VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing my timing cover on my 87 jetta 8v...the timing cover wver laps the valve cover and has a torx head bolt in the middle of the cover that wont screw out completly.....it turns and turns and looks like it is coming out but then it clicks after one full turn and isnt advancing out......anyone ever have that prob and if so how to fix?????
Thanks

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Re: Trying to remove timing cover.......Help (LEINIE187)

Sounds like maybe the hex nut is crosstheaded onto the stud so when you turn the stud wants to come out of the block. You have to release cover from all other hold downs and move it away from the block as you turn the hex and you will get stud out of block. Then you can hold stud with vice grips and get the hex off it. Check threads, maybe use tap and die to clean up if not too bad, otherwise buy new stud and hex nut.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Re: Trying to remove timing cover.......Help (LEINIE187)

I had a cross threaded bolt on my windsheild wiper motor. Unfortunatly, i had to take a hacksaw to it.
But anyways, I recently did my valve cover gasket on the My 85GTi, and took the timing belt cover off in the process. I think there are like 3 bolts you need to get: 2 on top and one on the left side. After that it shoulkd come off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.