VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hood was recently painted, about 2 months ago now, so I figured the clear has enough time to set.
Hood prep:
-Wash Meguiars NXT Tech Wash w/Cobra MF mitt
-Dry with Cobra Waffle Weave MF towel
All with PC:
-M105 LC Orange
-M80 LC Orange (Also tried Opti-Polish 2 on LC Orange because M80 was giving me a little trouble)
-Wipe with purple Cobra MF
I still have a small amount of swirls, very thin ones. The paint is much better than before, but I can still see alot in the sunlight.
2 Questions:
-I only did 1 pass with M105 because most of the heavy swirls were pretty much gone. Do I need to compound again?
-After M80 or Opti-Polish I still saw swirls, so, obviously there is an issue in my 2nd step here, but I really don't know what.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re: Trouble getting new hood swirl free (VWn00b)

Isn't M80 pretty mild? I've never used it. If the size / thickness of the swirls don't justify it, I wouldn't go another round with a compound. Maybe a medium polish like M83 or another pass with M80. If you have Optimum Compound, that might work as it's not really all that aggressive like M105.
You may need to be more "slowly-concentrated" on the surface with this step to maybe add more physical cut into the correction. Speed 6 with the PC, 1.5" per second over the surface.

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Re: Trouble getting new hood swirl free (me)

Are the siwrls on tight circles like they are left over from the M105 or are they swirls that look like they were there before. As in swirls created by the sweeping motion of a wash mitt?
If they are the latter, hit it with M105 again. If it looks like they are from the M105, then you need to step up to something like M205 or M83 before going to M80.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FV-QR

Got a few tips back from the Meguiars forum. It was suggested that I pick up a Soft Foam Polishing pad instead of the LC Orange, along with some M205.
I ordered the M205 but that won't be here until tomorrow.
I tried the M105/Orange --> M80/Soft Foam Pad on the roof, which is still the original paint and clear coat.
I had much better results than the hood.
Once the M205 comes in tomorrow I'm going to do a test spot on the hood with the 105/205 Orange/Soft Foam combo and see how it turns out.
I honestly think the clear on the hood and fenders is still pretty soft.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: FV-QR (67Customs)

Quote, originally posted by 67Customs »
It will be.
In my opinion, 105 and a orange pad are too strong for a fresh painted hood. That could be your problem.
I didn't read that it was new paint the first time or I would have mentioned that.

I think so too.
I got my 205 in today, along with some LC red pads. I think I found a nice combo. The 205 definitely finishes nicer than the M80, but the M80 still seems a little easier to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts