VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like your help in narrowing my search for a TT.
What is the "preferred" model, and year for this car?
In asking that, I mean... which has performance or reliability advantages.
Are they as bitchy as the MKIV VW Golf/Jetta/Beetle?
What's the frequency of repairs on stuff like A/C?
Am I asking too much to use it as a daily-driver?
Thanks for any help you can offer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
517 Posts
maybe the 01 and up 225 quattro. there shouldnt be any problems except for normal wear and tear. the 225 has the strengthened internals.
one thing you might want to be cautious of if you get a manual transmission is a syncronator grind. as long as you switch the tranny fluid over to Redline MT-90 it should take care of everything.

· Registered
330 Posts
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (dl337)

I've got an 03 225Q coupe with 33,000miles on the clock and I beat the snot out of it on a daily basis and have zero problems unlike my very cranky 01 MK4 jetta.

Modified by MaximDB1 at 6:56 PM 8/18/2006

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (JohnLZ7W)

Thanks for the info fellas.
Your comments are well-supported by the price gap between the 2000 and 2002 models.
The 99/00models are all selling for $12K USD, while the 2001+ are all selling for around $23k+. The $11K price gap tells me that there is a trunk-full of gremlins waiting for me in the older models. Is that fair to say?
Is Quattro a plus or minus, in terms of reliability/maintainance? And in terms of performance?
I have driven the V6 4Motion Golf.. it corners like a wild dog (I mean that you can accellerate heavily through a corner). Is that similar to the quattro? Or is Quattro more about stability under slippery conditions? I live in the desert where it rains once a year and wouldn't be able to take advantage of any safety benefits.
Is the Quattro "just one more thing to break, and pay a fortune repairing" or... is it fairly stable?
Most of you probably have 6spd manual, I'd imagine? I'm leaning towards a tiptronic, as the bumper-to-bumper traffic here would be too much of a workout in a manual. Is there anything special about the tiptronic I should know? Is it a grenade waiting to go off?
Are there variations of production facility - ie. did they all come from Germany?
For now, I'll consider cars such as these:
http://dubizzle.com/Categories...=8526
http://www.dubaidonkey.com/VL/...15396
http://www.dubaidonkey.com/VL/...15437
And avoid these:
Quote, originally posted by Gulf News Classifieds »
Audi TT Coupe, 2000 model, black colour, quattro, 6 speed, manual, FSH, fitted with lambo doors, expat owned. Dhs 60,000/-. Call 050-4526752.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (sharons03jetta)

I work on VAG cars daily,and to be honest my 00'TT is more reliable than most of the VW's that come in.
I think a lot has to do with previous owners when it comes to how well a TT is mechanically.
The 225 is more complex and is costlier when it comes to parts and repair due the the more complex turbo system as well as the Haldex system,and added complexity/more parts with the quattro drivetrain.
You have 2X as many driveshafts and CV boots to wear out,and transmission is more difficult (read expensive)to remove for clutch work,and you have driveshaft,rear diff,and many bushings on the rear multi-link suspension to wear out.
If you are the owner pre-100K,then you will enjoy a excellent car,and only usually after 100K do the things I mentioned above become a issue.These are very well built, and tough cars,and see no reason why they won't do 200K on same engine and trans if properly maintained.
The above reasons (and the fact I do not have many twisty roads/no snow in my area)are why I picked a 180hp FWD,also because I plan to keep it past 100K(58K now) and if I ever blew a tranny or motor,a unit from some model Golfs/Jettas will bolt right in.Basically I went for simplicity,the the less complex,the fewer things that can break,and these cars are (relatively) cheap to keep on the road.'
A lot also depends on where you live,and what type of service facilities are available........if you live far away from a good Audi shop,then get the 180HP FWD basically a VW.
If you have a good service shop and don't mind the added expense,and complexity,get a 180TTQ,or 225TTQ.
As for years,the later ones seem to have fewr elctrical isses,and better vacuum hoses.Gauge clusters also have less failures.
Good luck.....all TT's rock!

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Re: (GTImafia)

Quote, originally posted by GTImafia »
one thing you might want to be cautious of if you get a manual transmission is a syncronator grind. as long as you switch the tranny fluid over to Redline MT-90 it should take care of everything.

Could you elaborate on this a bit please. I am looking at a used 2001 TT 225 coupe that has 18,000 miles on it. It is perfect in every single way except for the following 'tiny' thing.
When you let out the clutch from a dead stop a faint scraping sound can be heard coming from the engine compartment. It literally lasts just long enough for the car to get rolling. ~1 mph or less. It only happens in a forward gear, not in reverse. Otherwise like I said before the car is flawless, the transmission shifts smoothly in every gear up and down (no grinding). It only makes this sound when you are stopped and are getting started out. Any Ideas?
The best comparison I can make is that the sound is similar to the sound you hear when you hit the brakes for the first time after it rains and your brake pads rub off the surface rust on the rotors.

Modified by peruski at 1:37 PM 8/19/2006

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Mainetenance history ought to guide you, regardless of age
2000 TTQC, 99K miles daily-driver (100 round trip). Dealer maintained CPO car. Love it.

· Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (VWAUDITECH)

Quote, originally posted by VWAUDITECH »
I work on VAG cars daily,and to be honest my 00'TT is more reliable than most of the VW's that come in.
I think a lot has to do with previous owners when it comes to how well a TT is mechanically.
The 225 is more complex and is costlier when it comes to parts and repair due the the more complex turbo system as well as the Haldex system,and added complexity/more parts with the quattro drivetrain.

The 00 TTq 180 also has haldex and hence the complexity. The FWD have the absolutely HORRID 02J transmission that is known to have faulty 2nd gear synchro's. The Quattro's feature the much better 02M tranny - even the 5 speed 180hp quattros.
Quote »
You have 2X as many driveshafts and CV boots to wear out,and transmission is more difficult (read expensive)to remove for clutch work,and you have driveshaft,rear diff,and many bushings on the rear multi-link suspension to wear out.
If you are the owner pre-100K,then you will enjoy a excellent car,and only usually after 100K do the things I mentioned above become a issue.These are very well built, and tough cars,and see no reason why they won't do 200K on same engine and trans if properly maintained.

However - the better designed rear suspension and the haldex lead to a much improved driving experience regardless of the added "complexity" and weight. I've owned my share of FWD VW's and Audi Quattro's and I'd never go back to fwd.
Quote »
The above reasons (and the fact I do not have many twisty roads/no snow in my area)are why I picked a 180hp FWD,also because I plan to keep it past 100K(58K now) and if I ever blew a tranny or motor,a unit from some model Golfs/Jettas will bolt right in.Basically I went for simplicity,the the less complex,the fewer things that can break,and these cars are (relatively) cheap to keep on the road.'
A lot also depends on where you live,and what type of service facilities are available........if you live far away from a good Audi shop,then get the 180HP FWD basically a VW.

Your lucky since your a Tech - because you will have a problem with the 02J - at some point in time.
Quote »
If you have a good service shop and don't mind the added expense,and complexity,get a 180TTQ,or 225TTQ.
As for years,the later ones seem to have fewr elctrical isses,and better vacuum hoses.Gauge clusters also have less failures.
Good luck.....all TT's rock!

Not really - the same issues haunt the later 03-05 models as the earlier in terms of instrument clusters problems and fuel sending units and glove box locks breaking. The revised vacuum of the BEA engines is better and less prone to failure. You also have VVT and get slightly better gas mileage.

Modified by [email protected] at 12:57 PM 9-3-2006

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The LCD in the gauge cluster is almost toast.. the windows don't go down smooth.
But, I'm not looking for a perfect car. Let's face it - this is Dubai, I'm going to crash it within a year or two.

· Banned
283 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dl337 »
The LCD in the gauge cluster is almost toast.. the windows don't go down smooth.
But, I'm not looking for a perfect car. Let's face it - this is Dubai, I'm going to crash it within a year or two.

cluster is 1K
no idea about the window

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (Frozen_SUn)

Does this sound like a car that I could drive for a couple years? Or is it going to fall apart tomorrow?
My current car has so many problems, because I never, ever fix something that's not "serious".
If I approached a TT with the same tough love - how would it fare? Are they pretty stout?

· Registered
9,473 Posts

The cluster problem is very common - wont' affect anything really - as are the window regulators. I'd replace the window regulator - but the cluster isn't a big deal if you can live with it.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? ([email protected])

With a car at that age, I don't feel it's so "precious"... no need for fine win and caviar if you know what I mean. (I don't even know what I mean)

I can live with the cluster, I think.
The stereo will need to be replaced.. but it's too bad cause I love the design of it.. the big button in the centre of the unit. It's just the tape that's done.. maybe I could still hook an ipod up to it somehow? Is this just like VW where you can do that through the CD changer plug?
I would hate to get an aftermarket unit that prevents me from closing the stereo cover... that thing just looks too cool to leave it open!!!

· Registered
1,028 Posts

I have an 02 TT 225Q Coupe. I have the cluster problem (fuel is whacked out). I'll be a little above the 1/4 tank mark and the fuel light will come on. Other than that, and the broken switch for the passenger window (rolls up but not down from pass side) there are no problems at all. I may be selling it soon so if you want a good deal, IM me.
Adam

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: TT - best & worst model/year? (adamprice271)

Hey! thanks for the offer, but I'm on the wrong side of the globe - Dubai!!
Sounds like your windows are the same idea as MKIV VWs huh?

· Registered
1,028 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dl337 »
Sounds like your windows are the same idea as MKIV VWs huh?

No, the retard who had it before me didn't take care of it. The window switch was jammed down, and it cannot be undone. I took off the door card and everything and I just need a new switch. When I took delivery of the car (had it shipped to St. Louis, MO from San Fransisco California) the paint was all gritty and gross. I took 8 hours to fully detail the car with claybar and a 4 stage wax...but then the paint was like new again. Too bad you are so far away but goodluck.
Adam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.