VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #241 (Edited)
Thanks bud, this forum is pretty dead and this thread in particular. I pretty much use it to keep a record of my work. ha ha.

I had my fuel pump die on me this week. Kinda strange as I just installed it last year during stage 1. I did run it dry when I ran out of gas recently and that is not good for them at all, so I would guess that had something to do with it. I have checked all the wiring and relays and the pump is not priming when the key is in accessory position 1. Gonna replace the pump with a pump for a 2002 Tahoe. It looks like that is gonna be a direct swap and give me the fuel tank pressure and evap that I will need for SMOG.

Will have to pull the pump to see for sure.

Also replaced my Derale Frame rail cooler this week. When I installed it last year it worked fine. This year when I reinstalled it after the swap it wouldn't seal properly. I ended up tapping out the threads to accept the fitting off the end of the AN hose. It didn't leak for a while and then slowly developed a leak that I couldn't trace at first cause it was so small. Finally found it and ordered the NPT to AN adapters and a new cooler. Took the opportunity to move the cooler into the engine compartment. I think I am gonna mount a LED light bar under the core support where the cooler was.

I also got my lines and fittings in for the trans cooler.

I hooked a little LED up to the thermostat on the cooler that will illuminate when the fans turn on. Just another way to keep track of how things are going on the truck. I also have two sensors on the trans. One below in the pan and one up in the body. I can switch between the two sender locations with the switch in the dash and monitor different temps in the trans.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Removed my old walbro pump today. Decided to cut the floor and remove that way. So much easier and quicker than dropping the tank.

Ignore the tape. Those were initial measurements but when I drilled the corners and dropped a drill bit through I could see they didn't line up all that well

I also have a storage box that goes on top so not too worried about the hole in the floor. Leaving one side in place too enables me to just told it back and forth.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
a lot of people lurk the TCL offroad forum. Most prob post on a place like Pirate4x4 or insert chosen brand offroad forum here. I lurk here but super lurk on pirate4x4, post on nc4x4, zuwharrie, etc.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Was able to get all the little things buttoned up on the truck that had been driving me crazy recently. Finally got rid of the jenky trans cooler that was bagging around under the truck and moved my hi lift jack out back to the gauntlet bumper.

Also picked up a $100 light bar from Amazon. I can't understand how they make these things so cheap. Guess I will have to see how long it lasts. But for $100 can't really beat it.

I wanted to hide the bar as I am not a big fan of having them up high. They just seem a little too much for my taste.

I was stoked to get it to fit behind the grill. It was quite a bit of work but worth it imo.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
they make them so cheap because lower qualitly led's most likely but if it dies 10 times it is still cheaper than the ridged bars. Also can you send me the link to that bar as my Samurai needs better offroad lights that aren't walmart specials

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Thanks bud, this forum is pretty dead and this thread in particular.
I just didn't want to post "cool :thumbup:" between every one of your updates, I figured every other was diluting your thread enough. :laugh:

This pic makes your thrust angle look off by a country mile. I'd imagine the rear's a lot more true than this makes it look?... Do the leaves have locating pins?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #251

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
I just didn't want to post "cool :thumbup:" between every one of your updates, I figured every other was diluting your thread enough. :laugh:

This pic makes your thrust angle look off by a country mile. I'd imagine the rear's a lot more true than this makes it look?... Do the leaves have locating pins?

Ha Ha, I used landscape mode under my truck and so everything got distorted. It is perfectly true. My truck looks retarded in that pic, but I thought it was kinda cool

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
The wiring is starting to wrap up. Running out of channels on the fuse panel. This American autowire Kit was a great investment. I was pretty intimidated by the wiring of the truck but it has come together beautifully and I have a strong strong understanding of my trucks electrical now.

Here is the fuse panel

And my carling switches.

And my $100 Amazon light bar.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Sweet. Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed it. Truly a work in progress

I worked on my power windows today and tried to integrate relays in to reduce the voltage drop through the switch. Doesn't seem to be working correctly.

This is the schematic I was working off.

This is how I ended up wiring it. The only way it would work was if I had power passing through the switch which seems to kinda defeat the purpose of the relays.

I checked the wiring like ten times and even tried different relays but nothing worked until I put power back into the switch.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Ground only the 86 pin, take it off 87A and leave that unused. Once that's gone, check the fuse feeding your 87.

Your window button wets 85, that's the relay's magnet, which is grounded on 86. Hitting the window button energizes the magnet, that closes the switch on the other half of the relay.
But that's a 2 way switch, it's either connecting through to 30 or 87A.
If the magnet is energized it's putting power to pin 30.
If not, it puts power on 87A.
Soon as you tied it together, prior to hitting the window switch, I'm guessing you popped the fuse.

I mean, it looks like you did it exactly how it was drawn, just not sure why it was drawn that way.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Ground only the 86 pin, take it off 87A and leave that unused. Once that's gone, check the fuse feeding your 87.

Your window button wets 85, that's the relay's magnet, which is grounded on 86. Hitting the window button energizes the magnet, that closes the switch on the other half of the relay.
But that's a 2 way switch, it's either connecting through to 30 or 87A.
If the magnet is energized it's putting power to pin 30.
If not, it puts power on 87A.
Soon as you tied it together, prior to hitting the window switch, I'm guessing you popped the fuse.

I mean, it looks like you did it exactly how it was drawn, just not sure why it was drawn that way.

I figured the issue. The schematic was drawn up assuming you had factory wiring all connected. The power to the switch can be dropped to like 18 gauge as the volts all go to the relay now. The issue I had was that I had gutted the wiring so there was no power going to the door at all. Splitting it off to the switch and relay totally defeated the purpose of the mod. I am going to repurpose one of the old wires in the door as a power to the switch and then isolate the power to the relay.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
wanted to throw up a link to my youtube channel. I have been slowly adding videos to the channel as my build progresses. https://www.youtube.com/user/jwmerrick/featured

I just added the latest video that gives a brief overview of the build and highlights various parts of it. I wanted to do these videos to provide detail to stuff that I put into my build but couldn't find much detail on.

So far I have videos up on the DIY4X roll cage, the DIY4X rear gauntlet bumper and tire carrier, and a video on high steer, crossover and hydraulic assist.

The next two videos will be to focus on the DIY4X wraptor and backbone and axle wrap and what it is etc, and then the DIY4X dash.

If you are picking up a theme, that is not unintentional. I love Kurt's stuff. I feel that he makes the best products for our trucks and so they have become an integral part of my build. I also felt like there is sometimes misunderstanding or misinformation on what products do what and what they don't do. I wanted to do my best to clear up some of the bad information out there.

That said, I am no expert. I am a novice with limited experience and resources. But I love my truck, love to mess around and build stuff and happen to have a friend who will shoot and edit these videos for me.

I hope at least a few of you will enjoy them and find them helpful!

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe2C_UPlzk5Umd_NuzaHLbw

[​IMG]

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,873 Posts
Great videos :thumbup: I wish your build thread could've stayed in TCL, it deserves to get more views than it does in here. Keep it up!

241 - 260 of 298 Posts