VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard recently that when you stop looking for something it finds you. Some of you may have heard that I was not having any luck finding an STI engine for my Tristar conversion. It's funny how things fall into place. Long story short, a friend and I bought an 04 STI this afternoon.

300hp Tristar is coming soon! I've already collected 90% of the parts I need. Transmission is a Porsche G50 5spd.
36k miles on the engine, no damage to it at all! I drove this STI off the trailer. Only problem was that somebody swiped the BOV , so we had to stuff a rag in the intercooler to get enough boost to drive it in the garage.

If you remembered the "Vanagon-S" (WRX powered) and what it was able to do... I can't even imagine 100hp more!

Too bad it's red...it's going to attract the wrong kind of attention...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Re: Tristar - STI (Vanagon-S)

Lucky you. I presume that you got a good deal?
Quote, originally posted by Vanagon-S »

Too bad it's red...it's going to attract the wrong kind of attention...

Unfortunately too true http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Maybe you should give it the same treatment as your syncro

·
Registered
5,384 Posts

I had heard recently that when you stop looking for something it finds you.

Wow, you have some amazing luck!!!
That will be a fun project thats for sure!
I need to move down to Oregon your junkyards seem to be ALOT better!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Tristar - STI (Bantastic)

All swedish T3's have them installed, even on round headlamp grills.
The difference is that the fluid tank is nearly 2x as large and the tank has 2 pumps. The normal washer switch on the stalk operates the headlight washers only when the headlights are on.
Stand back when I turn them on! it's super high pressure and gets fluid everywhere!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Tristar - STI (ken_mag)

Brakes are being made as we speak. Fronts are Porsche 993 twin turbo, rears are boxster S with 930 rotors. It should stop as well as it goes.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

Looks good Eric! I'm still waiting on my caliper carriers from the machine shop. I should have them late next week, the guy got a big job from Boeing. I guess they're more of a priority the my stuff.
Keep us posted!
Can you use the STi Brembos for anything?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts

Heh, a couple of before and after shots...
before:

is that an airbagged wheel? Sure doesn't look like one. Wonder if it'd fit in a Eurovan???hmmmm

1 - 20 of 405 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.