VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my cousin has a 97 A4 1.8t fwd auto. there was a lot of chatter in the engine bay and found out the flexplate had cracked at the bolts. the flexplate was replaced and the chatter stopped and upon driving around the block the car stopped (mid drive). It was still in drive, however the wheels just stopped pulling. the engine remained on however.
the mechanic got the car back to the shop and checked the tranny fluid. it was pretty dark, but there were no metal shavings. it was changed. The car starts up fine, and the shifter moves. it even almost sounds like the shifter engages, but still, the wheels don't turn. any thoughts?

·
Registered
810 Posts
the mechanic doesn't know?
get a new mechanic. Thats the only advise i can offer. Sorry. Good luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: (skibum525)

does the car move at all? and if the mech doesn't even have a clue where to start looking, you need to change your mech.
Drive shaft maybe
. I am only guessing here.
Or you could have a blown trany.
Sorry, im all out of ideas tonight.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (alfonz)

Quote, originally posted by alfonz »
does the car move at all? and if the mech doesn't even have a clue where to start looking, you need to change your mech.
Drive shaft maybe
. I am only guessing here.
Or you could have a blown trany.
Sorry, im all out of ideas tonight.

The mechanic thinks its the torque converter, but doesn't know for sure. thanks for the ideas http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts