VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
ICETER what is your rear diff 3 letter code ?
0BY

To understand correctly.
Do we need a gen.2 Haldex unit for parts to make it work with the Gen.4 Haldex?

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
No,you need:
-Golf IV R32 Wavetrac
-OEM Haldex unit for your car (you need the ring gear)

There are two ways to do this:
-As I did: get a used Haldex for your car, modify it and then replace the complete unit.
-Or you directly modify the differential installed on your car.
I would recommend the first method, because if something goes wrong, you still have a car in original state and you also can use it during the whole process.

·
Registered
323 Posts
0BY

No,you need:
-Golf IV R32 Wavetrac
-OEM Haldex unit for your car (you need the ring gear and the “tube” of it)

There are two ways to do this:
-As I did: get a used Haldex for your car, modify it and then replace the complete unit.
-Or you directly modify the differential installed on your car.
I would recommend the first method, because if something goes wrong, you still have a car in original state and you also can use it during the whole process.
Thanks... I'll buy the Gen.5 unit then...
Hope I do not loose anymore money

·
Registered
17 Posts
ICETER, there are 3 types of rear diff for TT-RS. This is what ETKA shows

0BY525010 LEK
0BY525010A MBE,LEK
0BY525010B PYJ

First two are interchanble for sure, the last one I don't know.

Can you please check again and look for your 3 letter diff code ? This will help others if they want to modify their cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks... I'll buy the Gen.5 unit then...
Hope I do not loose anymore money

OK! Have you found someone who would (if possible) modify it for you?

ICETER, there are 3 types of rear diff for TT-RS. This is what ETKA shows

0BY525010 LEK
0BY525010A MBE,LEK
0BY525010B PYJ

First two are interchanble for sure, the last one I don't know.

Can you please check again and look for your 3 letter diff code ? This will help others if they want to modify their cars.

I bought a 0BY525010A LEK MBE.

·
Registered
323 Posts
OK! Have you found someone who would (if possible) modify it for you?
Yes. A friend of mine has a machine shop with cnc lathe and milling machin...

Is the tube also welded to the diff?
How do you compensate for the "slack/backlash" between the ring gear and the drive gear? Is it 100% measured and machined to fit?

Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Yes. A friend of mine has a machine shop with cnc lathe and milling machin...

Is the tube also welded to the diff?
How do you compensate for the "slack/backlash" between the ring gear and the drive gear? Is it 100% measured and machined to fit?

Thanks for the support.

That sounds good :thumbup:
Yes, the chamfer on the tube ensures you can weld it properly.

The position of the diff is set with shims under the bearing shells.

First, determine the total length (Set a preload of 0,05mm for each bearing plus 0,1mm for the case sealing). To do that, you have to install the ready welded diff without the ring gear!
Than weld the ring gear and adjust the backlash with the shims considering your determined total length.

Therefore its important to keep the diff as exactly as possible. If anything, try to be in the plus range.
So you only have to grind down the shims. If it's smaller, you also need to make wider shims...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do whatever you want with the drawings; but if they helped you, the only thing I ask for is to share your information, problems, whatever here in this thread. I think it’s good keeping the things together…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04qbo7762azr8sb/AABf1DYYyJWcAem-pE_G2HFXa?dl=0

Cheers:beer:
This is the best thing I've read about the TTRS for ages! Well done on your engineering & persistence.

I track my car at every opportunity & having this differential in the back of a car would make the difference between keeping it forever or moving it on for something else. I can't believe I missed out on the drawings after being 3 weeks late reading this thread. Any chance of getting a copy?

Cheers, Leon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is the best thing I've read about the TTRS for ages! Well done on your engineering & persistence.

I track my car at every opportunity & having this differential in the back of a car would make the difference between keeping it forever or moving it on for something else. I can't believe I missed out on the drawings after being 3 weeks late reading this thread. Any chance of getting a copy?

Cheers, Leon.

Check your inbox...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have the Golf 7R with Haldex Gen5 unit. That why! I'll try and do the same...

Hey,

any news for gen 5?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No sorry. Was crazy busy with moving houses and reworking... Will start on this soon...

Hey, you should reconsider your priorities... :p
Thanks for the info, keep us up to date!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome work modifying and machining the parts to fit the TT-RS! Just a question, do you experience traction loss in the rear on your TTRS? When haldex locks up the power distribution should be 50:50 back and rear, and for me at least when driving on track I typically get the inner front wheel to spin, not the rears.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Awesome work modifying and machining the parts to fit the TT-RS! Just a question, do you experience traction loss in the rear on your TTRS? When haldex locks up the power distribution should be 50:50 back and rear, and for me at least when driving on track I typically get the inner front wheel to spin, not the rears.

Hey, thanks.

I would say the TTRS generally has no big traction problem.
But in certain situations, I also noticed some slip, but I can´t say if it´s more often on the front axle...I think this depends on many things.
But the LSD helps in both cases anyway;
The inner wheel can usually transmit the least torque, and with an open differential this also is the maximum that the whole axle is able to transmit.
With a rear LSD, the most torque then goes to the outside rear wheel.
As a result, the rear wheels can transmit more torque than the fronts, which reduces their drive load. So a rear LSD also supports the front wheels.
The rear wheels are pushing the front wheels and prevent them from slipping.
And I think that´s the biggest benefit of a rear LSD; it allows more rear torque distribution and thus less on-power understeer.
So it was rather the handling than the overall traction why i wanted a rear LSD.
I hope this makes sense...

21 - 40 of 71 Posts