VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 337 that i feel would benefit from a front mount. I was thinking of buying a forge TT225 fmic core and having pipes made. Would the ideal setup be to connect the drivers side endtank of the intercooler straight up to the TT intake manifold and the other side to the lower intercooler pipe? Also, are there any challenges as to mounting my throttle body the other way because of the TT intake manifold?
Thanks in advance,
Josh

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (a96bimmerm3)

You might want to contact "hottub", he hangs out on the Vortex & Audiworld. He has been working closely with Forge to bring a 180hp intercooler kit to the TT market which requires swapping your manifold. But I don't know if its supposed to fit on the VW's.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (Jay Childress)

I wouldnt suggest upgrading your stock intercooler unless you are upgrading your turbo. The pressure loss will be fairly large- well it might not be b/c the forge isn't exactly huge...your IC is already 70% efficient, forge won't be all that much more. I suggest doign the fender liner mod and an IC mist kit, unless you are upgrading the turbo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (Andy (1.8)T)

quote:[HR][/HR]I wouldnt suggest upgrading your stock intercooler unless you are upgrading your turbo. The pressure loss will be fairly large- well it might not be b/c the forge isn't exactly huge...your IC is already 70% efficient, forge won't be all that much more. I suggest doign the fender liner mod and an IC mist kit, unless you are upgrading the turbo.[HR][/HR]​
I'd have to agree. If you're running a K04 or bigger, then a FMIC becomes a more reasonable mod.
Separate from that though, the 225 manifolds are on back-order all over, so if you are going to consider the mod, I'd start calling Audi dealers now, because it could take up to 3 weeks to arrive.
Sean helped me do my swap (although I ended up doing something else). Requires a few new gaskets ($10), the manifold ($250ish?, forgot) and some vacuum lines ($40) which both Sean and I have part #s for...somewhere. the actual swap is pretty easy, and doesn't take too long. follow your Bentley manual (which says to disconnect the battery, before unplugging the sensors and whatnot).
edit: throttle body mounts the same way.

[Modified by Hapa TT, 11:24 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (Andy (1.8)T)

You won't experience pressure loss going to a forge tt225 from stock
What you would probably experience is a slight increase in boost lag as the intake system has gained volume over stock and must be pressurized before you see positive boost at the manifold.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (Prodigy)

The 225 manifold is a direct bolt on, the only thing that may not transfer over is a brace that goes under the manifold to help support it.
As far as the 225 FMIC, I dont think that it will fit, I have played around with the core on my buddies MKIV with the front end off and it looked AWFUL big.

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (hoTTub)

Sounds like a good plan. You may be able to get the intercooler from ATP if the Forge won't fit.
Also, yes there are very significant gains to be made from upgrading your intercooler even on a chipped stock turbo. Across most of the upper rev range I was losing 10-25hp due to heat soak on my second dyno run. Going to a FMIC I lost no bottom end and after 3 back to back runs I was losing NO hp due to heat soak.
Tim

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: TT225 intake manifold *please help* (Jolf)

That is on a dyno, though. How many of us drive standing still? Lets think about this for a second... any air/air intercooler requires air flow over it to work. If you are going to tell me that standing still your car made more power, that is just because there was more aluminum to soak up the heat. Eventually, you'll still be able to soak it up, if you are not moving air over it.
My point is simply that you cant rate your intercooler based on power gains (you could look at losses maybe, but not exclusively). If you add an FMIC to a car and standing still it takes longer on a dyno to soak, great. But when you are moving, the question is does it cool the air more than it would have stock? And by how much?
It has been proven that the stock IC runs 70% efficient. My dual-IC on a stock K03 managed to be 90%+ efficient, and never soaked even when pre-IC temps right at the end cap were over 200º F. I'm not trying to disagree with you, Jolf, I am just saying that I feel there is more to the gains than just power.
Let me note, though, I totally agree about the stock turbo being fine with an IC upgrade. One could argue the core of the FMIC or dual-IC is a bit big and puts extra stress on the little K03 (or even a K04) and that is true. Which is why for most people I feel the Forge SMIC is a good purchase. Regardless, a good FMIC or dual-IC format, such as this thread's TT225 manifold w/custom FMIC, is a great approach too... because of cooling improvements of course!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts