VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're seriously looking into pickup trucks and need some advice. The main reason we're getting the truck is to tow. We have two boats; our new 24', 6000 lb boat and trailer with disc brakes and another, small 15', 1200 lb boat and trailer without brakes. The truck will be replacing our Dodge Caravan and will need to have capacity to seat 4 people comfortably on long trips twice a year while also being economical and an easy daily driver.
The truck is for my 53-year old father who wants to spend as little as possible. However the truck must be capable of fulfulling its duties and both my mom and dad recently have begun having back or hip trouble so the ride can't be jarring.
We've looked at Ford F-150 XLT, F-150 XLT SuperCrew, Chevy 1500 LS, 1500HD LS. Haven't really looked at the '03 Dodges - my dad doesn't like Dodge I guess.
Anyway, we need advice on engine choice for towing capability, a little insight into the benefits of each brand in today's market, 2WD vs 4WD (Maryland), etc. Purchasing tips would be helpful too.
Ben

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Trucks and Towing (mr_mbuna)

As a point of interest, today my dad visited a Ford dealership that offered him a price on a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4.6L 4x2. Personally I think this truck is underpowered, is lacking potentially neccessary 4x4 drive, and won't hold value well being that a major redesign is due next year. Regardless, after checking out the Invoice price on Edmunds and then subtracting factory rebates I said I don't think its a good buy unless it sells for less than $23,000. The dealer offered $22,500.
To meet monthly sales quotas and also July 1 property taxation.
Go for it or look for a better truck?
Ben

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Trucks and Towing (mr_mbuna)

A diesel engine might be better for towing, and fuel economy would improve from abysmal to tolerable. But it is often a rare, expensive option when buying new. Also, it is sometimes only available in 3/4 or 1 ton pickups and vans or SUVs based on those extra large pickups.
4x4 is probably helpful on slippery boat ramps, but will cost extra to buy and fuel. Don't expect ride comfort to be as good as a car or minivan.
Must it be new, or can it be used? A new diesel pickup would be over $30,000, but a few year old one would probably be under $20,000, if you believe edmunds.com pricing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts