VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to start the rabbit HELP ME PLEASE :)

HELP PLEASE!!! this car has been sitting for years...i replaced battery and tried starting it...no clicks nothing...so I figure lets try and pop the clutch and see if it runs...couldnt get that to work....but the starter checked out bad also...but shouldnt I be able to pop start it w/out a working starter? anyone got any ideas for waht to check for??

Modified by REDMK2GTI at 10:51 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: trying to start the rabbit (REDMK2GTI)

please someone...HELP ME im trying to get this thing started by the end of the week..I pulled the starter and it only spun when i stuck it straight to the starter...and it spun barely..

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: trying to start the rabbit HELP ME PLEASE :) (REDMK2GTI)

Need more details....what type of fuel system (injected, carbed, etc.)...what year of Rabbit....any modifications....etc. Regards, WWR.
P.S. When working on older VWs, a service manual is your best friend. The Bentley series are probably the best source of information, in terms of troubleshooting.

Modified by WackyWabbitRacer at 11:25 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: trying to start the rabbit HELP ME PLEASE :) (WackyWabbitRacer)

we had the bently it helped a bit.....okay its an 81 with a 1.7 bottom end 1.8 head...CIS injection..its got a callaway stage 2 turbo kit on it....the car had been sitting for years with out running so i drained all the gas...every kind of fluid out of hte car and replaced it b4 i even attempted to turn the key...when i did that and turned the key nothing no interior power nothing...I replaced the battery got lights and fuel pumps wizzing...but when i try to start it..NOTHING no clicks from the starter at all...so i pulled hte starter hooked it up to a battery charger and tested it...the starter did nothing when i put hte positive cable to the solenoid...but when i went straight to the starter it turned but it looked dodgey (seemed to struggle)..so im going to replace the starter...but I just dont understand why it wouldnt have started by popping the clutch in 2nd....I was thinking maybe the starter will give it the power it needs to really turn the motor for hte first time in years and get it going??

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

Since the fuel system is CIS and the car has been sitting for years, the Control Plunger in the CIS metering unit is probably stuck due to dried gas. This is quite common on CIS systems that have been sitting for several years.
The Bentley has the procedure for removing the CIS metering unit and cleaning the Control Plunger.
Don't take apart the CIS metering unit because there a zillion small springs and valves inside of it. However, I would spray some carb cleaner into every orifice of the metering unit.
Also the solenoid plunger is probably stuck in its bore. Remove the solenoid housing from the starter, and clean the plunger and bore with a good solvent. Then put a light coat of oil on the bore, and reassemble.
Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ill try that...the starter looked pretty gunked up.....so spraying the carb cleaner into the metering unit should be a fairly simple task correct?

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by REDMK2GTI »
.....so spraying the carb cleaner into the metering unit should be a fairly simple task correct?

You will have to remove the CIS metering unit per the Bentley so the Control Plunger can be accessed. If the Control Plunger is stuck, then you may have to spray carb cleaner into all of the orifices of the metering unit, and let the metering unit soak for a while.
Don't let the Control Plunger drop on a hard surface as it can be damaged. The fit between the Control Plunger and its bore is a micro-finish. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

make shure its not seized also... use a 19mm wrench on the crank bolt to break it free if it is... a little oil in the cylinders might help it out too if it has low compression..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts