VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here consider the Audi TTS? To me its the logical, superior progression of the GTI in a MUCH better body/platform. I'm a hardcore VW guy, I've had 2 GTI's and will keep my current MK VI for use as a winter car, but man, the TTS is awesome. Naysayers have never tried. Will re-flash the ECU for 315 + HP- what more can be said? I've just ordered a 2011 in Scuba Blue/19" wheels and can't wait for a car(Golf-R) that may never come across the pond. Besides the TTS is better handling, faster and well, much better looking.
I'm including this link from Autocar- Steve Sutcliffe and the Golf-R. Makes for interesting viewing! The Golf R did do a 5.7 w/ DSG, the TTS is 4.6-4.9, even faster re-flashed. Enjoy. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you don't include factors like 4 seats, 4 doors, and money, then yes a TT-S is fantastic. But your example is kinda like saying a natural progression should be from a Quattroporte to a 599 GTO because it's so much faster.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
The TT-S is the cousin of the Golf R. Same engine. Same drivetrain. Over in Europe the R even has the option of adaptive suspension. The main difference is the price(the TTS starts at $45K+ I reckon the Golf will be about $10K less) , and the Audi uses aluminum extensively in its body, so the TT is lighter. The same tuning options apply to both.

I am not going to hate on the TTS as it is a fantastic machine, but the Golf R is nearly there and will cost you a good chunk less. As for when it gets here, each previous Golf R has been 4 years apart...I would expect the MKVI Golf R to show up as a 2012 model.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The TTS is hot fire, however, the room on the R (hoping for the 4door) and the cost difference are gonna be the deciding factors for me.
Yeah if you could get the TTS for cheaper like 40K I might be swayed, but I like the space in the R32 and I use it often.

My big dilemma is what do I get instead if VW doesn't bring the Golf-R? I am not in a rush to replace the R32 yet, but I figure it is only a year or two off. The problem is the R32 has somewhat spoiled me. I want the space, power, AWD and DSG. At this time I don't know of another option unless I up my price range into the TTS range.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gizmopop

The TT-S is the cousin of the Golf R. Same engine. Same drivetrain. Over in Europe the R even has the option of adaptive suspension. The main difference is the price(the TTS starts at $45K+ I reckon the Golf will be about $10K less) , and the Audi uses aluminum extensively in its body, so the TT is lighter. The same tuning options apply to both.
I love the utility of the GTI, the interior is gobsmackingly good for a $30,000 car. I was looking for a sportier, car with a hatchback and I found the TTS bloody gorgeous, it's all in all the little details from the LED lights to the spoiler to the superb interior and build quality. I'd have to say the interior/driving position is superior to the GTI, you FEEL like you're in a sports car-very nice. The R's taller body has to ultimately have a negative effect on it's handling. Looking at the Golf R, I have to say the MK VI looks slightly sportier and has a hugely better interior.
There IS the TT available as an alternative as well with Audi bringing significant upgrades in the latter half of 2011 - 211 horsepower (up from 200) and 258 pound-feet of torque beginning at a thoroughly usable 1,600 rpm.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
There IS the TT available as an alternative as well with Audi bringing significant upgrades in the latter half of 2011 - 211 horsepower (up from 200) and 258 pound-feet of torque beginning at a thoroughly usable 1,600 rpm.
I believe they are just updating the tuning on the base TT to that which the A4 and A5 2.0T currently have.

The base TT is still a pretty penny more ($37K+) than what the Golf R should come in at. :thumbup:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Having driven the TTS I'll say its a great car with a very good engine that's ruined by a terrible transmission. The entire test drive was spent dealing with the DSG constantly hunting gears during every single hill or incline. The torque curve of that engine just isn't well suited to that transmission and its gearing. I feel bad for anyone who makes the mistake of buying a TTS or a Golf R with the DSG.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Really now, you come here proclaiming how "better" of a car you think the TTS is to a R and then you throw a tantrum when someone posts an opinion to the contrary. Go troll somewhere else.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Take a deep breath Litespeed. Can't take all opinions on this forum personally. I'm sure you've offended an MKV R32 owner here by calling it a huge failure as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.