u take out those shavings, by changing fluid and filter, the tranny will fail....
Please let me know what u guys think, thanks in advance!
and Happy Thanksgiving!
Sorry bout that, didnt know....heres the text....

· Registered
13,353 Posts
Re: Tried the auto transmission forum...... (Rob'sVR6)

I've learned that the automatic, driven at a constant speed, will seem to be weak on power once your speed changes. The ecu "learns" driving habits, and on long trips under constant speed, it goes into a relaxed driving style. If you change your driving habit such as flooring it for a split second, it will break-up the relaxed shifting.
I do recommend getting the tranny fluid changed every 40-45K miles for maintenance sake.

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: Tried the auto transmission forum...... (StratDubber)

Quote, originally posted by StratDubber »
so should I change my fluid or no? filter?

I would. Hands down.
And yes, do the filter with the fluid.
- Erik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.