VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (Exotic_G60)

sure. plop it in. The 268/260 cam is a good choice for the G60/lysholm blowers to extend your powerband from 5500 to 6000rpm's.
don't forget cam seal, valve cover gasket, new lifters

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (Exotic_G60)

Quote, originally posted by Exotic_G60 »
y new lifters???

Because lifter wear is specific to the cam used, regardless of whether they're functioning or not. If you don't replace your lifters, you'll eat up your cam in a very short amount of time. Replace your lifters, or replace your cam.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (LagunaSecaBlueMK3)

Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaBlueMK3 »
is a 268/260 cam very agressive for a G60 or is that a average cam that people plop in all the time?

Average, not aggressive really at all. Lift is .432" I think.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (sold on expense)

anyone have a BBM 268/260 cam on hand that could measure the lobe w/ a caliper , i think that might be why i have a problem i looked at it doesnt look worn but who knows

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (SSj4G60)

I highly recommend the TT cam. new lifter are good because it's a "while you're in there" thing and the ones in there are worn according to the stock cam. a cam seal and valve cover seal would be smart. also, although you dont need it, I used cam lube (assembly lube) on the lobes. the TT cams dont need the 20 minute break-in like some cams need also. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (zedcorrado)

i recommend you get a BIG ASS cam and go for it.
i'd bet $5 that a 276/272 grind would kick ass over a 268/260 all day even on a stock head.
One must wonder why folks don't bother to try different cames. Like 276/276 or even reverse split cams..
You probably can squeak out another 10-15whp with a much more aggressive cam. Might have emissions issue but fuggit.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (mrkrad)

Quote, originally posted by mrkrad »
i recommend you get a BIG ASS cam and go for it.
i'd bet $5 that a 276/272 grind would kick ass over a 268/260 all day even on a stock head.
One must wonder why folks don't bother to try different cames. Like 276/276 or even reverse split cams..
You probably can squeak out another 10-15whp with a much more aggressive cam. Might have emissions issue but fuggit.

I've wondered the same, why people dont' use aggressive cams. I mean, with a supercharger, not like you have to worry too much about losing low end torque, especially with a smaller pulley and a ported charger.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: TT 268/260 cam (TBT-PassatG60)

i run a big ass cam on my camaro and its n/a (harder). Guess what, it still goes faster
Matter of fact im scoping out this new cam, does 451whp on the stock ls1 block (no head porting/cams). One year ago 451whp was the max HEADS (we're talking 280-300cfm intake) and cam on the ls1 was amazing. Now those people are scratching their nutz wondering why they spent $3000 to make the same as a bumpstick will do.
I think there's more to big cams, people just gotta innovate, try. The 276/272 has proven gains on the ported heads, why not on the stock?
You may lose some low end, but we got bizzoost to help with that. I'd honestly take some of my 62mm torque low end and trade it in for peak whp any day. More lift More duration. CAT will probably cut you a custom grind for the same price lol.
The stock cam is a 112.5LSA thats pretty aggressive. But you could do some tweaking.
If you think about it. Reverse split cams (say 268/272) would probably work even better since we need to move air out of the head even more so. The nitrous heads have been using reverse split cams for years cause they need more exhaust. Might we worth a shot.
I don't think PTV clearance is a big deal on the stock PG block. I hope in the future more people will try things to bring more power from what we got. my bet still stands.. I think its a lack of development (cam wise) more so than anything thats leaving us in the dark ages...
reversion can be dealt with, the biggest pita is emissions. Unfortunately we don't have the benefits of newer car ecu hacking (obd-2) to get away with as much in most states. Here is you got all but 1 readiness code set and no CEL, you pass. Doesn't matter if your car smells like a gross polluter.
Thats the tricky part.
Anyone care to theorize on big cams a little more? Duration? Lift? Lobe Ramp? LSA? I'm guessing the off the shelf cam's are just knockoffs and there's a lot of room to play.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts

i believe you are right sam about most of the shelf cams just being knock offs .. i was flipping threw a comp cams catalog at school and noticed they had a 260 duration cam for the g60 in there
alot of people dont realize advertised duration measured from the lobe clearence ramps when the valve is not actually off the seat and flowing ANY air at all . you should measure the duration from .050 lift at opening to .050 lift at closing . you will often see a 320degree "advertised" duration cam is more like a 220 degree when measure at .050
and for people that dont know what LSA is .. its lobe seperation agle .. the degrees between the max lift ont he intake lobe to the max lift ont he exhaust lobe (compaion)
if you want to find the overlap of a cam you can use this formula
overlap=duration -2x(LSA)
i myself am running a autotech 270 witha .449 lift .. mostly on part that i got it new for 90 dollars shipped . . in school we havent gotten into cam choice selections, but ill come back and post on here and post more about it when i learn it

·
Registered
20,415 Posts

i may be selling G60 cams soon. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. It's going to be a big asym cam, with a FI lobe center. I'll post more details when i have them.
Sam is correct when he mentions exhaust gains. The biggest problem with the 260 cam isn't what it gets into the motor. It's the cams inability to get exhaust out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts