VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace my TTRS OEM brakes in the front and rear, and am wondering if you guys have any recommendations on pads that are at least as good in feel/wear as the OEM pads?

·
Registered
783 Posts
You will get as many opinions as there are posters. My pad in recent years has been EBC red. Better initial bite than OEM, no fade, no dust, no noise. If you track, EBC yellow might be a better choice but they tend to squeal at low speed. My only negative opinion is Hawk HPS which had scary bad initial bite when cold. They were OK after a few stops.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had very good results using Carbotech pads. Their street pad compount 1521 is comparable to OEM but without the brake dust and their various XP track pads have been very consistent and predictable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Second the recommendation for the Carbotech 1521 compound, good choice for the street.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,818 Posts
You will get as many opinions as there are posters. My pad in recent years has been EBC red. Better initial bite than OEM, no fade, no dust, no noise. If you track, EBC yellow might be a better choice but they tend to squeal at low speed. My only negative opinion is Hawk HPS which had scary bad initial bite when cold. They were OK after a few stops.
EBC red is great.

I hated Hawk HPS for the same reason, especially in the winter. But I hear the HPS 5.0 formulation fixes that.

I know the Golf R folks love the Centric PosiQuiet ceramic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey all. I've decided to take the majority recommendation and get some EBC Red pads. Is there a specific size that I need to get to support the OEM TTRS calipers?
I have the ebc reds they are good but smh at the people saying they are not dusty. they are worst pads i have ever had for producing dust.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Maybe the formulation is different for the TTRS pads? For my TT, the EBC pads had virtually no dust compared to the OEM. The difference was dramatic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts