VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tailpipe is about to come off, so I've been browsing through exhaust systems. I could just put another stock one on the car (97, 2.0), but I'll spring for a performance exhaust if there's a significant gain in horsepower and/or fuel economy, as the companies seem to claim. I'd actually prefer NOT to sound like a riceburner; I just want performance and longevity.
I was looking at these systems:
Germanautoparts.com: Techtonics complete aluminized cat-back system with 2.25 inch diameter mandrel bent tubing, with resonator, Dynomax muffler, and clamps. $225
Germanautoparts.com: Techtonics complete cat-back system with aluminized 2.25 inch diameter mandrel bent tubing, aluminized resonator, and stainless steel Borla muffler. Also includes clamps. $351
Performance Peddler: #15668: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2.25 SS tubing ## 3 rolled/slash/p-SS tips All Stainless Steel ## Mandrel-Bent ## Cat-Back Exhaust System With Polished Stainless Steel Tips. $385
Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Re: Truth to power/fuel economy gains with performance exhaust? (rrjudkins)

well they are all pretty much the same, the biggest difference being the stainless steel. depending on your climate, you could have the aluminized and have it last for years and years, or it could rot in 5 years.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Truth to power/fuel economy gains with performance exhaust? (irishgli)

I'm in OH, and I often drive to IL and MI, so the climate's pretty much the snow belt.
That makes me lean toward the stainless.

· Registered
1,085 Posts

ya i would too lol! stainless is shiny too, so thats always a plus.
any milage gain you might get will be cancelled out by your heavier gas foot once you have a nice exhaust tone.

· Registered
6,202 Posts

Quote, originally posted by irishgli »
any milage gain you might get will be cancelled out by your heavier gas foot once you have a nice exhaust tone.

so true

· Registered
6,202 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rrjudkins »
Not worried so much about the tone, though I know some people like it.
Significant hp increase?

i think when you hear it and think its cool youll do what we said. i was once where you were too

i wouldnt say significant increase

· Registered
1,085 Posts

slight increase in hp. it's more of a combo deal. you'll get more hp from an exhaust as you add more stuff.
just to warn you, an exhaust is how it starts. before you know it you'll be investing in a p-flow because your air filter is dirty. then you'll be throwin a new cam in, since you have the timing belt off already....
my wife hates when i say something on my cars needs fixin, cuz she knows i'll use it to justify an upgrade.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That road is clearly visible to me. Heh.
I just bought the car and got everything fixed and running last year, so apparently this is the year for upgrades. (And air conditioning. Stupid air conditioning.)

· Registered
6,202 Posts

slight increase in hp. it's more of a combo deal. you'll get more hp from an exhaust as you add more stuff.
just to warn you, an exhaust is how it starts. before you know it you'll be investing in a p-flow because your air filter is dirty. then you'll be throwin a new cam in, since you have the timing belt off already....
my wife hates when i say something on my cars needs fixin, cuz she knows i'll use it to justify an upgrade.

jeeze right again....guilty!
i said i'd stop doing stuff...but its like a drug! you get addicted!
i said just intake and exhaust and coils
coils, 4 sets of wheels, transmission swap, a motor swap, a set of cams and various other parts later...im still going

· Registered
1,609 Posts

Oh man I laughed so hard when I read this. I just got a stainless TT exhaust on my VR and that is exactly what happened. I originally thought I was going to get better milage and when I averaged about the same I was wondering why. I then realized that everywhere I went I was above 3K RPM with the peddal floored. I did however drive to work today (about 55 miles) got 29 MPG. I'd say there is some MPG gain but the HP gain is so much nicer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.