VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 280 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Haha. Most of my neighbors are cool with me. I guess they figured it was best to get on the good side of the dude listening to slayer and melting metal.

I got the bumper painted.

This is a huge milestone for me. When I started this build it was a focus on mechanics as fab seemed so far away from my skill set. Now I see that I have built the bumper I wanted I get fired up. No it isn't perfect but I am stoked on it. And I built it (with bends from DIY4X).

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I love this build, but I'm not wild about that bumper. Unlike the other stuff on this build, it seems to be just for looks. Why no chop an oem bumper to fit the winch?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
I love this build, but I'm not wild about that bumper. Unlike the other stuff on this build, it seems to be just for looks. Why no chop an oem bumper to fit the winch?
Umm not really sure if you are serious or not but, ok. Here goes.

1. The frame was shortened and strengthened to add the ABomb which moved the winch under the body and also capped the frame and made it a ton stiffer. In addition the suspension and axle were pushed out with the suspension hangers.

2. I hacked the body up front to remove any low hanging sheetmetal and enable me to run larger tires with less lift

3. The tubes extend around the remaining body to protect it and provide hi lift jack points

4. The stinger is never intended for looks. It is intended to stop the engine from being damaged in the case of a rollover. I went as small as I could while still providing some level of protection. I pray I will never need it but ......

5. I couldn't have done ANY of that with the stock front bumper.

Nice!! I had to miss KOH this year :( Always a good time out on the lakebed.. You take the truck out on any of the harder trails between the runs or were you just out there spectating?

I cruised around a little bit, but I still don't have a front shaft in. I am weighing my options as to whether I want to go 1350 or 1410. The desert sand really needs 4x4 to get anywhere. I did make it up to chocolate thunder, but had to give it some solid right foot.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I have been having a lot of issues with my intake. First the MAF was bad, my intake temps were high, so Jerry rigged a intake to get more cold air. That sucked cause I placed the MAF too far from the filter to try and cut down on turbulent air flow. PCM would mess up under low throttle as it couldn't read tables off MAF. I talked to my tuner and he suggested we wideband o2 it to see exactly what it is reading and tune for that. So before I drop the sensor in figured I would get my intake finally sorted. Still need to build some brackets for support as zip ties aren't permanent but for the time being this works.

Prob gonna work on some ducting to get more cold air straight to the filter.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No Idea how I missed this thread.

261 - 280 of 298 Posts