VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now you can also get a quote directly here:
https://www.powerzone.at/hinterachs-sperrdifferential/

Located in Austria, but they will ship worldwide
Their prices includes 20% Austrian VAT...so, €2875 for all orders outside the EU.;)
So, would this also fit RS3 limo facelift? And this diff is then installed into the Haldex coupling, mounted on rear axle? But you still need to change the controller, to have Haldex clutch engage more aggressively? I am still trying to get my head around how exactly does this work. Wavetrac limits left and right side wheels on rear axle, correct? Videos look phenomenal, since front is then still an open differential, how much power would go to rear wheels in this case? As far as I understand, still only up to 50% on dry tarmac? How does the donut happen then? Wavetrac also produces front LSD: http://www.wavetrac.eu/Wavetrac-ATB-LSD-for-Audi-DQ500-TTRS-RS3-DSG-Quattro-FRONT.html What would happen if you installed it on both axles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Please stop with this nonsense.
I am the one that sent them (MFactory) a Gen. 4 diff.
This is a dead end. I have lost more then 1500 Euro on that case.
If you want a rear LSD diff now? Just use this thread and the fb group...

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
I don't speak or read German, but from what I can tell, they want me to pay a deposit, remove the differential, ship to Austria, wait until machined, then when I complete the payment, they ship it back and I can install it.

The reason the Mfactory one fell apart was because everyone who was interested went to the wavetrac group buy. It wasn't profitable for them to make only one or two. I'm sorry you lost money, but I don't think it's nonsense to want more than one company to produce something like this. My issue is I want to be able to buy the part and install it, simple as that. The original wavetrac purchase was even more appealing because they were going to ship it installed in a housing and then return a core charge, making install even easier. Having the car sit for weeks or months while waiting for the differential to return isn't really going to work for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't speak or read German, but from what I can tell, they want me to pay a deposit, remove the differential, ship to Austria, wait until machined, then when I complete the payment, they ship it back and I can install it.

The reason the Mfactory one fell apart was because everyone who was interested went to the wavetrac group buy. It wasn't profitable for them to make only one or two. I'm sorry you lost money, but I don't think it's nonsense to want more than one company to produce something like this. My issue is I want to be able to buy the part and install it, simple as that. The original wavetrac purchase was even more appealing because they were going to ship it installed in a housing and then return a core charge, making install even easier. Having the car sit for weeks or months while waiting for the differential to return isn't really going to work for me.
Yes and no to this!
This is never going to be a big business for anyone. Not many people are going to this even if MFactory makes a plug and play diff.

We now have quite a few diffs made up so I think this speaks for it self. If you don't like the wavetrac option we can use another 3 different brands if you want.

You do not need to send your diff. We provide a used unit that will modified to your spec and sent to for plug&Play installation.

This way you want have any stop on your car.
You can then sell your existing diff later on to recover some money...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)

The reason the Mfactory one fell apart was because everyone who was interested went to the wavetrac group buy.
It´s always good to have options, so when Mfactory jumps in again and get it done this time, great!
But I think some things are important to mention here;

As far as I´ve seen, the Mfactory option is for Golf6 R/TT Gen4 models only. Not for the older RS with Gen4 nor any Gen5 car.

And as A3SBQ already mentioned, the process when ordering one from Powerzone is the same as it was with the original Wavetrac project. In any way you will get a finished rear unit, ready for install. Plug & play. If you don’t want any downtime of your car, you can pay a refundable deposit of 600€ and they will provide a rear unit.

I think the reason both projects failed is beside quantities due to the many versions of the Haldex units and a welded ring gear. And they had different approaches to solve this problem.

When I remember correctly, Mfactory will provide also ring and pinion with a “one fits all” design. And their price is unbeatable. But it´s fair to say that this is far from being a plug & play solution. It´s on the customer to get everything installed and shimmed.
Wavetrac wanted to convert OEM units and provide them plug & play.
This, and the fact that the Wavetrac works differently has many people persuaded to the Wavetrac project.

Also, I think Wavetrac´s concerns about producing new ring and pinion are not entirely unfounded. Not, that a big player like Mfactory wouldn’t be able to produce them in reasonable quality. But the many revisions of this units (different layouts, even within the same model range), makes it quite challenging to create universal parts...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
So, would this also fit RS3 limo facelift? And this diff is then installed into the Haldex coupling, mounted on rear axle? But you still need to change the controller, to have Haldex clutch engage more aggressively? I am still trying to get my head around how exactly does this work. Wavetrac limits left and right side wheels on rear axle, correct? Videos look phenomenal, since front is then still an open differential, how much power would go to rear wheels in this case? As far as I understand, still only up to 50% on dry tarmac? How does the donut happen then? Wavetrac also produces front LSD: http://www.wavetrac.eu/Wavetrac-ATB-LSD-for-Audi-DQ500-TTRS-RS3-DSG-Quattro-FRONT.html What would happen if you installed it on both axles?

Thanks!
Yes, doable for all RS3.
You don’t necessarily need another controller, especially with a 8V RS3.
(The previous RS generations benefit much more from another controller)

To keep it simple, think of the Haldex as a center diff. A fully engaged Haldex will act similar as a locked center diff. It just connects front and rear together. That’s a static 50/50 split. Important is that this doesn’t say anything about the torque distribution.
There are a million things which play a role here. One of the most important is the dynamic roll circumference res. the traveled distance of the wheels to each other. When driving a turn, the rears will travel a shorter distance than the fronts. By closing the Haldex clutch they’re now forced to turn at the same speed which results in overdriven rears and a rear bias distribution. As they now get the most of the torque.
The problem is that the unloaded inner rear wheel doesn´t get this power to the ground, thus limiting the capacity of the entire rear axle. The rear Wavetrac addresses this problem. Further it´s also able to create a yaw moment by multiplying the torque from the inner wheel and shift it to the outer wheel. It’s the same principle all current torque vectoring systems are based on. If you want traction for days, get a front and rear LSD. But getting the car in rotation should be easier with the open front diff, because the traction on the front is then (like the rear before) limited by the the inner front wheel.
I hope this make sense…:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
So I can just buy one for the 8P A3, without sending anything in? The website is confusing to me on this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I can just buy one for the 8P A3, without sending anything in? The website is confusing to me on this issue. Thanks!
Yes. You need to provide them with your diff part no. They will then sorce out a used diff for you that fits Plug&play for your car

·
Registered
146 Posts
NPace,

I have been emailing PowerZone and they have been very helpful. Convert the site to English in Chrome and you can read it fine. I sent them the part number for my diff on my A3 and they will look into it after the current batch of diffs are finished. It is the same diff as the TTS and other cars they have people asking about. I see that they can make a product that works and others are using it. I want to convert my A3 into a track only car as this point.

I have a diff on order for my RS3 and I bought a front Wavetrac diff so I will have front and rear Wavetrac LSDs.

MFactory may not get enough people interested as I think people have moved on from their MK6 Rs, MK2 A3s, MK2 TTs from when they started the initial thread three years ago.

I want you to get a rear LSD diff so it can go along with your manual conversion. I want to see what it does to your car in terms of handling.

·
Registered
323 Posts
NPace,

I have been emailing PowerZone and they have been very helpful. Convert the site to English in Chrome and you can read it fine. I sent them the part number for my diff on my A3 and they will look into it after the current batch of diffs are finished. It is the same diff as the TTS and other cars they have people asking about. I see that they can make a product that works and others are using it. I want to convert my A3 into a track only car as this point.

I have a diff on order for my RS3 and I bought a front Wavetrac diff so I will have front and rear Wavetrac LSDs.

MFactory may not get enough people interested as I think people have moved on from their MK6 Rs, MK2 A3s, MK2 TTs from when they started the initial thread three years ago.

I want you to get a rear LSD diff so it can go along with your manual conversion. I want to see what it does to your car in terms of handling.
Perfect . Hope it works out for you quick...
Welcome to the the rear LSD club

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hey everybody!
Powerzone made a pretty cool video where we can see the rear LSD in action on the good ol´ 8J TTRS.
Damn how well those 8J ages...:unsure:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts