VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor works at an Acura dealer and threw me the keys of a demo, so I wrung it out for about an hour.
1. Sweet suspension.
2. Power underwhelming for the weight. My Passat ran the 1/4 mile a little quicker that Car and Driver's time for the TSX, and I weigh a little more
3. Heel and toe - nice.
4. Interior is first-rate ; the seats are excellent.

Final analysis: I'll keep the VW and get a suspension.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Re: TSX 6-speed test drive (DrPassat)

I saw the write-up in C&D and was quite impressed by the value. They said it was a very nice car and an additional 50hp would've put it over the top.
Anything else you can share about it?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

exactly... I want to get new suspension around 70-80K... we'll see.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: TSX 6-speed test drive (pipes)

I agree. I saw one in the parking lot the other night, and I thought it looked really nice. Good clean, well proportioned styling, and Honda really knows how to do shifters, and front drive suspensions. Actually between that car and the RSX Acura really has a couple of winners. Now if they could just bring out a new RL and a new TL/CL in the same flavor they'd really have a winning lineup.

·
Registered
157 Posts

I test drove a TSX two weeks ago and I agree that the car really nice.
1. Shifter is fantasic, Honda/Acura sure knows how to make Manual Trannies
2. Great seats
3. Lovely dash lighting (LED lighting is SHARP!)
4. Good storage compartments up front (Passat storage compartments suck)
5. Feels very nimble (partly being a smaller car), and handling is flat and quick
Dislikes:
1. Trunk pass through is constricted (like all hondas), VW/Audi has a full open pass through which is a must have for me
2. Sunroof control is typical 3 button control, I like the rotary dial much better
3. Underpowered, but perhaps I wasn't reving high enough, and its a new car (not a torquey engine)
4. Certain aspects of the interior still scream 'entry level accord' like the door locks, plastic door pull handles
5. The exterior styling is not as cool as some newer designs by other makes out there.
At the end of the test drive, I *really* liked the car, and I agreed with most everything Car N Driver had reviewed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: TSX 6-speed test drive (Sprocket)

Quote, originally posted by Sprocket »
I saw the write-up in C&D and was quite impressed by the value. They said it was a very nice car and an additional 50hp would've put it over the top.
Anything else you can share about it?

Well, yes. The motor was smooth and power delivery seemed linear, but to get the thrust that I am accustomed to required lots of revving. Still, the torque doesn't stink like other high revving Japanese fours. I found myself a little over redline once or twice on accident.
The body roll is very minimal. The suspension and the front seat were my two favorite things about the car. Rapid transition from a left to right turn or vice versa is always smooth and controlled. The Passat V6 gets a little squirrelly with the stock suspension in these moves (although my tire/wheel upgrade helps some). I agree with the above kudos about the interior and the shifter - both first rate.
Styling is clean, although slightly "boy racer-ish."
In short, I could really live with the TSX. If I had less than $30k to spend on a new ride, it would be in the top 2 or 3. But since my 1999 Passat is no longer owned by the bank as of next Spring, a payment-free car sounds appealing. I will probably pony up for H&R Springs, Bilsteins, and exhaust, and see how enjoyable a 4-5 year old car can become.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: TSX 6-speed test drive (D Clymer)

Quote, originally posted by D Clymer »
I agree. I saw one in the parking lot the other night, and I thought it looked really nice. Good clean, well proportioned styling, and Honda really knows how to do shifters, and front drive suspensions. Actually between that car and the RSX Acura really has a couple of winners. Now if they could just bring out a new RL and a new TL/CL in the same flavor they'd really have a winning lineup.

Regarding the CL/TL lineup, my Acura dealer connection says that the upgrade is in the chute. He says to expect the base TL/CL to have the current Type S motor (260 hp) and the Type S motor to make 300 hp. I guess it was embarassing to have the Accord V6 easily outgun the base TL.
I realize this is a Passat forum, but most of us are enthusiasts with open minds to any enthusiast hardware. I hope the our beloved VWAG takes the opportunity to learn what the competition is doing and upgrade the Passat accordingly. Unfortunately, the changes don't seem to occur at VW in a timely manner. By the time VW fires its volley in the horsepower war, the targets have moved, at least with the Passat. Proof? Altima. Accord. TL/CL. The first two upgraded cars will be 2-3 years old by the time the B6 emerges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts