VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TSI pistons in ABA 16V

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Butcher 
#1 ·
Happy New Year everyone...been reading a lot about ABA 16V motors and I was wondering if any one has used 2010+ TSI pistons (21 mm pins) in PL/KR/ABF motor build? I know the valve angles are different. Would the valve cut outs work? Is the TSI compression height too short? The bore and stroke is the same. I know JE/Wiseco and Wossner make the pistons but I really like the Mahle Power Packs in their own M142P alloy.

#5 ·
^^^THIS^^^is why I was asking the question. The Mahle Power Packs are affordable, tight tolerances, super square ring lands that are also anodized. Two things that I was mostly wondering is if the valve cut outs will work and the fact that they have higher comp ratio (9.3/1). Oh well, I ordered some Wossners and will be taking measurements and pictures side by side with the Mahles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I have a few sets of used pistons from 1.8tsi engine(oil burner engine version, think ea888?), seems to have the same bore size, i could do some crude measurements with a vernier caliper next time i go to my storage place. And take some pictures if needed. I dont think the oil sqiurter clearence will be a issue, they have very short skirts from memory. Rods are also beefy in the right places, shame you cant use them on older engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.