VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'81 Scirocco Mid-Engine 24V VR6 AWD PHEV
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking on their website, all I could find are downpipes with MK2/MK3 manifolds. Were they having issues with the solid mounted ones cracking?
Has anyone installed one? It looks like it might not clear the shifter.
When I had a 16V in the green Scirocco, I had the passat manifold. The shifter would clear if I notched it and ran a short-shift, but still occasionally went *clang* on the manifold.
TT race downpipe
Haha.. i just noticed if you look closely in the pic, they include a notched shift arm... LMAO

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (BennyB)

No problems with the downpipes. I have 300k miles on mine. The problem is the A1 dual manifolds. You can't get them anymore. Mine has a crack just like every other one I've seen.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (GDR)

Coming up to 1000 miles on mine, absolutely seamless install!
If you want to see an installed picture, I could throw it on a lift later today.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (german performance)

I'm sorry to see the demise of the original MK1 TT downpipe but it's not surprising, it's next to impossible to find a MK1 dual outlet manifold that's not cracked so, I'm guessing that sales of that downpipe had fallen to the point where continue production was no longer profitable

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (ABA Scirocco)

I am sure part of the idea spanned from the fact the a2, a3 manifolds are more abundant and flow much more cfm.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Personally, I think the new downpipe is great addition to their product line, I just think it's unfortunate, however understandable, that the old downpipe had to fall by the wayside.

·
Registered
'81 Scirocco Mid-Engine 24V VR6 AWD PHEV
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (ABA Scirocco)

yeah, I have a mint one too, but I do have a bunch of cracked ones. I bet the euro MK1 dual outlet manifolds are even more rare now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (BennyB)

The only reason that the OG TT down pipes cracked, is that no one ran the factory exhaust support brackets. If you weld on a mounting tab & run the brackets, they should never crack. Unless you run the engine very lean, the early or Diesel 6 stud dual outlet exhaust manifold without the O2 sensor hole, should never crack either. The hole for the sensor weakens the manifold.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (531sb2)

Quote, originally posted by 531sb2 »
The only reason that the OG TT down pipes cracked, is that no one ran the factory exhaust support brackets. If you weld on a mounting tab & run the brackets, they should never crack.

That makes sense. My TT down pipe (for Euro GTi manifold and cat) came with the tab and I've always used that support bracket. Purchased new and run since 1986. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Re: TT MK1 downpipes-now using mk2 manifolds? (mk1dubbn)

Quote, originally posted by mk1dubbn »
What does LMAO convert in to english?
Lame A** mo fo?

Laughing
My
Ass
Off

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Quote, originally posted by german performance »
flow much more cfm.

any proof ?
wonder if the long tube makes 10 more hp than the short one still

Modified by EL DRIFTO at 8:43 PM 4-25-2010

1 - 17 of 17 Posts