VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine looks strong from factory with 255hp/243tq...any guess how the aftermarket will react to it..anything special or just normal type like exhaust, chip, intake. Will the high 12.5:1 compression ratio due to FSI be problematic?

· Registered
187 Posts
Re: Tuning question re: 3.2 FSI V6 (pford)

I imagine it could be quite a wait -- I haven't heard of anything as of yet...over in Europe or here in the States. As a 3.2 owner I have definitely been keeping my eyes peeled. I would love to see some of the options that are available for the old 3.0 -- a modest ecu chip, tip chip, exhaust, better intake, eventually a supercharger. Of course having driven the car for 5K miles now (since May), I am also more than pleased with the stock performance. According to my g-tech I have been running low to mid 6's 0-60 on all-season tires. Not bad at all for a heavy, tiptronic, quattro V6. Of course where this engine really shines is at speeds over 70 mph...but not much opportunity for that on roads here.
I think one problem is a lack of market. 3.2 FSI A4's are a tiny percentage of A4's sold (I think I read like 7%). Maybe this number will go up somewhat when they bring the manual 3.2 A4 here to the US. The 3.2 in the TT is different (non-FSI), and the 3.2 in the upcoming A3 quattro will be FSI but transverse mounted, different tranny, Haldex quattro, etc. Volkswagen is skipping the 3.2 FSI altogether and using a 3.6 non-FSI in the Passat (and I assume across all of their models). That's a killer right there, as VW always sells a high volume of cars and tends to spur some tuning.
The 3.2 is the predominant engine sold in the new A6 (like 80%), but that is still a relatively small number of cars (compared to the amount of cars with the 2.0T). Not to mention that the average A6 owner is not really the "tuner" type.
But the biggest obstacle is the tunability of the 2.0T. That car is significantly cheaper, gets better gas mileage, the engine will be in a lot of VW's...and sees significant gains with just a $500 chip.
So I wait... And that's OK, if I get the itch I can always get new wheels and performance tires (I'll do that next summer), upgrade the suspension, and I want to retrofit an s-line steering wheel with paddle shifters.
Luckily the stock performance of the 3.2 is such that the car will still easily hang with modded 2.0T's, and at highway speeds the V6 will always be a better engine. AND your warranty will still be 100% intact. But I think if you want to tune, the 2.0T is the way to go.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tuning question re: 3.2 FSI V6 (jsamans)

jsamans..Thanks for the info....looks like the car does fine in stock trim...nice balance of torque and hp...I imagine
you can drop those times likely with suspension and tire upgrades.maybe mid to low 14 sec times?
.....So basically you saying no charger package atleast for awhile, just chip, intake, exahust(20-25hp?) Can you compare responsiveness and handling of the B7 A4 compared to the BMW 3 series?

· Registered
187 Posts

Yeah I think mid-high 14's would not be unreasonable with better tires. Like I said, I've just been using a G-Tech and it's hard enough to get a good 0-60 run -- quarter mile times are basically impossible to get on regular streets. I should take it to a track to really know for sure. I think you would need more HP for low 14's though, expecially for a car this heavy.
I think they finally got out a supercharger for the 3.0 this year....so those take a while. I would think it will be 3-4 years for a kit to be developed, if they can even do it with the FSI.
In terms of comparing to the BMW's I don't think it compares very well...it is very different. The BMW (basing this on my test drive of the E90 330i) is more of a "purist" car in that it has the rear wheel drive and manual 6-speed. It feels sportier and more agile at lower speeds. It has more of a traditional sports car feel than the 3.2 A4. The A4 has more of a luxury feel to it than the BMW...it's smoother and more refined feeling...the result of sharing its entire drivetrain with the A6. I'd say the 330i is faster in a straight line -- it's lighter and doesn't loose as much HP to the wheels as quattro. But the Audi quattro beats it in the turns and in anything other than dry conditions IMO. Totally subjective, but I prefer the quattro "plantedness" as compared to the more nervous feeling rear wheel drive.

· Registered
300 Posts
just a thought ...
If tuners will tune for a R32 , they will tune for the 3.2 fsi , cause it is going in the new Euro R32, new A3, A4,A6, most likely New Jetta and Gti/ golf
And the Passat in the USA gets the beefeed up 3.8 as does the US R32 ( r38?)
THere will be tuners out there... it's just that the 2.0 makes big hp jumps with adjusting the Boost, same went for the 1.8T...
My R32 is pritty quick , and the did not make a whole lot of them ( 5000 for the USDM) and the engine is " old" compaired to the new FSI engines , but still very simular...
Give it a bit of time... Garret & Apr will have one out I 'd bet, but don't expect big jumps in power, like 10- 20 hp , higher redline, and no top speed limiter...

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: (bigbadbullv2)

Quote, originally posted by bigbadbullv2 »
just a thought ...
If tuners will tune for a R32 , they will tune for the 3.2 fsi , cause it is going in the new Euro R32, new A3, A4,A6, most likely New Jetta and Gti/ golf
And the Passat in the USA gets the beefeed up 3.8 as does the US R32 ( r38?)

The R32 VR6 engine and 3.2L FSI engine in the A4 aren't related. The 3.6L V6 engine in the Passat and Touareg is, however.

· Registered
277 Posts
Re: (jsamans)

VF Engineering has a supercharger for the new A3 3.2
They just need to reconfig the blower position for the longitudinal engine setup of the A4. Not that there's much room.
Don't know if PES is going to do anything. Wish they would.
I'm getting the 3.2 in hopes of a supercharger down the road. Probably be a year before they are available.

· Registered
362 Posts

A4 2.0TQM will match the HP #'s (250-260) and be close to 300 ft./lbs. (60 ft./lbs. more than the 3.2) with an APR ECU reflash and turbo back exhaust system. Factoring in the weight difference, a 2.0T with the mods mentioned above will be able to beat a stock 3.2 FSI and it's still probably cheaper altogether. And a 3.2 will not always be better than a 2.0T on the highway. The turbo will be easily spooled at highway speeds (there's very little lag in the 2.0T to begin with) and you'll walk away from the 3.2 untill you get deep into the 120+ MPH range. Downshifting in a turbo car on the highway is a blast!

· Registered
736 Posts
Re: (smittypaul)

Quote, originally posted by smittypaul »
VF Engineering has a supercharger for the new A3 3.2
They just need to reconfig the blower position for the longitudinal engine setup of the A4. Not that there's much room.
Don't know if PES is going to do anything. Wish they would.
I'm getting the 3.2 in hopes of a supercharger down the road. Probably be a year before they are available.

Unlike the 2.0Ts, which are all the same motor, the 3.2 VR6 in the A3, Passat and TT is a completely different engine than the 3.1L V6 in the A4 so-called "3.2".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.