VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I nearly bought the farm today after a truck driver shoved me into the emergency lane. I was on his left and my right tires were on the rumble strips and this close >< to putting the left two wheels into the ditch, likely cartwheeling me down into a ravine. Fortunately I was able to get in front of the guy, as I was close to passing him (I was doing the speed limit and staying in my lane) when he decides he needs to be where I am. What does he do after nearly killing me? Flips the bird, of course.

After we got onto the other highway from the exit he tried to hang back so that I couldn't get a pic, but I made damn sure I could do just that. I got this pic, but unfortunately it's the best I could get without putting myself into another precarious situation.. Some of the "report me" numbers are missing, which in my adrenaline infused state I did not notice. The adrenaline made it very tough to keep maintaining the same speed, as my right foot was shaking on the throttle pedal. Fortunately with a Honda Fit it's hard to tell the difference between light throttle and heavy throttle at freeway speeds. :p

Has anyone else dealt with "Sunco" Trucking (Or Sunco Transportation)? I can't seem to find whether they're active or have been bought out. I found another 1-800 number on the electric internet, but it was disconnected.

This was eastbound on Interstate 64 at roughly 11:00, probably a little before.

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Err...how could you be on his left and your right tires be on the rumble strips?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Not that it makes it OK for what happened to you , but where you anywhere in the red zones when it happened?

I try not to spend too much time alongside with a semi when passing. Seeing if my friend can dig up some info for ya, he is in the trucking industry.

According to my friend, They are out of service and operated by Watkins Refrigerated now.
https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.a...ry_string=3371104&original_query_string=SUNCO

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,857 Posts
Never dealt with them, but glad you’re ok. I was with my Dad years ago in Australia, and we got run off the road by a semi and ended up rolling the Ford Falcon we were in. Not the most entertaining day of my life, and neither was the flight home the next day. Happy to hear the worst that happened was the seat looks like this: ___/\___ from the pucker factor.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Looks like you have a 1-800 number to call, as well here we have the CMV which is run through the 'Ministry of Transportation of Ontario', which focuses on commercial motor vehicles. Possibly you have something similar in your state.

That said, I had been run out of my lane and into ongoing traffic by a city bus. Literally they were stopped in a right turn lane and mind you it was a few years ago to recall it all, but the driver decided to make 2 lanes (including the right turn) into one. I called the transit and they ended up pulling back video and came to my house to apologize. They mentioned they were going to review the incident with the bus driver. I said it's fair, a car can disappear in a buses blind spot but, to me it felt more aggression than that, but leave it to someone else to decide.

The truck in this example, likely doesn't have the same amount of data collected, but it is a fleet and likely they have metric collection that likely they can pull back and ask the question of 'why' and create a 'learning experience'?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The only thing I can really find is that Sunco, and its parent company Cold Carriers, went under in February 2020.

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His left two tires were already off the freeway.

Do a little searching on the federal site and give the hotline a call:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/consumer-protection/report-safety-violations

Not sure if it does much, but you do end up speaking to a live person.
This. My left two tires were already past the rumble strips and very close to the grass.

I have a contact number now, so that's the first thing.

Yes, I was in his blind spot, but on Interstate 265 there are two lanes, one of which goes right to westbound I-64 and one to eastbound I-64. He came over after the split, but before the pavement ends between the two (it's a looooong "V" there). He had no signal and I wasn't even sure he was meaning to come over at first or just riding the line for a bit.

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I can really find is that Sunco, and its parent company Cold Carriers, went under in February 2020.
Someone is operating their trucks, then. I was finding the information tough to find and it did in fact seem like they were out of business. It makes me wonder if they just changed their name to avoid legal issues. With so much going on it seems like being in trucking is bound to be profitable this year. Certainly local carriers/delivery services are, but OTR trucking is supposed to be going gangbusters, too.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
His left two tires were already off the freeway.

Do a little searching on the federal site and give the hotline a call:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/consumer-protection/report-safety-violations

Not sure if it does much, but you do end up speaking to a live person.
This. My left two tires were already past the rumble strips and very close to the grass.

I have a contact number now, so that's the first thing.

Yes, I was in his blind spot, but on Interstate 265 there are two lanes, one of which goes right to westbound I-64 and one to eastbound I-64. He came over after the split, but before the pavement ends between the two (it's a looooong "V" there). He had no signal and I wasn't even sure he was meaning to come over at first or just riding the line for a bit.
Ah, yeah - that makes sense now. I didn't take in you were that far left - a pucker moment for sure :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Trailer is nearly useless. You need the DOT numbers on the cab to pin down who was driving.

You could try filing a FOIA with the weigh stations along the route for trucks matching that day.

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trailer is nearly useless. You need the DOT numbers on the cab to pin down who was driving.

You could try filing a FOIA with the weigh stations along the route for trucks matching that day.
I figured schedules would be enough for the company to identify the driver. This assumes, of course, that they care.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,573 Posts
The companies that hire sh*t drivers know they hire sh*t drivers, and are not gonna do anything about it.

Try to report him if you can get through, but you're wasting your time.

Trucks are gonna truck, so just stay out of their way. You were in his blind zone, whether he turned signals on or not he was coming over. You would have been in a bad spot regardless.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The companies that hire sh*t drivers know they hire sh*t drivers, and are not gonna do anything about it.

Try to report him if you can get through, but you're wasting your time.

Trucks are gonna truck, so just stay out of their way. You were in his blind zone, whether he turned signals on or not he was coming over. You would have been in a bad spot regardless.
Pretty much all of this.

Take this as a lesson to always pass trucks with as much urgency as you feel comfortable with. I'd pay a ticket because I was flying past one of these rolling death traps rather than the alternative.

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I'm aware it's a fool's errand. I don't do too many of those, but I feel this needs to be completed. I don't get shaken too often but this one definitely did shake me up.

Thanks for the responses, guys. :beer:

SOS, it's nothing like your harrowing experience! :eek: I thought that was going to happen, though. If the left two wheels had dropped off of the pavement I have little doubt that I too would've cartwheeled/rolled down the embankment.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Certainly not making light of your incident, but stuff like this is another reason I won’t drive a slow car. Sometimes power NOW is a safety feature.

(And before everyone gets all slap happy, I’m not saying any of my cars are that fast, but they are faster than OP’s Fit)

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,445 Posts
Glad you are ok, that sounds really scary.

Pretty much all of this.

Take this as a lesson to always pass trucks with as much urgency as you feel comfortable with. I'd pay a ticket because I was flying past one of these rolling death traps rather than the alternative.
Same, I haul ass past semis and I try to give them a little headlight flash before I do so they know I'm coming. Around here we get big logging trucks that often look very unevenly loaded that are even scarier.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,573 Posts
Certainly not making light of your incident, but stuff like this is another reason I won’t drive a slow car. Sometimes power NOW is a safety feature.
Oh gee. You take the top off the Wrangler and now it's some sporty convertible? Okay guy.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts