VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from having a diagnostic done, it appears i may need to replace my turbo charger. lots of black smoke and no acceleration. is this something an amateur can do, I've replaced brakes, changed the oil, filter and fuel filter, i just swapped out the glow plugs. I'm getting a second opinion regarding the turbo, if it's confirmed. is there anything special or tricks i need to know before attacking the project.
any advice, direction or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Re: turbo charger replacement 2001 tdi (johnfparrish)

yeah, make sure that you actually need a turbo instead of some other problem that is causing the smoke. Who did the diagnostic, the local mechanic? Did they use VAG COM?
Yes changing the turbo is pretty easy. I would recommend removing the EGR cooler, the intake, and the exhaust manifold. Why? Because it's probably the easiest way, you will have no clearance problems, and it's an oppportunity to clean the intake manifold of carbon.
There are only 3 bolts that attach the turbo to the exhaust, a few mounting bolts, and an oil line. Technically, it's not very difficult, it just requires time. No special tools are required, make sure to get new gaskets and a new turbo oil line - they always get damaged when you remove old ones.
Here is a link for head removal, do everything but open the valve cover and remove the head. Here is a link for intake manifold removal, same idea.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1...l.htm
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1...l.htm

·
Registered
834 Posts

If black smoke and no acceleration are your symptoms, then it's probably not the turbo. If the turbo failed, the ECM would see there is no boost and cut the fuel delivery to avoid the black smoke. If the smoke were blueish, then I would consider the turbo's oil seals had failed. Yours sounds more like a timing issue or fuel temperature sensor issue... also, when did you last replace the mass airflow sensor? These get gunked up all the time and cause a no-power condition.

Modified by TurboDieselTech at 8:38 PM 6-23-2007

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: turbo charger replacement 2001 tdi (chittychittybangbang)

yeah, i'm going to make sure, i took it to an auto zone they came up with a 1556 code. 1. mass airflow sensor,2. wastegate failure, 3. turo failure. to many choices so i'm having the dealer run a diagnotic.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Your turbo is most likely fine, your MAS is probably bad, the wastegate solenoid may also be bad. Clean the wastegate solenoid with brake parts cleaner while off the car, replace the MAS entirely, see if that fixes your problem...the only special tool you need is a special bolt to remove the MAS, other than that, it's very easy.
|2nd the vacuum lines
V

Modified by chittychittybangbang at 11:12 AM 6-24-2007

·
Registered
834 Posts

Quote, originally posted by johnfparrish »
yeah, i'm going to make sure, i took it to an auto zone they came up with a 1556 code. 1. mass airflow sensor,2. wastegate failure, 3. turo failure. to many choices so i'm having the dealer run a diagnotic.

Actually, the P1556 code is "Charge Pressure Control Negative Deviation"...meaning, the ECU is not seeing the boost pressure it expects. This can be a few different things... the most common is a broken vacuum line running from the N75 valve to the turbo's "wastegate". I put wastegate in quotes because it's not really a wastegate. It's a boost actuator. Wastegates are "on" all the time (allowing the turbo to create boost) and are activated by boost pressure (thus limiting boost or turning the turbo off) . Boost actuators are just the opposite... they are "off" all the time and are activated by the computer to make the turbo start boosting.
If you look at the turbo, there's a big diaphragm with one or two small hoses running to it... check those hoses to see if they are cracked and leaking. Heat from the turbo causes these hoses to dryrot and crack... usually right where they hook to the turbo actuator. If they are, then YOU can easily replace those hoses and save lots of $$$ in the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.