VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my Mk V euroswitch in this morning to find that the parking light setting does NOTHING.
I have the full-on euro version, with auto function (works fine), parking, full on, and front and rear fog positions (to be used later).
Might this be a VAG_COM issue, or is it some hardwiring that I have to deal with?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Trouble getting Euroswitch to operate fully (zanakas)

Quote, originally posted by zanakas »
I have the full-on euro version, with auto function (works fine), parking, full on, and front and rear fog positions (to be used later)...

Did your car have the auto function lights before you put in this Euroswitch?

·
Registered
364 Posts

I got the euro switch from Hillside and installed it with no problems in my Canadian 2.5
I do not have the full "auto" setting that turns on when it gets dark, but the switch operates as I wanted it to - it turns on the headlights, running and dash lights when I start the car. The parking light setting does work (just checked!) the only comment I have about it is that it should be the first position before auto, not between auto and full on. Not sure why VW made it like that.
I didn't disable my DRL and don't intend to - not sure why anyone would want to, really.

Modified by biznatch at 11:44 AM 10-11-2005

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Trouble getting Euroswitch to operate fully (biznatch)

I got the switch from Hillside.
Yes, the car had auto-lights as standard.
And I don't intend to disable the DRL's either.
Biznatch, though I have a TDI (2005.5), it sounds that we have a similar setup.
I had a Mk IV w/euroswitch, and did the DRL relay mod. Otherwise, I just plugged in the switch, and it worked as intended....
Did I get a bum switch???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Some more info....everything else works as intended, auto function is fine, full-on is fine, and front fog indicator lights....
Just that the parking setting does nothing...

·
Registered
364 Posts

When I have the switch set to OFF then turn it to AUTO, the icon lights up green for a second then switches back to orange - none of the other selections do that.
Here are the results of each setting using my euro switch (with auto, front + rear fogs)
Off - no dash or parking lights, DRL on when parking brake released
Auto - parking lights (including small front bulb near highbeams), low beam on, dash lights on
Parking - parking lights on, dash lights on, low beams on if parking brake released
On - all lights on (same as auto)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote, originally posted by biznatch »
When I have the switch set to OFF then turn it to AUTO, the icon lights up green for a second then switches back to orange - none of the other selections do that.

with a light sensing auto headlamp setup, the icon is green if auto is selected but the lights are off, then lights up red when the lamps are on

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here's where I am at today....
AUTO works fine....green indicator and all lights off in daylight, indicator off and all on at night...OK
FULL ON...all lights on constantly....OK
PARK...nothing if parking brake disengaged and DRL's are on...if you pull up on the brake lever one click, DRL's off, ;parking lights on (all side, rear, and city lights, no H/L), and the buzzer to release handbrake is on.
SO...its like the MK IV problem, only a little different, in that the parking lights do NOTHING w/o the DRL's turned off....
From an electrical standpoint, its a bit more difficult, in that VW has tied together the parking, DRL and handbrake. Maybe to get away from Us messing with the DRL relay...
I guess my next question is...has anyone with a euroswitch with parking lights disabled their DRL's? I will do so if it allows the parking lights to work "normally". Or are they separate VAG tabs (the parking lights and the DRL's)?

·
Registered
9,680 Posts

Does the EURO Turn Signal Parking Light funstion on your car?
(Put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to on, turn on one turn signal, turn the off, remove it and get out of the car. The parking lights for the selected side of the car should be on.)

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote, originally posted by biznatch »
Here are the results of each setting using my euro switch (with auto, front + rear fogs)
Off - no dash or parking lights, DRL on when parking brake released
Auto - parking lights (including small front bulb near highbeams), low beam on, dash lights on
Parking - parking lights on, dash lights on, low beams on if parking brake released
On - all lights on (same as auto)

Mine operates in a similar manner on my 05.5 PKG 0 TDI... Except the parking light position turns OFF the dash lights. Did I get a bum switch?
The switch has 2 detents pull out one for front fogs and two for rear fogs. The first notch changes the front fog light indicator green but the second notch does nothing. Is this working properly? Admittedly my front and rear fogs aren't installed or enabled in the ECU yet.
I'll have a look at the coding with VAG-COM. While I'm at it I'll turn off the US mode and turn on the Scandinavian mode DRL.

Why the heck aren't the taillights on with the DRL everywhere by default??
DRL are for visibility after all. No reason not to turn the ^%#$ tailights on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Trouble getting Euroswitch to operate fully (hatzie)

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused by this thread. What does the Parking position do now that you got it "working"? What did you want it to do?
It seems to me that the reason I want a Parking position, is to activate only the parkng lights, without the DRLs.
If the parking lights come on with the DRLs, all you have is a "lights-on" mode where the lights are 5% reduced. What's the point of that?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zanakas »
Sorry, fellows...
After some further research on here, I've found out all of the info I needed. All of this stuff is controlled by the Comfort Module on the CAN system....
See this link
http://en.openobd.org/vw/golf_1k.htm

So which setting on the Jetta V is used to turn off the DRLs?
1: Byte 00 Bit 4 Daytime Running Lights (North America)
2: Byte 08 Dimming Daytime Running Light
3: Byte 17 Bit 4 Daylight Running Light with dimmed Low Beam

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.