VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have heard about this being a problem... I just got it and put it on my self and noticed a thud from the rearend... I laid down next to the car and even at rest the exhaust and trailing problems are touching... any tips?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (badbennyb)

Is it the dynomax setup or borla? Dejavu....
TT said that the borla fits a little better than the dynomax setup.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

I have the stainless TT exhaust w/Borla muffler on both my Golf Sport and my wife's Jetta GT. My wife's exhaust was installed today and there are no clearance problems on her car or mine for that matter; my car is lowered at least 1.5"- 2".
If the system was installed as per instructed by TT, then you should have no problems. If I remember correctly, the instructions call for 3/8" to 1/2" clearance from the chassis of the car.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (DUBMON)

Dude, i can't wait for mine to come in the mail. Hopefully later this week i'll get it. I called them on Fri. they had a 10% off thanksgiving day sale. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif $402 shipped to my door. How do you like the sound of yours Dubmon? Mine is going on a 2.0 also.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I had mine installed on Saturday. I am having a clearance problem also, Ihad a loud thud under the back seat\trunk area. I got it readjusted today, the thud is less frequent but is still slightly there. I am gonna have them re-readjust it.
I love the sound of it!!! It is nice and low but not loud at all (TT with Borla and 2 resonators).

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (ja)

Do you have the VR6 or did you special order it with 2 resonators?
If i find that mine is a little too loud i will add an additional resonator.

[Modified by Sebeck1, 8:59 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (Sebeck1)

Mine is a 2.0. If you get the system directly from TechTonics Tuning they have the second resonators without it being a special order.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (ja)

is it that much louder without the second resonator? I ordered striaght from TT, aluminized w/borla ss and 2 resonators. But i was hesitating to buy the second.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (Prognosis)

hmm thats strange because it should fit no problems....double and tripple check everyting

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (Sebeck1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dude, i can't wait for mine to come in the mail. Hopefully later this week i'll get it. I called them on Fri. they had a 10% off thanksgiving day sale. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif $402 shipped to my door. How do you like the sound of yours Dubmon? Mine is going on a 2.0 also. [HR][/HR]​
I have a cam in my car, so it is a little louder than my wife's car. It is not loud at all, it has a nice tone and it burbles at idle.

I'm happy with the TT system, that's why it's on both our cars.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (DUBMON)

I have the same issues and after 1 year of screwing with it, its still not right. I have learned to live with it I guess.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: TT exhuast clerance problems (Fast16v)

The second resoantor reduces cabin groaning, but the inside of it is the same size as the rest of the exhaust piping, so the out the tail pipe sound is not effected. Very worth it in a VR6. As to the fit, I have found that the TT to cat clamp they give you is not enough as the connection tends to droop pulling the entir system of of alignment. You should stick a 2x6 or a little more under the brace (the one under the cat) which will hold the system up. Then make sure it is slid foward all the way onto the Cat, and then have 2 or 3 small tack welds put on it....the alignment will be perfect. This needs to be done on an alignment style rack by the way that allows you to lift the car with the wheels supported, not dangling like a regular lift....
Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts