VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an oppurtunity to buy an as good as new (2300km) 225hp TT engine, it comes without the K04 turbo though so I'll have to find one of those but that shouldn't be so hard.
So my question is can I just swap engines? The TT engine comes with the ECU and wiring harness if I'm correctly informed.
From my understanding I'll at least have to upgrade my intercooler to a larger one or two small ones like on the TT.
Will the RS 5-speed gearbox fit correctly? will the clutch die on me really fast?
Is it necessary to change the exhaust to a larger one as well? And if so do I need to change it all the way from the turbo?
Or should I just forget about the whole thing? I just thought it could be nice to have 225hp as a base before chipping that could bring power up to 250+ hp

[Modified by bighen, 1:16 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (bighen)

Nice idea, I saw some new (!!) TT225 units for sale and considered the same, but figured it would a large and expensive project. Guess the best first step is to find someone a) experienced in VAG units and b) is willing to undertake the engine swap, let them do the research and put a cost on it before you commit to anything, else it may just cos you more and more and have problems.
That said, the 225 unit has to be a good base to start tuning from!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (Tavia4x4)

Acrtually I talked to a VAG mechanic I know today and he said he didn't want to do it
I think I'll have to talk him into doing it, maybe buy him some

·
Registered
270 Posts

Don't do it, and give me the adress where I can find that engine
No serious. Take a look at the RS from RRS tuning. He has the TT engine in his car.
Give him a call when you have some questions. Ask for Mike.
Grt. Dick http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts

Well I dont see the point of putting the 225BHp Engine into the RS. Its front wheel drive and anything over 250BHp will not handle that well through the front wheels. Remember the TT is 4WD.
I also had the SKODA senior technician out to inspect my car for another issue that i wont go into just yet. he told me that the best power increase he has seen on the RS is 280BHp.
So maybe you can save cash by investing in what you have rather than the grief of will it fit????
Take care guys

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (nigele)

"handels badly with over 250 hp.. " thats nonsense..!
life isnt between 0-60..
you can have 400 hp in your RS if you want.
Harder engine mounts, better bushings for the front wheels, mecanical differental and GOOD tires thats a combination that can't go wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (SkodaRS)

I didnt say it would handle badly, I said it would handle that well through front wheel drive compared to a 4 wheel drive vehicle !!!
I am sure you can get more power than 280BHp. I have seen Renault 5 GT Turbos with in excess of 450BHp. All i am stating is that the SKODA Technician in the UK had seen the 280BHp car and reported that it was an easy modification without much expense.
So calm down guys and dont take it so personally

·
Registered
111 Posts

[I also had the SKODA senior technician out to inspect my car for another issue that i wont go into just yet. he told me that the best power increase he has seen on the RS is 280BHp.]
......intrigued by this bit nigele, major problem we need to know about?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (Paul T)

Well, since I could get the TT engine for such a good price I think it would be smarter/easier to tune the TT engine and keep my standard engine so I can swap them out if I sell my RS. And I know that the TT easily can be tuned to 260 hp with more or less just a chip.
And to get 260 hp out of my RS engine that would be a lot more expensive and if I should happen to ruin the engine I would have financial problems. If I ruin the cheap TT engine I could always put the stock engine back in again.
And by cheap TT engine I'm talking about less than £1000 for it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: TT 225hp engine in my RS? (Paul T)

Hi Paul
My Brakes failed on the car. Causing me to crash coming off the A164. Skoda have well covered it up, but we had independant reports carried out on the car and found brake fluid etc... leaking from master cylinder.
I also found a recall from Audi regarding the same problem i was experiencing re Reduced braking performance in the Wet. Skoda admitted Audi had not passed on the information and then fobbed me off.
The car is coming up for 6 months old and i have used it for 6 weeks. It is still at the dealer now being fixed. Good eh!!
To be fair to Barkers Skoda they have been great especially Phil in Service. They have tried to help me but their hands are tied by Skoda.
Oh this bit is especially good!!! Skoda have refused to give me a loan car for the last two and half months. And now they refuse to talk to me. They have sent that to me in writing. So be careful. There product is good, but the customer service is the worst i have ever known in my life of motoring.

[Modified by nigele, 3:32 PM 4-16-2002]

·
Registered
111 Posts

Sorry to hear that, off to Barkers myself tonight to see Phil (can only agree about his service - excellent! ), I'm off for something very minor.....just had the 10,000mile service so wanted them to set the next service to the VARIABLE INTERVAL setting. They've had to seek advice on how to do this, hence this quick visit.
Thought it strange to see a yellow RS there everytime I pass.........
See you on the road in a few days/weeks no doubt!

·
Registered
17 Posts

FOR £1000 I WOULD SNAP THE ENGINE UP MYSELF!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU, GO FOR IT. £1000

lets hope in a years time you are not the guy selling an RS engine for £1000 because you binned your Skoda/TT lol

·
Registered
311 Posts

Hi nigele sorry to hear about your car I was in a similar situation as you after my car was involved in an accident towards the end of last year. It took three months to get my car back!! I tend to agree with you about Skoda UK customer service. What I did was to post my complaint on the Skoda Auto website this seems to get things moving along. I was contacted by a Skoda customer service manager who acted on my behalf and kept me informed of the progress on my parts. As a result of my complaint Skoda paid for a courtesy car, extened my warranty by three months and fitted reverse park sensors free of charge. I hope things get sorted out soon, belive me I know exactly how you feel.
Later
LLB

·
Registered
311 Posts

Hi nigele the car feels great but there is a lot more to come. The car has only done just over 5000 miles since new in October 2001 so I think things will improve as I put more miles on the clock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.