VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i have been out of the seen since i sold my mkv about a year and a half ago. since hearing of the R coming to the states im ready to jump back in head first :) and wanna know the limitation of the fuel system..... pump, injectors ect.... of the TSI motor. does anyone make an upgrade pump/injector like the FSI? any BT tsi out there? 3071/3076/35r?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
APR currently has the only BT kit for the TSI motor.
BSH is working on getting a tune setup for a 3071 or 3076 (we dont know right now, details havent been released).
THe limits of the injectors and the HPFP havent been maxed out yet.
Arin has hinted that APR has already developed a solution, but it isnt needed yet.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
BSH is working on getting a tune setup for a 3071 or 3076 (we dont know right now, details havent been released).
Arin has hinted that APR has already developed a solution, but it isnt needed yet.

very true, however if i am not mistaken isn't the golf R/TT-S engine basically an updated w/ko4 FSI engine and not a ramped up TSI? Thats what I thought, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
THe pictures of the Golf R show TSI on the engine cover, but everything else looks like its an FSI motor.

The Golf R in the UK uses an FSI motor

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
oh and add ej400 kit to this they are working on tsi software for it

·
Vendor
20,809 Posts
Hardware essentially 'fits' between the old FSI engine and the TSI so for the next 12 years people will tell you have a kit coming soon.

:laugh:

BTW, the golf R, despite saying TSI on the engine cover, is the older FSI engine.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Arin - Can you confirm if any of the FSI problems been fixed in this engine? If so, which ones still exist?
read the FAQ, the TSI is a complete redesign from the FSI.

THe FSI weakpoints were the cam follower and PCV, both of those have been fixed.
As for the TSI in the long run the timing chain could be a PITA

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i believe he was referring to the .:R motor which is an fsi belt driven and is not direct injected like the tsi

the timing chain will likely never fail on 90% if tsi's...the only way that will happen is chain tensioner failures
Yes I was referring to the R, which I believe is the Med113 if I'm not mistaking...?, thank you for clarifying.

Edit: But I do believe the med113 is also direct injected like the med17.

·
Vendor
20,809 Posts
Arin - Can you confirm if any of the FSI problems been fixed in this engine? If so, which ones still exist?
It's the same engine in the later S3 and TT-S. Other than power items, it's the same design.

i believe he was referring to the .:R motor which is an fsi belt driven and is not direct injected like the tsi

the timing chain will likely never fail on 90% if tsi's...the only way that will happen is chain tensioner failures

Both TSI and FSI are Direct Injection.

Yes I was referring to the R, which I believe is the Med113 if I'm not mistaking...?, thank you for clarifying.

Edit: But I do believe the med113 is also direct injected like the med17.
FSI = EA113
TSI = EA888

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Im not saying the chain will fail but over time it will need to be replaced as the chain starts to get slack. This is a wear item and will eventually need to be replaced like a belt. Only diference being is that a belt is MUCH easier to replace than a chain.

·
Banned
4,208 Posts
We have rebuilt a few TSI (chain) engines and removing everything isn't too bad, although we have been removing the engine from the vehicle and completing the rebuilds on a engine stand in the clean room

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
We have rebuilt a few TSI (chain) engines and removing everything isn't too bad, although we have been removing the engine from the vehicle and completing the rebuilds on a engine stand in the clean room

If you dont mind me asking but why have you rebuilt a TSI motor already?
The TSI motor hasnt been around for THAT long, less you put in some built internals?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
If you dont mind me asking but why have you rebuilt a TSI motor already?
The TSI motor hasnt been around for THAT long, less you put in some built internals?

By built, I'm certain Pat means built for race use, with their bangin' rods and and other items.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
1 - 20 of 119 Posts