VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
The motor can, when prepped right but there seems to be a huge difference in towing capacity between the Atlas 2.0t and 3.6. 2000lbs vs 5000lbs which

VW has no turbo 6 in any of their lineup. Audi 3.0T has been supercharged 6 for years available in Q5 and Q7 and with a simple tune produce 447hp on 91oct and are capable of more with more mods. Audi has also had the turbo diesel 6 in the Q5 and Q7, it is the engine I have in my A8 and it performs very well (mine is chipped)

Audis new (2019 and up) Q8 came out with a turbocharged 6 both gas and TDI.

So if you want a forced induction 6 - go Audi Q5, Q7 or Q8. Not VW. The 3.0T Q7 tows 7,700 llbs and you can find nice used ones for a reasonable price.
Because it's marketing and they want to spend more for the worse engine. I've had both a 2.0 Cross Sport SEL FWD (totalled at 1400 miles :-(. ) And a 3.6 SEL FWD Cross Sport (replacement for totaled one couldn't find a 2.0 SEL) and the vr6 is such a worse motor. It's slower, heavier, gets worse mpg, and has not tuning options hardly at all.

I towed a small trailer with dirt bikes on both. The 2.0 was actually easier towing the 3000 pounds then my vr6. All while getting 4-5mpg better everywhere.

Miss my 2.0 and wish I could get an Rline with 2.0 and not the vr6.

·
Banned
12,895 Posts
Because it's marketing and they want to spend more for the worse engine. I've had both a 2.0 Cross Sport SEL FWD (totalled at 1400 miles :-(. ) And a 3.6 SEL FWD Cross Sport (replacement for totaled one couldn't find a 2.0 SEL) and the vr6 is such a worse motor. It's slower, heavier, gets worse mpg, and has not tuning options hardly at all.
Worse is relative, I've seen numerous 2.0T's have issues as they are more prone to coil pack and spark plug issues, consuming oil, etc and they are limited on tuning options as well (I believe only one company tunes each engine in the Atlas). As mentioned before a 60lb difference on a 4000+lb vehicle isn't all that drastic and can easily be made up for in other places. With a few simple mods the VR6 gets pretty good mileage for its class and sounds a lot better. Is what it is, everybody has different opinions, personally I came from a 2.0T and enjoy the VR6.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I just got the APR update on the 2021.5 2.0T and so far it's nice. I'll need to give it some more time to really see how it handles at various ranges, but so far I'm liking it.

It also auto-disables the Start/Stop feature. I know some people in this thread are saying it's not possible with the newer models, so I was pleasantly surprised.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts