VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought an incredibly clean 84 GTI and I will be picking it up this week. Part of the reason it’s in this shape is also because it’s been sitting parked since 06 before it was recently bought in an estate sale.

The shop that I am buying it from has been doing a good job of “refreshing it” to get it ready for sale over the last few weeks.

It runs fine other then it’s a little bit rough on start up which he believes is the thermo-time switch and that seems sort of logical so I’m going to replace that.

So far they have done the following:

- Ran 2 full tanks of gas through it and put a few hundred miles on it. They have also been running fuel injector cleaner through it

-Checked the plugs and wires for corrosion and both looked fine in their opinion.

-The oil has been changed.

-The Front brakes have been done.

-The fan switch has been replaced (and fan works).

-The muffler is being replaced.

I also plan on inspecting or replacing the following:

-I plan to replace the timing belt just as a precaution even if it does look good at this point. Seven years is a long time to sit.

-I will do a coolant flush.

-I will look at all the hoses.

- It does act as if it has some fuel starvation issues so I will be replacing the gas tank.

Besides that, what else do you recommend would be useful maintenance and tune up work for an 8V CIS car that has been sitting?

I'm new to MK1s in general and CIS so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Everything you describe is reasonable, including testing the Lambda thermoswitch (as opposed to the CSV thermoswitch). I say "test" because the main advice I can offer is to verify component failure (as per Bentley manual) before replacing anything. Cold sputtering is common on older CIS cars, and is a symptom that is best approached methodically.

My point is that if you are interested in learning Lambda CIS, successfully troubleshooting it when it malfunctions is a rewarding experience. The flipside is that if you just start tearing into it, CIS (and these cars in general) can be a frustrating money pit.

Unfortunately, most of the advice you will get is of the guessing variety...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Do you have a bentley manual???? As above CIS is relatively simple if you follow the steps in the book. If you go messing with things out of order or randomly you can end up with a frustrating mess...

Please make sure you have the book and go through all the CIS section before you start randomly replacing parts.

That being said it sounds like you are on the right path. The most likely things for a car that sat that long are going to be fuel tank issues, main fuel pump issues, and stickly CIS fuel distributor... All of those are pretty well documented on here.

If it is running well enough to drive right now I would suggest running it as is for a while before you do any changes or replacements just to see if it sorts itself out.

Remember CIS cars, tend to run a little rough when cold even on a good day. We are so used to EFI cars that fire up on the first crank and warm up quickly that we forget that some cars need a little warmup.

You may have a thermotime issue or a CIS open/closed loop temp switch issue but I think you need to let it burn in and work loose a bit before you tackle things... "a little bit rough" may be completely normal for your car. :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys.

I did end up getting a Bentley Manual and I went through the Thermo-Time Switch testing procedure and it looked as if it was faulty. No pulsing or gradually decreasing light with the test lamp or volt meter readings, but it did have a complete circuit when I tested for that.

Anyway, I just got it in tonight and my first impression was that wanted to start quicker (2nd start almost kept it from dying out), but still stumbled and required 4-5 attempts for it to smooth out and stay running. Like usual after about 10 min of sitting at idle to warm up it smoothed out and was fine.

Getting into that more is probably a whole different thread though.

So per my original post I'm curious to see if anyone else has some additional feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts