VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, currently I drive a 2020 Toyota Tundra I bought new for a song when covid prices were in a slump. With gas prices how they are nowadays, it's no longer feasible to DD a 12 mpg truck and I think I could probably make some money off it. New job has me on a 80 km round trip commute to/from work but I don't want to drive something boring.

Long story long, I've prettymuch narrowed it down to a 2019 Golf R, or wait and see how the new GR Corolla turns out. There's a nice example about 5 hrs away from me I've got my eye on. I've seen nothing but praise for the r, and seems specifically the 2019 MY might be one of the upper choices. Would be my first VW, but I have owned a 2012 evo, 2007 MS3, 2003 350Z so no stranger to sports cars.

Anything super glaring to look out for? I'm guessing a 2019 with 8000km was mostly a garage queen. Thanks in advance!

Pic of my tundra for car tax
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful truck. A 2019 with only 8000km, roughly 5000miles, definitely sounds like a garage queen lol. Is there an equivalent of CarFax in Canada?
Thanks, was hard to find this color but voodoo blue is the best blue I've seen in person. Seems lapiz is popular in its own right

Yep we have Carfax here, one owner, no accidents, dealer serviced (for one oil change).

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
774 Posts
If it's genuinely stock, probably not a terrible purchase. Have you actually done the math on how much money you'd save in gas per year? Just curious as the Tundra probably depreciates less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's genuinely stock, probably not a terrible purchase. Have you actually done the math on how much money you'd save in gas per year? Just curious as the Tundra probably depreciates less.
As it stands, I'm having to fill up once a week at ~$200 a tank. That's a ballpark of $12k per year. Would be $5k savings at the least yearly

As well, how many different trims came for the R's? Are they mostly all the same options? Can't find how to tell the difference if it's not listed

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quick note - 2018-2019 Golf R's are pretty much the same, but the 2019s got Continental Injectors and the failure rate on them is going up quickly enough to be a concern. Might make sense to save a little bit and get the 2018.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick note - 2018-2019 Golf R's are pretty much the same, but the 2019s got Continental Injectors and the failure rate on them is going up quickly enough to be a concern. Might make sense to save a little bit and get the 2018.
Do the 2018's and 2019's have the same infotainment? I thought I had read that was a difference

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the opposite. I just bought a 2019 tundra trd pro bc of new baby. I was planning on selling my VW but I cant bring myself to
Nice, the tundra is solid but doesn't make sense for me now to just have it as a DD. What do you think in terms of the tech compared to the two? The sound systems are all terrible in the tundras

·
Registered
731 Posts
Do the 2018's and 2019's have the same infotainment? I thought I had read that was a difference
The 18 and 19 should have the exact same infotainment system. The big change was between the 17 and 18 model year when they went to the bigger screen as well as the digital cockpit, different seats, LED headlights and taillights.
As well, how many different trims came for the R's? Are they mostly all the same options? Can't find how to tell the difference if it's not listed
We only had the one trim level in Canada and no extra options other than the spectrum colours for the 18 model year and the choice of manual or DSG.

Heated leather seats
Adaptive cruise control
Dynamic chassis control
19" wheels
Fender sound system
Various safety features

All came standard on all models.

Reactions: theminiwheats

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 18 and 19 should have the exact same infotainment system. The big change was between the 17 and 18 model year when they went to the bigger screen as well as the digital cockpit, different seats, LED headlights and taillights.

We only had the one trim level in Canada and no extra options other than the spectrum colours for the 18 model year.
Perfect, so all R's have premium audio etc? Guess that means lapiz or limestone/igm is the only hard choice then

·
Registered
731 Posts
Perfect, so all R's have premium audio etc? Guess that means lapiz or limestone/igm is the only hard choice then
Yup, the only differences with the Mk7.5 R's in Canada was choice of transmission, colour and OEM rims. The Fender system is a pretty good system for a stock stereo - definitely have no complaints about it.

Having said that, when buying used, there is always the chance that the previous owner added or removed items.

That is one big change for sure, going from a full size pick up to a compact hatch lol

MPG on the R is good, if you drive in a normal fashion, you can get average 500-550km combined on a 55L tank - just keep in mind, you do need to pump 91 with the R, so thats an extra quarter per litre.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, the only differences with the Mk7.5 R's in Canada was choice of transmission, colour and OEM rims. The Fender system is a pretty good system for a stock stereo - definitely have no complaints about it.

Having said that, when buying used, there is always the chance that the previous owner added or removed items.

That is one big change for sure, going from a full size pick up to a compact hatch lol

MPG on the R is good, if you drive in a normal fashion, you can get average 500-550km combined on a 55L tank - just keep in mind, you do need to pump 91 with the R, so thats an extra quarter per litre.
All good info to know, I appreciate it!

My favorite vehicle I've owned was my MS3, I always wished I had kept it so I don't think ill mind the trade if it shakes out that way

·
Registered
731 Posts
Definitely keep us posted if you get one.

The R is a fun little car, no question about that - I do miss mine even though mine was a complete lemon (not that the R is unreliable, I just ran into a spout of bad luck).

Not that I want to open a can of worms or dissuade you, but there are a few things to look into though, potential misfire and CEL and squeaky suspension being the main ones. Other than that, the only real complaint I have about the R is the stock exhaust, way too quiet - the fake engine noise pumped into the cabin through the Soundaktor is good, but the outside noise has much to be desired. My suggestion would be is to pick up a resonator delete (Audi used to sell one) and program the active exhaust flaps open and you're good to go - all for a couple of hundred bucks.

Also, during pothole season, get a set of 18" rims (17" won't give you much clearance with the brake callipers) with some decent winter tires.

·
Registered
2017 GLI
319 Posts
Nice, the tundra is solid but doesn't make sense for me now to just have it as a DD. What do you think in terms of the tech compared to the two? The sound systems are all terrible in the tundras
The Fender system in my 17 VW is much better, especially for loud music. No carplay in the Tundra which blows. Otherwise thr system is fine for me because i listen to mostly podcasts these days.

On the other hand, the tundra has auto sensing brights, lane depature warning, and adaptive cruise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely keep us posted if you get one.

The R is a fun little car, no question about that - I do miss mine even though mine was a complete lemon (not that the R is unreliable, I just ran into a spout of bad luck).

Not that I want to open a can of worms or dissuade you, but there are a few things to look into though, potential misfire and CEL and squeaky suspension being the main ones. Other than that, the only real complaint I have about the R is the stock exhaust, way too quiet - the fake engine noise pumped into the cabin through the Soundaktor is good, but the outside noise has much to be desired. My suggestion would be is to pick up a resonator delete (Audi used to sell one) and program the active exhaust flaps open and you're good to go - all for a couple of hundred bucks.

Also, during pothole season, get a set of 18" rims (17" won't give you much clearance with the brake callipers) with some decent winter tires.
Would definitely run two sets of wheels for sure! The dsg doesn't have any problems with -50??
The Fender system in my 17 VW is much better, especially for loud music. No carplay in the Tundra which blows. Otherwise thr system is fine for me because i listen to mostly podcasts these days.

On the other hand, the tundra has auto sensing brights, lane depature warning, and adaptive cruise.
Your tundra definitely has carplay, its just not wireless. Far left USB port is for the carplay!

Edit: nevermind I thought you said a 2020 for some reason. My mistake

·
Registered
2019 VW GSW SE 1.4
13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 VW GSW SE 1.4
13 Posts
I would think the R would have all three items (lights, lane departure, adaptive cruise) you mentioned considering many of the less expensive Golfs have these features. My 2019 GWS SE has all these. Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There was a choice between getting a model with the driver assistance package, or not. I opted not to get that because from what I’ve read it is super expensive to get things like wheel alignments done if you have the assistance package. Something to do with having to calibrate the radar sensor or whatever. No thanks!

That was pretty much the only choice to make, other than the colour, and manual or DSG.

On the highway, if you behave, you can get under 7.5L/100km with the DSG. So it’s not terrible as a highway commuting car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There was a choice between getting a model with the driver assistance package, or not. I opted not to get that because from what I’ve read it is super expensive to get things like wheel alignments done if you have the assistance package. Something to do with having to calibrate the radar sensor or whatever. No thanks!

That was pretty much the only choice to make, other than the colour, and manual or DSG.

On the highway, if you behave, you can get under 7.5L/100km with the DSG. So it’s not terrible as a highway commuting car.
I'm getting about 21L/100km right now so anything is better haha

1 - 20 of 45 Posts