VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
12,895 Posts
I have a 2017 Passat with the same Vr6 (3.6) and mine makes 291 after a tune. I only gained about 11hp from apr. for the most part the Vr6 is already capped so unless you get a supercharger you’re kinda SOL. But most super chargers I’ve looked into only fit the 3.2 Vr6 from the R32
The ECS intake gains more than 11hp on the VR6. When I asked companies about optimizing a tune for intake and exhaust mods, they basically said no.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well you guys have convinced me. I am working with a dealership now to ship me a 2021.5 Atlas SEL-P 2.0T. Not in the colors that I would prefer for the interior, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic!

Next question, which chip will drive the most performance? Is it the APR ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS20-ATLAS one linked above?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well you guys have convinced me. I am working with a dealership now to ship me a 2021.5 Atlas SEL-P 2.0T. Not in the colors that I would prefer for the interior, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic!

Next question, which chip will drive the most performance? Is it the APR ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS20-ATLAS one linked above?
Sorry I arrived at the party a bit late. I ordered our 2021 Atlas as soon as it became available with the 2.0T engine and 4-Motion. It took four months to build and deliver. We have now owned our Atlas for about a year.

After the past year and 11k miles, I remain convinced we bought the right powertrain combination. Our situation is a bit uncommon in that we live at about 6000 feet elevation (Rocky Mountains). We cross higher mountain passes on a regular basis. This definitely amplifies the advantages of turbocharging. At high altitude, the 2.0T is substantially faster than the 3.6 VR6. I cannot speak to performance at elevations closer to sea level.

Based on various performance graphs and real-world trials, I am convinced the power rating on the 2.0T Atlas engine is “sandbagged” very substantially. The 3.6 VR6 is supposed to be a great engine, and it sounds wonderful. But the turbocharged engine was the deal-maker for me.

If I were wanting to tune the 2.0T engine, it seems the APR software would be my first choice. That could change in the near future, as new products continue to emerge.

🍺

·
Registered
222 Posts
It has been said in bits in pieces here but the Atlas 3.6 is NOT a car you should buy if you want to do power mods. The 3.6 is a naturally aspirated motor and cannot be tuned for any significant power increases. The easy and affordable increases you see being done on other vehicles are generally for forced induction cars (super or turbo). To add forced induction to a naturally aspirated engine like the 3.6 can be done but it would be terribly expensive to do it right. Much more expensive that modding an engine supported by the aftermarket companies and since there has been no development on this specific platform the trans may not even hold up without it being customized by someone like TVS and on and on. Not a platform for this exercise.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry I arrived at the party a bit late. I ordered our 2021 Atlas as soon as it became available with the 2.0T engine and 4-Motion. It took four months to build and deliver. We have now owned our Atlas for about a year.

After the past year and 11k miles, I remain convinced we bought the right powertrain combination. Our situation is a bit uncommon in that we live at about 6000 feet elevation (Rocky Mountains). We cross higher mountain passes on a regular basis. This definitely amplifies the advantages of turbocharging. At high altitude, the 2.0T is substantially faster than the 3.6 VR6. I cannot speak to performance at elevations closer to sea level.

Based on various performance graphs and real-world trials, I am convinced the power rating on the 2.0T Atlas engine is “sandbagged” very substantially. The 3.6 VR6 is supposed to be a great engine, and it sounds wonderful. But the turbocharged engine was the deal-maker for me.

If I were wanting to tune the 2.0T engine, it seems the APR software would be my first choice. That could change in the near future, as new products continue to emerge.

🍺
Yes 2.0T is quite the workhorse and so many mods available for very affordable power increases.
An APR Stage 1 tune on 91 oct gas is rated at 311hp/340ftlb - Huge increase over stock for just 500 bucks. And this tune is emissions legal in all states including California.

The newest 2.0T really responds well to just simple tuning.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes 2.0T is quite the workhorse and so many mods available for very affordable power increases.
An APR Stage 1 tune on 91 oct gas is rated at 311hp/340ftlb - Huge increase over stock for just 500 bucks. And this tune is emissions legal in all states including California.

The newest 2.0T really responds well to just simple tuning.
But can it tow?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
VW didn’t fully equip the 2.0T application in the Atlas for towing. To answer your question, only 2K lbs worth officially. Have to go VR6 for the 5K rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I had to do

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah that's what I had to do

A few guys have dug pretty deep with this and discovered that the 2.0T has most of the goods to support a higher rating. But market forces dictated otherwise.

It’s a bummer that VW doesn’t have an optimized mill for this application. With all of their resources…

·
Registered
278 Posts
A few guys have dug pretty deep with this and discovered that the 2.0T has most of the goods to support a higher rating. But market forces dictated otherwise.

It’s a bummer that VW doesn’t have an optimized mill for this application. With all of their resources…

If only i could put the Q7 engine on the atlas

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If only i could put the Q7 engine on the atlas

The Q7 is available with the 2.0T EA888 Gen3 engine, similar to the Atlas. It also has other engine choices.

🍺

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
But can it tow?

VW didn’t fully equip the 2.0T application in the Atlas for towing. To answer your question, only 2K lbs worth officially. Have to go VR6 for the 5K rating.

Ding ding ding! No, it cannot tow. No 2.0t in any VAG application is rated for any amount of towing, save a thousand pounds or two.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ding ding ding! No, it cannot tow. No 2.0t in any VAG application is rated for any amount of towing, save a thousand pounds or two.
The 3.6 liter VR6 engine with towing package is the clear choice for people wanting to tow with the Volkswagen Atlas.

On a side note, the Audi Q7 is similar in size and weight to the VW Atlas. The Q7 is capable of towing up to 4400 pounds with the 2.0T (EA888 Gen3) engine, according to the Audi USA website. This is with the optional towing package. I pasted a condensed excerpt below:

Technical specifications
2022 Audi Q7 with 45 Premium quattro® Tiptronic®
Eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive
Engine
Engine type2.0-liter four-cylinderDisplacement (cc)/Bore and stroke (mm)1,984/82.5 x 92.8Max. output248 HPMax. Torque273 lb-ftEngine blockCast IronCylinder headAluminum-alloyValvetrain16 valve DOHC with Audi valvelift system and variable valve timingInduction/fuel injectionTFSI®/TurbochargedTop speed *km/hTowing capacity (lb)Optional 4,400 lbs

🍺

Reactions: krebsy75

·
Registered
222 Posts
But can it tow?

The motor can, when prepped right but there seems to be a huge difference in towing capacity between the Atlas 2.0t and 3.6. 2000lbs vs 5000lbs which
I meant i want the 6cyl turbo engine in my atlas

VW has no turbo 6 in any of their lineup. Audi 3.0T has been supercharged 6 for years available in Q5 and Q7 and with a simple tune produce 447hp on 91oct and are capable of more with more mods. Audi has also had the turbo diesel 6 in the Q5 and Q7, it is the engine I have in my A8 and it performs very well (mine is chipped)

Audis new (2019 and up) Q8 came out with a turbocharged 6 both gas and TDI.

So if you want a forced induction 6 - go Audi Q5, Q7 or Q8. Not VW. The 3.0T Q7 tows 7,700 llbs and you can find nice used ones for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The motor can, when prepped right but there seems to be a huge difference in towing capacity between the Atlas 2.0t and 3.6. 2000lbs vs 5000lbs which

VW has no turbo 6 in any of their lineup. Audi 3.0T has been supercharged 6 for years available in Q5 and Q7 and with a simple tune produce 447hp on 91oct and are capable of more with more mods. Audi has also had the turbo diesel 6 in the Q5 and Q7, it is the engine I have in my A8 and it performs very well (mine is chipped)

Audis new (2019 and up) Q8 came out with a turbocharged 6 both gas and TDI.

So if you want a forced induction 6 - go Audi Q5, Q7 or Q8. Not VW. The 3.0T Q7 tows 7,700 llbs and you can find nice used ones for a reasonable price.
The new sq5 is a turbocharged 3.0 :(

41 - 60 of 64 Posts