VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever do something you think is so great and incredible you just have to share it with people? I did and have been doing over the last two weeks.
I picked up 2 Audi 100's (an 89 and a 90) that have been sitting for quite some time. I'm talking in particular about the 89 here. We got the car in pieces, the intake had been removed the belts and pulleys were in the trunk the radiator support and grille had been removed and the interior was full of water because the car had set with the windows down for almost a year. There was promise in these cars anyways, so I picked them up.
Having no previous experience raising vehicles from the dead, enlisted the help of my good friend Michael. We assesed the situation and went to work. This car had blown it's motor, so the guy we bought them from put a motor with only 30k miles out of a car that hadn't run in almost 7 years. The P.O. was an import mechanic, but got frustrated with this car and put it up for sale. It came with new hoses belts and a couple of sensors.
The first thing we noticed was that the timing belt was slipping off the cam sprocket toward the engine. Doh! The previous owner had put the cam pulley on backwards! Score! We put the intake back together, hooked up a cheap battery, set the timing, turned the key and whiir whir, whir, vroooom! Success!
To make long story short we fixed a bunch of other crap, cleaned out the int. (still smells bad) put the carpet and seats back in and took her on the maiden voyage yesterday. Despite the fact that we didn't tighten the lugnuts, the journey went without incident. I have great pictures, which I'll be posting soon.
The point to this seemingly pointless post is this. I feel like I'm on top of the world now! My current job is working with PC's and as much as I like to help people, I don't get a great amount of satisfaction from it. But taking this immobile object, cleaning it up and making it run under it's own power is one of the greatest tasks I have ever accomplished. Maybe it's a man thing, I don't know, but it brings me great satisfaction to get really dirty and a little cut up, but have something to show for it at the end of the day.
Just thought I would share. Thanks for listening.

Chris

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: True success! (200HP4dr)

Well done, I´d be glad if I would be an as good mechanic.

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: True success! (Eolair)

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a great mechanic, but with my Bentley and with good luck we got it going. Of course, there are a million other things that don't work, but that's the world of Audi's for you.
Needs: Headliner, seats restitched, pass side windows won't roll down, driver's side door won't open from inside, gas and coolant temp gauges don't work, low oil ight comes on..etc....
But hey, the car runs and drives now, and the sunroof even works.
Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts

My brother got a Karmann Ghia when he was 16 that hadn't run in 5 years. It was pretty amazing to fiddle a bit here and there, fill it full of new gas, yank the battery out of my Beetle, and cheer when the cloud of rust came pouring out the back as the muffler disintegrated. Congratulations!
Of course the rest of the fix-up won't be nearly as fun...
-Eric

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: True success! (TwoUptons)

nope, I'm not nearly as excited about that, but it will make me a better mechanic.
Chris

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]it brings me great satisfaction to get really dirty and a little cut up, but have something to show for it at the end of the day.[HR][/HR]​
I know exactly how you feel - I get that same exact feeling every time I do something on a car.
Like when I *finally* got the tranny out of mt Corrado last fall, I felt like hoisting it up above my head and parading around town, like it was a prize kill back in the caveman days or something. Instead, I threw it out on my front lawn, went inside, and had a

-Nate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts