VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a cam for my digi2 8v golf. My CIS cabby had a 268 in it, which was pretty sweet. I'm looking at either a 276 or a 288 for my golf. Anyone have their experience with either?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
276 is still sorta-kinda mild. A 288 is pretty serious, and wouldnt do any good on a street car, and for a 288 youll need like a whole head built for it, because if you just slap a 288 in a stock head it WILL go wrong. You can probably get away without HD valve springs with a 276 as long as its not running 5K+ all the time. But if you have the money you should get springs & lifters anyways for the 276.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I might be wrong but a 270 cam is the biggest you can run without having the spring bores relieved. I had a 270 cam in my 8v and it was a hair away from needing the spring/ follower bore relieved.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
i havnt heard that, its just how safe you want to be and if you care about your engine blowing up or not. From what ive researched (i just bought a cam, so thats a lot) the 268 and 270 are like the same thing (tt vs autotech) and even on autotech's website they say you can run the 270 without HD springs & retainers, but would recommend it with any cam. It pretty much depends on you, and your budget is.
For me, im just throwing in my 270 w\o springs and I dont really care if it blows or not, its just a commuter car, and the price of getting a new built head is probably more than what I can find a used block\stock head for. I would just stick with your 268, its a good cam for the street power. A 276 will make good power 4k+ and really how often are you up there?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There seems to be some confusion or misunderstanding about camshaft data here. Could be wrong but a lot of talk is thrown around about "duration" and if or if not it requires relieving the follower bores. Duration has nothing to do with that kind of work, yes it is often the case that as duration goes up (longer) valve lift increases but not always. There are many camshafts that the duration is increased but the lift is either low or lower than other camshafts with less duration. Anyhow, the lift is what would cause any relieving to be required and not duration.

The Autotech 270° sport camshaft (old Hör product) is said to be about the same as the TT 266° camshaft. It is a matter of sales pitch in that the numbers are advertised in a way to sell camshafts, i.e. stating data at 0.1mm as opposed to 1mm or 0.050". There is no real way to compare camshafts that are advertised using different measuring methods, but it seems TT did a compare and found the 270° to be like their 266° model. Also the advice to not over cam is very good and should be listened to. Many fall into the bigger is better trap and hate things later. As stated, just how much time does your motor spend at 4000+RPM? Really! For a few extra ponies at max RPM, and maybe none if the engine is almost stock, is it worth have trouble driving around town? I know it's only my opinion, but I like having a nice smooth well running motor vs. a peaky half race motor any day on the streets. Now racing is a different story, who cares about drivability.

268° through 272° in most camshafts is a good hot street (fast road) camshaft that can be lived with, if you don't have strict emission testing too. Check out the grinds at CatCams too. They have many grinds and materials for Volkswagen engines, they did the camshafts for the VW MotorSport Division, at least some years back.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm looking at getting a cam for my digi2 8v golf. My CIS cabby had a 268 in it, which was pretty sweet. I'm looking at either a 276 or a 288 for my golf. Anyone have their experience with either?
I had 288 cam 11:1 comp in my old setup was fun powerband was 4000-8500 easy but a dog to drive around town but i still loved that idle.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
There seems to be some confusion or misunderstanding about camshaft data here. Could be wrong but a lot of talk is thrown around about "duration" and if or if not it requires relieving the follower bores. Duration has nothing to do with that kind of work, yes it is often the case that as duration goes up (longer) valve lift increases but not always. There are many camshafts that the duration is increased but the lift is either low or lower than other camshafts with less duration. Anyhow, the lift is what would cause any relieving to be required and not duration.

The Autotech 270° sport camshaft (old Hör product) is said to be about the same as the TT 266° camshaft. It is a matter of sales pitch in that the numbers are advertised in a way to sell camshafts, i.e. stating data at 0.1mm as opposed to 1mm or 0.050". There is no real way to compare camshafts that are advertised using different measuring methods, but it seems TT did a compare and found the 270° to be like their 266° model. Also the advice to not over cam is very good and should be listened to. Many fall into the bigger is better trap and hate things later. As stated, just how much time does your motor spend at 4000+RPM? Really! For a few extra ponies at max RPM, and maybe none if the engine is almost stock, is it worth have trouble driving around town? I know it's only my opinion, but I like having a nice smooth well running motor vs. a peaky half race motor any day on the streets. Now racing is a different story, who cares about drivability.

268° through 272° in most camshafts is a good hot street (fast road) camshaft that can be lived with, if you don't have strict emission testing too. Check out the grinds at CatCams too. They have many grinds and materials for Volkswagen engines, they did the camshafts for the VW MotorSport Division, at least some years back.
i always thought "bigger is better" and wanted a 288* for my car, but ended up getting a Neuspeed 268*, and absolutely loved it.. it didnt really move the powerband up, it just took the stock powerband and made it FAT..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I'll just get another 268 then.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe I'll just get another 268 then.
Thats the cam im getting for my turbo fox should have good results.288 cam is great but only works good on high comp good port job good flowing exhaust but is ok for daily drivers i used my daily for 6 months then i went turbo but thats another story.just use the 268 people seem to love this cam 266.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean I can get HD springs and whatever else to go along with a 276 or 288 cam. I'm just looking for power.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Thats the cam im getting for my turbo fox should have good results.288 cam is great but only works good on high comp good port job good flowing exhaust but is ok for daily drivers i used my daily for 6 months then i went turbo but thats another story.just use the 268 people seem to love this cam 266.
you going with a regular 268? why not the 268/260? more expensive?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a TT 276 in my 86. I deliver pizzas with it and while the idle is lumpy its not bad around town. It will make it an interference motor though. Don't you have to groove some 8v heads to get the 288 to fit?

·
Registered
872 Posts
you going with a regular 268? why not the 268/260? more expensive?
No i going to use 266/270 from tt just got one used for 90.why cause this cam seems to work very good with turbo 8vs and should be right for my powerband 4000 full boost and should pull till redline 6800-7000 rpms.and still gives you good driveability out of boost with all my lag.my goal is 20-25 psi and should push some good numbers on the dyno :laugh:

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I know that a reverse split duration pattern cams are generally better for turbo applications, such as tt's 268/260. And at the same time, overlap is not favorable at lower rpm's.

However, you're probably right in that the 266/270 would offer more good at 2-3k rpm before you've got your boost built.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts