VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pal and i want to do tune ups on our 96 VR6s (Jetta and GTI...maybe Getta and JTI soon) in the near future. So far, the list includes:
Fuel filter
Replace Plugs (they come pregapped, right?)
Plug Wires (are OEM the best ones to use, as with plugs?)
Serpentine Belts possibly, if they look like they need it
Do i need a special tool to replace the plugs since they are way down in the manifold?
Any other suggestions for preventative maintainence? my car has 84xxx mis and his has 66xxx...ive had mine since the beginning of summer and i havent done anything besides change the air filter...i dont know how his car stands on that stuff...mine had new brakes in august, just put on snows, so tires are ok. thanks

[Modified by VR6 Mk3, 9:58 PM 11-21-2001]

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Re: tune up time... (VR6 Mk3)

quote:[HR][/HR]So far, the list includes:
Fuel filter
Replace Plugs (they come pregapped, right?)
Plug Wires (are OEM the best ones to use, as with plugs?)
Serpentine Belts possibly, if they look like they need it[HR][/HR]​
All good ideas. Yes, the plugs come pre-gapped. It's also a good idea to have a shop flush the coolant system to avoid corrosion. Add some Redline Watter Wetter in the coolant to lower operating temps. Velocity sells the factory recommended Autobahn coolant. Changing your tranny fluid is a smart move, too, and Redline synthetic is the best. You'll notice much slicker shifts, and it protects better.
While the plugs are out, it's a good idea to change the spark plug wires (especially if they've never been changed in 80K miles). I'm very happy with my 8mm Kingsbourne from Velocity, which are 1mm larger in diameter than stock.
Follow up with some Redline Fuel System Cleaner and clean your air filter (if you have a reusable one), and you'll be good to go.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: tune up time... (Doug Brekke)

thanks...all good info, thanks for the help...except now my list gets longer (sigh)...can all of those various juices you mentioned be purchased at my local pepboys or whatever?

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

It would be a good idea to get the plug wire remover tool also. There hard to get a snug fit without one and I recently did mine, and had a bad one cause the screwdriver I was pushin it down with made a little hole in the wire causing it to arch.

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Re: tune up time... (Lukedub)

Spark plug wire removal tool should be located on your hood prop rod, unless you lost it.
Redline fluids could be bought at local race shop or local rice shop, it don't cost that much. Coolant can be bought at dealer.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

the special tool should be attached to your hood prop, also make sur eyou only use it with the engine cold, you put it down the plug hole,(ok i tried to re-phrase this but couldn't get it to sound non-dirty) twist it to the left till it drops a bit, then to the right as far as possible and yank the plug wire out. now befor eyou take out the plugs, get a vacume cleaner with a small extension ( i used a thick slurpee straw) or compressed air and get all of the sand out, YES there will be sand, make sure you get it all, use a flashlight. then you need a socket and a long ratchet (10" or so). when putting the plugs back i njust put em in firmly, don't tighten em alot, just so they're in firm without a lot of force

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: tune up time... (squishy12)

quote:[HR][/HR]the special tool should be attached to your hood prop...[HR][/HR]​
Thats sooooo cool...i learn a new funny little thing about my 'dub every day it seems...i LOVE this car!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.