VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I don’t like the all Black alloys on the XSE,the current Black with chrome looks better imho.
The XLE alloys are an improvement .
Looking forward to seing the new LE alloys,as the current ones are my Favorite in the range,somehow always look so good ,as long as they are clean .
The SE and XSE are actually black and machined aluminum. I actually prefer the SE design (not biased or anything..) but would have liked them to be in 19” like the XSE, instead of 18”.

My FIL has a ‘19 XSE and I have an ‘18 SE. I would love to take the LED tails, sunroof, and heated seats out of the XSE (as well as a 19” wheel pkg) and make like an “SE Tech Pkg” or something of that sorts.

Black wheels just don’t work in today’s design direction, especially on this car. The current black/machined finish complements the rest of the exterior design quite nice

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Nice looking seats, I assume they are real leather, are they comfortable?
They are not real leather, but they've got a very similar texture/feel to leather, albeit thinner leather (the kind you'd expect to find in a Camry anyway). They're wearing quite well for being an ex-rental car, and we have about 47k miles on it now. The centers are still cloth. They do look nice, I'm a fan of how they're laid out.

Comfort-wise, the most we've done in the car is ~4 hours and they're aggressively-medium comfort-wise (I'd say maybe a 7.5-8 out of 10). I've done ~7 hrs to Montreal and back in a '19 LE rental (I imagine they are the same seats, just different material) and I had no complaints about those either. Could just be my standards, because I prefer seats that are more heavily bolstered, and have more substantial-feeling leather - the Mk5/Mk6 GIT Autobahn leather seats are some of the best that I've ever sampled. Among my favorite cars that I've owned, the Mk6 JSW had awesome long-haul comfortable seats, especially for a base model (it was a '13 2.5S).

But back to the Camry, the seats have good padding and decent support. I imagine larger Americans might find them a bit narrow, but then again this is a more swoopier and lower design for a Camry so that might not have been their target market. The material is also much better than expected from a mass-market Japanese car that's designed to turn a profit at $25k new.

One thing I noticed about the TRD Camry is that they used the same seats as the SE. That would disappoint me if I were buying a TRD Camry because I'd be expecting better seats, but I think the standard V6 might be enough to distract me. Ironically, the TRD is the cheapest way to get the V6.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Those front end scoops are a bit too much on a car like this.
100%. Looks like the bunched foreskin of a flaccid uncircumcised penis.

None of those scoops are believable for any performance purpose. All of that extra body material is conveying the sense that they're all there as additional crumple zone material or to guide the bodies of pedestrians in the event of an impact.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Yeah, part of the reason I got mine in black is that it hides all the weirdness that’s going on.

Thankfully I don’t look at it when I’m driving, and who stands there admiring a Camry anyway? That’s not why people (myself included) buy them in the first place

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Yeah, part of the reason I got mine in black is that it hides all the weirdness that’s going on.
Are we still talking about uncircumcised penises?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
They are not real leather, but they've got a very similar texture/feel to leather, albeit thinner leather (the kind you'd expect to find in a Camry anyway). They're wearing quite well for being an ex-rental car, and we have about 47k miles on it now. The centers are still cloth. They do look nice, I'm a fan of how they're laid out.

Comfort-wise, the most we've done in the car is ~4 hours and they're aggressively-medium comfort-wise (I'd say maybe a 7.5-8 out of 10). I've done ~7 hrs to Montreal and back in a '19 LE rental (I imagine they are the same seats, just different material) and I had no complaints about those either. Could just be my standards, because I prefer seats that are more heavily bolstered, and have more substantial-feeling leather - the Mk5/Mk6 GIT Autobahn leather seats are some of the best that I've ever sampled. Among my favorite cars that I've owned, the Mk6 JSW had awesome long-haul comfortable seats, especially for a base model (it was a '13 2.5S).

But back to the Camry, the seats have good padding and decent support. I imagine larger Americans might find them a bit narrow, but then again this is a more swoopier and lower design for a Camry so that might not have been their target market. The material is also much better than expected from a mass-market Japanese car that's designed to turn a profit at $25k new.

One thing I noticed about the TRD Camry is that they used the same seats as the SE. That would disappoint me if I were buying a TRD Camry because I'd be expecting better seats, but I think the standard V6 might be enough to distract me. Ironically, the TRD is the cheapest way to get the V6.
Strange that it seems to be quite common in the USA for cars to be sold with these sorts of vinyl seats. In many other places it's usually leather or cloth unless it's a commercial style pickup/van in which case vinyl or cloth are usually the options.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Strange that it seems to be quite common in the USA for cars to be sold with these sorts of vinyl seats. In many other places it's usually leather or cloth unless it's a commercial style pickup/van in which case vinyl or cloth are usually the options.
I can't really speak for other model lines in the US, but I do agree that it seems to be coming more commonplace for mid-level trims to come with leatherette rather than the standard cloth/leather option. I recently had a Ford Fusion SEL (another mid-level model) as a rental and it came with Ford's version of leatherette, which was thicker and had decent grain to it. Felt more upscale than the Toyota version, which makes sense given that the SEL stickers closer to $30k - remember that the SE is at closer to $26k now.

As I said before, the Toyota version (called Softex) is texturally-correct for the soft, thin leather that was typically available in this type of car.

IIRC, this is a similar strategy that VW used with the Jetta. Beginning with the Mk5 I believe, most trims above base were trimmed in leatherette (GLI had a leather option). Same with NMS Passats I believe.

Not sure how it is in the ROW, but at least in the US, it makes sense to be able to give the cockpit a more premium feel without the cost of real leather, especially since it seems that synthetics are becoming more texturally correct and (hopefully) just-as or more durable than the leather offerings of the past. Particularly in mass-market offerings from Japanese or domestic cars in the '90s/'00s, it's pretty bad quality stuff, nothing like on high-trim Euro models - the leather on my '94 NA Miata was embarrassingly thin. So, if there's a cheaper, more durable, but most of all aesthetically- and texturally-pleasing version being offered, I'm all for it - especially as the parent of a 1-year-old.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
I can't really speak for other model lines in the US, but I do agree that it seems to be coming more commonplace for mid-level trims to come with leatherette rather than the standard cloth/leather option. d.
My 13 SEL Passat has leather with suede inserts
My wife's 16 SE Passat has the leatherette.

I prefer the leatherette much more. It wears better and easier to clean. My Passat with leather is already wearing horribly on the bolsters @ 44K.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Killer Instinct: The Toyota Camry’s positive post-shutdown pandemic performance in a segment that’s still dying a little bit on the inside

The Toyota Camry may well go down as one of the ultimate soldiers in the American automotive marketplace: shooting straight despite distractions, marching forward undeterred by the terrain, somehow finding small victories when the losses are mounting, always ready to carry new recruits on its shoulders.

Somehow, amidst all of the recent economic turmoil and political unrest, and healthcare crises, the Toyota Camry’s U.S. sales trendline is outperforming the market at large while also embarrassing its direct rivals.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
European Camry Hybrid arriving with more dynamic design and updated safety technology

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Looks like the classiest execution of their grille design so far.

FINALLY they're up to snuff with their infotainment, and this is an excellent execution - I like how they managed to keep the screen in the high line of sight but not make it look like it's grossly protruding from the dash cap.

I'm sure that rear cabin luxury package won't ever come on any US trim...

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
FINALLY they're up to snuff with their infotainment, and this is an excellent execution - I like how they managed to keep the screen in the high line of sight but not make it look like it's grossly protruding from the dash cap.
'Excellent execution' seems pretty generous, considering how Toyota cheaped out on redesigning the upper dash so you have the awkward location of where the air vents used to be. It's good their upgrading their infotainment, but this was dialed in.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Just one more piece Toyota. V6 + AWD. Same for the ES now that the GS is dead.

·
Premium Member
E90 M3, S2000, 944S, 4Runner Trail, Mazda 3
12,396 Posts
'Excellent execution' seems pretty generous, considering how Toyota cheaped out on redesigning the upper dash so you have the awkward location of where the air vents used to be. It's good their upgrading their infotainment, but this was dialed in.
Not sure I'd say it's dialed in. It's the typical Toyota value added approach. I'm sure the least number of new tools and parts approach was taken for this, as they likely concluded that the only thing that mattered was the larger screen. It's just as hard to execute on that of deign brief, as it is to do a more major redesign. They're different approaches, and the difficulties of the two are in different areas, but I'd hardly say the effort was dialed in. And to the general consumer, the old ac vent location isn't going to matter, but the larger screen will.

441 - 458 of 458 Posts