VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell where it's coming from. It looks like one of two spots if not both. the return line looks oily. I tightened up the rear bolt ont he flange and I can't tell if that fixed it just yet. but there are parts of the turbo higher up that the return line that are oily. the feed line is dry.
two questions. is it possible that I'm feeding it too much oil, and it's backing up? or is is possible that it's not returning so well and backing up?, say my return line is tapped too low on y oil pan. or could it just be one bad seal? and lastly, would a turbo rebuild help in any of this?

· Administrator
28,726 Posts
If it's an oil feed (lack of an oil restrictor) or an oil return (too low on the oil pan) problem then as you know a rebuild won't fix it.
It is entirely true that you could be getting oil backing UP from the oil pan IF the flange is welded in way too low on the pan.
And from what I hear you could cause problems if you do not have an oil restrictor for your feed line (I do not have that problem).
But from my brief (yet trial by fire) head of knowledge with the turbo my guess would be if it's physically leaking out it would have to be at one of those flanges????
IE: if there was too much oil in the turbo due to oil feed or return problems I think you'd start seeing smoke while running (oil soaking through the seals and burning out the exhaust).
Just my thoughts... if anything, a bump up for the experts here to help.
EDIT: and if you ever need an extra eye I'm not far from you and I've got the same year vr6t.

· Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I don't think I have an oil restrictor on the feed line. thing is I didn't have any leak problems, then my braided atp return line was cut by my axle and was replaced with a silicone return line. since that was done I the turbo started to leak...I think. The turbo could have been leaking with the braided line I just took it as leaking from were it was broke. in the swap I ended up using different parts. I am getting some smoke in my exhaust it's very periodic and I put it down to a bad valve seal. but I don't know enough about turbo internals to know the oil passage and how it's sealed so on.
also with using the silicone return line I don't know if I over tightened the barbed part coming from the turbo causing a leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.