VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up a set of Mk3 seats. What do i do now? Is there a way to do it without welding? Im kind of anxious to do this.....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (VRpoweredA2)

I've heard on the pass. seat you can bend the outside bar or fram rail in about an inch or so and it will slide right in.The drivers side I heard you have to cut and weld cause of two bars on the bottom of the seat.Hope that helps. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
546 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (jetmk2)

Quote, originally posted by jetmk2 »
I've heard on the pass. seat you can bend the outside bar or fram rail in about an inch or so and it will slide right in.The drivers side I heard you have to cut and weld cause of two bars on the bottom of the seat.Hope that helps. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

man you people have no idea do you.... you should really try things out before you play by this vortex myth.....
the people that weld there mk3 seats in there mk2 just waste there money. you dont need to anything to the seat rails. you just have to play with the plastic pieces a bit but they slide right in.
VRpoweredA2 send me a IM and i can send you pics of my buddies interior with the mk2/mk3 console.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (pennywize182)

Sorry buddy.a guy I met the other day had some a3 seats in his Jetta Coupe and said that was the way HE did it.I was just going by what I heard(I've never compared the two myself),but you should be able to look at it and see what needs to be done.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (jetmk2)

Hmm....

ive heard of people either bending or welding the rails. But i'm pretty sure that they dont just slide right in. A2 rails are 19" apart, A3 rails are 21" apart. I just measured them this evening. But i have to figure out how to get these things without getting to crazy and not having to weld....

·
Registered
546 Posts

what seats are you running? my friend has 97 gti vr6 seats in his 88 coupe. we take them in and out with no problems (while building his car) so i would not see any problems with mounting them. i have pictures of them and would not be trying to help you out if i didnt know they worked without modding.

·
Registered
546 Posts

i dont exactly know what he did but it was nothing major!!!! i think he took out the platic pieces in the rails as i think the mk3 bases are taller? they are a tight fit, but there dam nice seats.

·
Registered
14,448 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pennywize182 »

man you people have no idea do you.... you should really try things out before you play by this vortex myth.....
the people that weld there mk3 seats in there mk2 just waste there money. you dont need to anything to the seat rails. you just have to play with the plastic pieces a bit but they slide right in.
VRpoweredA2 send me a IM and i can send you pics of my buddies interior with the mk2/mk3 console.

Your an idiot. If you didn't put them in, then don't comment.

You either have to cut/weld. Bend, weld. Or do alot of bending. I did the bend/weld as it looks way more factory and is the easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (Syonara_G60Style)

Quote, originally posted by Syonara_G60Style »

You either have to cut/weld. Bend, weld. Or do alot of bending. I did the bend/weld as it looks way more factory and is the easiest way to do it.

So I guess I wasn't too far off on my description then

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (jamaicula)

Still trying to sell them.
Some guy says hes "interested", but everytime we try to setup a date to meet up, ...something comes up.
Off topic but if anyone wants them, IM me.

The seats i got now are from a 99 A3 jetta. heated/airbags. Not that im going to use the airbag portion. the car had 38k miles on it so the seats are pretty damn mint. Seems like its a headache to put these things in though. I put the back ones in already. THe bottom part bolted right up, the upper portion i had to rig in there for now until i figure out about welding in the GTi style seat striker on the shock towers.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Take out your mk2 seats and set them next to your mk3 seats. You can compare the rails directly and you will see exactly what needs to be done. With a little ingenuity you can figure something out. It isn't too complicated. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Get creative, thats what i did.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (X-flow)

the seats i took out of a mk3 i had to cut the passenger side slide and move 2 3/4 in tho fit in the rails of my mk2. just grinded and welded the played with the seatbelt arrangement so it would flip up so i could get into the back seat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (i dont know)

couldnt you just take off the seat bracket from the mk2 seat and put it on the mk3 seat?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Re: Trying to put mk3 seats in my A2... (Syonara_G60Style)

Quote, originally posted by Syonara_G60Style »

i have taken them in and out many of times. there a tight fit but he didnt do ANY WELDING OR BENDING. this was a low budget 2dr 16v project and was kept this way for a reason, if welding would of been involved i know he would not of done it.
leathers may be different but i highly dout it. it can be done because i have seen it. your right i didnt put them in the first time but we took them in and out all the time during the building stages of his car.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts