VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on purchasing the 2022 SEL-P R-Line and I have a few questions:
  1. What are the tuning options available? Stock is 276 hp, I'd love to get it somewhere in the 300-350 range. I wouldn't mind paying up to $2k for it.
  2. Is it possible to disable the auto start/stop? (I understand that I would need to buy or borrow a programming unit) I see a 30-page thread on the topic, but couldn't get a clear answer from skimming it.
  3. I've read that the 2021 models have had horrible remote starter range using the key fob, but that VW was working on some range improver that can be installed afterwards. Is there any updates on this?
  4. How much is the monthly app after the free period?

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,673 Posts
1. Since it’s naturally aspirated you’d probably be looking at adding on a turbo and I’m sure others may have better insight.

2. Coding start/stop no longer available in newer models, so you’re probably looking at this:

3. You can purchase a range extender from the dealer. Never had an issue with my 2019 and I use the trick of extending the range by putting the keyfob to my chin.

4. Around $19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NewJettaLease

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,673 Posts
Not that I’m aware of, but I’m sure someone might have some insight.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The atlas is not a V6, it's a VR6. There are countless supercharger kits out there for the VR6. Not sure it's been done on the Atlas but it's definitely doable. A supercharged kit would mean the sky is the limit

·
Registered
2017 Passat Sel Premium Vr6
34 Posts
I have a 2017 Passat with the same Vr6 (3.6) and mine makes 291 after a tune. I only gained about 11hp from apr. for the most part the Vr6 is already capped so unless you get a supercharger you’re kinda SOL. But most super chargers I’ve looked into only fit the 3.2 Vr6 from the R32

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The atlas is not a V6, it's a VR6. There are countless supercharger kits out there for the VR6. Not sure it's been done on the Atlas but it's definitely doable. A supercharged kit would mean the sky is the limit
Thanks for the clarification. When you say the sky is the limit, what does that mean? Sorry, I'm new to the differences between a turbo and a super charger.

I have a 2017 Passat with the same Vr6 (3.6) and mine makes 291 after a tune. I only gained about 11hp from apr. for the most part the Vr6 is already capped so unless you get a supercharger you’re kinda SOL. But most super chargers I’ve looked into only fit the 3.2 Vr6 from the R32
Was this a software tune only? Can you tell the difference between the 11hp?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. When you say the sky is the limit, what does that mean? Sorry, I'm new to the differences between a turbo and a super charger.

Was this a software tune only? Can you tell the difference between the 11hp?
Supercharged vr6 have made 400-550whp all day long, historically. If you're looking for 1k HP then you'll need a turbo (and a lot of fabrication).

11hp is likely able to be felt - that 11hp is probably peak. Under the curve I image even more is made. VR6 have wide power bands and torque - that's where the difference will be. Plus, transmission tuning would really top it off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Supercharged vr6 have made 400-550whp all day long
I would be more than happy with 350 hp. Can you share the brands that make the super chargers for non-Atlas VR6s? I'd love to reach out to them to see if it's on their roadmap.

Besides the Super Charger Kit, what would be a ballpark price for labor to get one installed?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The big tuners (APR, Unitronic) have not come out with a tune for the 3.6 VR, APR has one for the same engine in the Passat/CC. APR had said that they would do it if someone loaned them their Atlas for the necessary R&D time at their facility in Alabama. NA tunes are going to be about driveability improvements more than anything but I'm sure an intake/exhaust and tune would wake it up a bit.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I would be more than happy with 350 hp. Can you share the brands that make the super chargers for non-Atlas VR6s? I'd love to reach out to them to see if it's on their roadmap.

Besides the Super Charger Kit, what would be a ballpark price for labor to get one installed?
Vf engineering. Vortech. Those are the big 2. I think over the years there have been a few one off joints that came out too

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the 2.0T better in the Atlas and it can be tuned. We have 12K miles on ours and very happy with it. Previously had a VR6 Atlas and Touareg.
I just compared the features that I care about between the SEL-P R-Line and the SEL, and I wouldn't want to buy a car without these features. Is there any way to add them on?
  • Power auto-folding side mirrors
  • Actively ventilated front seats
  • Heated 2nd-row seats
  • Area View (Overhead View Camera)
  • Fender® Premium Audio System

The big tuners (APR, Unitronic) have not come out with a tune for the 3.6 VR, APR has one for the same engine in the Passat/CC. APR had said that they would do it if someone loaned them their Atlas for the necessary R&D time at their facility in Alabama.
Thanks, I'll reach out to them. Just curious, did they ever mention how long the necessary R&D time was? If it was a week or two, I might be able to swing that.

Vf engineering. Vortech. Those are the big 2.
Thanks, I'll reach out to them as well.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Typically it would be a for a week or two if you are the test mule. APR is great to be a test mule for so that would be awesome if you can do it

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have a SEL-P 2.0T. And freakin’ love the vehicle. We had a 2019 VR6 bought back due to steering rack issues.

We even added the factory hitch.

I strongly believe that the 2.0T Atlas is the most reliable version. And there’s a few left out there. The 2.0T will sadly not be available in SEL-P in 2022.

·
Registered
2017 Passat Sel Premium Vr6
34 Posts
Supercharged vr6 have made 400-550whp all day long, historically. If you're looking for 1k HP then you'll need a turbo (and a lot of fabrication).

11hp is likely able to be felt - that 11hp is probably peak. Under the curve I image even more is made. VR6 have wide power bands and torque - that's where the difference will be. Plus, transmission tuning would really top it off.
Ngl im still very new to this tuning world, so I’m not sure. it was on a dyno tho (291 to the crank) all I have is the borla exhaust and a evoms intake on the way. I wasn’t complaining because they said it’s a N/A tune on a not so available engine. They recommended tuning the DSG as well but I had already spend about $900 on mods this weekend so I’ll put it off for a little. **** I’d love to get 320hp out of this thing. And from what I’ve seen in videos this dsg (DQ250) can only handle a maximum of 295 lb-ft.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just compared the features that I care about between the SEL-P R-Line and the SEL, and I wouldn't want to buy a car without these features. Is there any way to add them on?
  • Power auto-folding side mirrors
  • Actively ventilated front seats
  • Heated 2nd-row seats
  • Area View (Overhead View Camera)
  • Fender® Premium Audio System
Well, anything can be done for a price. It's just many of these aren't going to be worth the price it would cost to do post-purchase.
Mirrors, I'm sure you could get the parts and install them and code for it, but probably hundreds of dollars.
Vented front seats, you'd need to buy the seats and probably there is a control unit, plus the buttons and wiring for the dash, and then code for it. Probably well over $1000.
Heated 2nd row, you'd need new seats, buttons, wiring and coding.
360 view. Forget about it. Cameras, computer, programming etc.
Fender.....I'd just put in aftermarket speakers and an amp. Probably better quality and cheaper than the Fender.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
There are no supercharger or turbo solutions on any market for this car. Nothing. Even if you went totally one-off, custom made by some fabrication company, you would still need someone to do the ECU tuning as NOTHING is off the shelf. I do not believe that is even an option unless you physically take your car to a tuning shop that specializes in VW ECU custom tuning. I believe there are only a handful in the country. You are looking at 10k plus for the hardware and well over 1k for the ECU. I am basing that 10k figure off of the fact that readily available super/turbocharger options costs approach that.

In reality, this is not the car for you if you need that in the V6 engine. There is more available for the 2.0T engine as it is already turbo'd and there are ECU tunes for the turbo. Simply tuning an ecu does not automatically get you power. There has to be more power to go. With a turbo you can always increase the boost pressure and add fuel. Without a turbo or supercharger you are stuck with atmospheric pressure and you can't add fuel unless you add air. All you can do is increase efficiency and the motor seems to be fairly efficient already.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts