VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 298 Posts

·
Banned
5,888 Posts
Re: (TurboRob)

Quote, originally posted by TurboRob »
Damn Germans! Ngah!

Looks good Chris, can't wait to see it next month.

It'll still be on the lift, with no progress.
And you spelled it wrong, NYAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Re: (Euphoria)

Speaking of taking apart TT's... Under Rear Bumper and Components I see Balance Weight listed... how much does it weigh, and can I remove it? It looks like it would be removed in the OP's progress. It has different parts listed for coupes and verts.
It's number #19 below:

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Re: (skydaman)

looks like its to balance #15. I dont think it would make a large difference unless its somewhat heavy.

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Re: (cincyTT)

I read something about this a while back; no one could/can figure out what its for exactly, and other TTers have taken it off with no consequences. I think it remember that it is like 30lbs, or something significant. Search here and on AW for specifics...

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Re: (l88m22vette)

Quote, originally posted by cincyTT »
looks like its to balance #15. I dont think it would make a large difference unless its somewhat heavy.

#15 is a guide center? Here's the list:
1) Bumper cover
2) Reinf plate Reinf plate Right
3) Bolt Upper Back
4) Bolt Lower Back
5) U-nut U-nut Back
6) Screw Screw Back
7) Filler Right
8) 1.8 liter W/180 hp
9) Clip Clip Back
10) Screw Screw Back
11) Towing eye Fwd
12) Impact bar
13) Impact bar Rivet
14) Impact bar Nut
15) Guide Center
16) Outer Outer Right
17) Nut Nut Back
18) Outer bracket Right
19) Balance weight Coupe
20) Spacer plate Right
21) Packing Right
22) Protector Back

Quote, originally posted by l88m22vette »
I read something about this a while back; no one could/can figure out what its for exactly, and other TTers have taken it off with no consequences. I think it remember that it is like 30lbs, or something significant. Search here and on AW for specifics...

If it's a 30lb hunk of metal for no apparent reason, then off it goes. I think that will help the OP's weight loss goals as well!

·
Registered
11,226 Posts

Quote, originally posted by skydaman »

#15 is a guide center? Here's the list:

15 appears to be where the rebar is attached to the frame. As for the weight, i dont see what 30lbs there could be off setting. The battery and driver are both on the drivers side... duh. If it was to be anywhere, i would assume the passenger side unless im missing something. Maybe the rear diff?

·
Registered
12,753 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Neb »
usually things are there for a reason. A counterweight would not be something I'd remove to quickly IMO.

Haha I removed over 300lbs of so called "useful" stuff in my GTI
I didn't seem to miss it, only made me go faster without it.

15 appears to be where the rebar is attached to the frame. As for the weight, i dont see what 30lbs there could be off setting. The battery and driver are both on the drivers side... duh. If it was to be anywhere, i would assume the passenger side unless im missing something. Maybe the rear diff?

Yeah its weird, and the rear diff is centered so whats to offset? I know I'm going to investigate next time I'm uder there. Obviously the OP removed it per the pics but will he reinstall it? Maybe he can give some insight/detailed pics.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

yeap took it off, it looked like a fairly light part at first but let me tell you, that sucker weights a ton. When I took it off I was like WTF - similar to the diff on the chair type of moment "ooops, more weight then I expected [diff drops onto the floor]"

also, regarding it being a counter weight. The car will get corner balanced so its not an issue. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Definitly not going back into the car.

Maybe the rear diff?

Yeap rear diff is a bit over to the passenger side. Passenger side axle is shorter then driver side one. Not by a lot but its noticable.

Modified by chaugner at 3:32 PM 1-9-2008

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

ok, that clears THAT up. So i take it that the part isnt on the fwd cars?

I can check my ETKA once I am back at home to see if its there.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Re: (chaugner)

Quote, originally posted by chaugner »
yeap took it off, it looked like a fairly light part at first but let me tell you, that sucker weights a ton. When I took it off I was like WTF - similar to the diff on the chair type of moment "ooops, more weight then I expected [diff drops onto the floor]"

also, regarding it being a counter weight. The car will get corner balanced so its not an issue. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Definitly not going back into the car.
Yeap rear diff is a bit over to the passenger side. Passenger side axle is shorter then driver side one. Not by a lot but its noticable.

Thanks, all good to know. Guess I'll take mine off next time I'm under there! Do you think it weighed 30lbs? Better yet think you could throw it on a scale?
Ohh and stop dropping stuff

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

I have been thinking of picking up a scale for a while now. Maybe now is the time
Would also be nice to know the weight diff for rotors, calipers, suspension components, sway bars, etc from stock.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Here is my take on the battery. Putting a LW battery in is a must. Now where to put it is the question. Adding it to the rear will help on weight balance a tiny bit but not enough to really matter on our FWD platform car. Adding all the cable will also add weight, more then you'd expect so all you are doing is mainting the same weight as a regular battery in the front but with a slightly better weight distribution. Now the place I will put mine is behind the passenger side seat. Keeping it closter to the center will help the car on turns (forgot the term lol) and also remove a bit from the front therefore helping again a tiny bit on overall weight distribution and drop overall weight from a standard battery in the engine bay.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Re: (chaugner)

I would just keep it where it is and just drop in a 15lb (afraid that the lighter ones wont start in winter).
Oh, and i looked up the rear on Vagcat. They dont split the fwd and awd cars, so im guessing the weight is on the FWD cars also
They call it this for fwd "compensation plate / F 8N-X-011 001>>*
right / fr.wheel drv "
here is the vagcat link http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/...84206/

Modified by cincyTT at 4:22 PM 1-9-2008

21 - 40 of 298 Posts