VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. What a week it's been. I've been driving the Dasher to and from work. It's been very... illuminating.
I already knew this, but I'm writing this here to remind myself every time I see this thread; Carburetors are a great way to deliver properly proportioned fuel. IF they're setup correctly.
This thread is going to be the story of my journey to that point. Maybe a weekend thing? Probably a 2-3 weekend thing?
The story so far: The 32/36 is a substantial joy enhancer on my 1.8.
Sunday: Great time driving the Dasher. The instructions for the choke setup are solid, and it warms up just as I would expect it to. Waking up slightly earlier to accommodate.
Monday: Idle and very low throttle is becoming a bit uncertain. Sometimes high, sometimes low. I assume the idle speed screw may be too far in, occasionally exposing the transition holes and causing rich conditions. I try and adjust accordingly after work.
Tuesday: Closing the idle speed screw did not have an effect on the wandering idle. At times when it is idling normally, I have adjusted the idle mixture screw and I don't suspect it. Occasionally I have to bump the throttle at idle because if I let it go it will die.
Wednesday: Okay, something is definitely wrong here, settings adjustments are not doing what they should, car isn't doing what it should, it's becoming a bit stressful. I scratch my head. I start making a list of things to rule out. I start this thread.

Thursday is my Friday. Here are the things I'm going to do this weekend to rule out various vectors of vehicular vroom-icide.
  • Redline mentions that their manifolds are made for more than one application, and thus some clearancing may need to be done to clear the exhaust. I did this with a hand file, and I was pretty sure it was good but ultimately I am not satisfied with the finish or the amount of material I was able to remove. I'm going to use a die grinder to ensure the fit is perfect.
  • The phenolic spacer supplied with the kit is seriously not flat. I used it anyway, and I regret that. I'm going to do what I can to smooth the surfaces more. Depending on how well that goes I may add a gasket or sealant.
  • I'm going to fiberglass wrap the exhaust manifold, and attempt to RE-install the plated heat shield which normally sits above the exhaust. I have not identified this as THE problem, just that most would say it's going to be a problem at some point.
  • My base ignition timing is set for 6 BTDC, with centrifugal advance only, no vacuum (busted diaphragm). I'm considering advancing slightly in order to increase total advance with the centrifugal.

In addition to these easy tasks, I also have a jetpack coming in the mail soon. Possibly Friday.
I'll try to take pictures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay this should have been obvious

It has become apparent to me that the phenolic spacer is not intended to gasket at all. I thought about it, but the kit from Redline didn't include anything else for between the carb and the manifold. I made the mistake of assuming that was because none was necessary. What can I say, it was 2 weeks ago. I was young and foolish then...
So I'm swinging hard in the opposite direction now: Two gaskets.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additionally, this won't be reattached to the manifold until after the clearancing is done on the manifold. If you see this, you have until then to convince me to use or not use red or gray RTV between the gaskets and the spacer.
Should be something like 30 minutes after it's acceptable to use a die grinder in the morning hours. My only immediate neighbor is basically deaf, though...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some photos of where the manifold seems to have been touching the exhaust. Like I said, I did some filing before the first fitting of the manifold, but clearly not enough.

Note the two knicks in the outer runners. Here's a close-up:

Further evidence of a poorly seated manifold seen here, I believe. The intake gasket sticking unevenly alone wouldn't be too alarming, but here you can see that the gasket is stuck on the outside top corners. If the bottom is being kept from seating properly, those spots, closest to the bolt holes where it is capable of getting closer, would be where the best connection could be.

Seeing that prompted me to look more closely for signs of contact on the exhaust manifold itself (I had done, but on the ribbing further from the head).
I noted that the exhaust manifold gaskets on cylinders #1 and #2 protrude slightly into the intake manifold space. Possibly enough to interfere, possibly not. I focused more filing on that area of the intake.

Finally, here are pictures of the dented areas of the runners after being filed down.

That's all for tonight. Unfortunately, it looks like the jetpack won't be arriving until Monday although Amazon has surprised me before...
Tomorrow while the carb is still off I'm going to take a looksee at the jets and record their current values and compare to some resources. Haven't found many but this thread: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5630320-Weber-32-36-question-about-install has two sets of jets one "recommended for 1.7/1.8" and another from a guy with a 1.8 Quantum.
I didn't pick up any exhaust wrap on my way home, couldn't figure out who would have some on the shelf. Also still debating whether that makes sense. I test fit the old heat shield and it doesn't fit like I remember it fitting. It was bolted to the CIS intake manifold not the exhaust. To use it I'd have to rig up some brackets on the studs for the old pre-heat ducting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My jets as the kit was sold:
Primary Air Corrector: 165
Secondary Air corrector: 160
Main Primary: 137
Main Secondary: 140
Primary Idle: 60
Secondary Idle jet: 50

Trying to get closer to the two examples I saw above (I know that's seriously arbitrary, but it's two testimonies of good running 32/36s on a 1.8. Now that I have the jet kit I'm able to modify further.)
Secondary Air corrector: 180
Primary Idle: 65
Secondary Idle jet: 55

I was specifically having problems with the idle on the car, mostly I attribute them to the vacuum leaking, but fortunately those are the easiest jets to swap.
Currently waiting on some RTV to dry, then a test drive.

·
Registered
899 Posts
:thumbup:
My jets as the kit was sold:
Secondary Air corrector: 160
Primary Idle: 60
Secondary Idle jet: 50

Trying to get closer to the two examples I saw above (I know that's seriously arbitrary, but it's two testimonies of good running 32/36s on a 1.8. Now that I have the jet kit I'm able to modify further.)
Secondary Air corrector: 180
Primary Idle: 65
Secondary Idle jet: 55

I was specifically having problems with the idle on the car, mostly I attribute them to the vacuum leaking, but fortunately those are the easiest jets to swap.
Currently waiting on some RTV to dry, then a test drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.