VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend is trying to convince me that the reason VW dropped the 10/100k warranty was because they increased the boost on the 2002s and therefore the turbo would most likely fail quicker. Any logic to this?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (JWHITE)

quote:[HR][/HR]Friend is trying to convince me that the reason VW dropped the 10/100k warranty was because they increased the boost on the 2002s and therefore the turbo would most likely fail quicker. Any logic to this?[HR][/HR]​
No...It's because you get a better bumper to bumper. It's a money thing. They can't offer both the 4 year and the 10 year...too much to shell out (money) I would imagine. I would rather have the 4 year. My last three VW's had other problems within the 4 years...no power train problems with the others. This would have saved me a lot of money if I had the current warantee. As long as you treat your car well, anything that is defective will fail before the warantee is up (powertrain...and I me drive the car nicely
).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (Satchriani)

quote:[HR][/HR]he's just jealous.
I've not heard anything like that yet. [HR][/HR]​
Probably , but VW nows offers a 4 year warranty of their 2002 cars so the 100,000km is history.I never heard of premature turbo failures on the 1.8T either way its still cover under the 80,000/4 year coverage.

·
Registered
17,263 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (JWHITE)

quote:[HR][/HR]Friend is trying to convince me that the reason VW dropped the 10/100k warranty was because they increased the boost on the 2002s and therefore the turbo would most likely fail quicker. Any logic to this?[HR][/HR]​
Guys, you are all wrong, sort of.
WHile it is true tht they cut the 10/100 to cut expenses from increasing the engine and b2b warranties, you missed a fundamental error in the original question:
THe turbocharger was NEVER covered under the 10/100 warranty anyway. The 10/100 is the drivetrain warranty If your turbo blows, it's covered under the engine warranty ( the new 4/48).
Also, while not common, it is fairly frequent that someone's turbo prematurely blows. Usually it's on chipped 1.8ts, but it can happen on non-chipped also!

·
Registered
17,263 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (arribasn)

quote:[HR][/HR]what? the 10/100 must have covered the turbo, that an integral part of the motor, ie the drivetrain[HR][/HR]​
No, there is a serparate motor warranty. Drivetrain is strictly transmission. Read your owners manual before you try to argue something like this

·
Registered
14,715 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (VarLordahl)

I always thought the engine was part of the powertrain warranty, too. I guess I'll check the manual again.
Come to think of it, I never actually read that part.

·
Registered
462 Posts

for anyone needing clarification
10-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty for the Original Owner
(The period covers 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. * EuroVan Campers have a 5-year/50,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. The Period covers 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.)
Coverage includes parts and labor for any repair to correct a defect in material or workmanship for the following items:
Engine
cylinder block and all internal parts
cylinder head and all internal parts
oil pump
water pump
valvetrain
spur belt
flywheel
manifolds
all related seals and gaskets
Transmission
case and all internal parts
torque converter
Drivetrain
differential and all internal parts
driveshafts and constant velocity (CV) joints
Terms and Conditions
Immediate family members (wife, husband, son or daughter) may retain the original limited warranty as a subsequent owner of the vehicle.
Other subsequent owners are entitled to a 5-year/50,000-mile limited warranty (whichever comes first).
This warranty does not apply to vehicles used for commercial purposes such as taxis, limousines and rental vehicles.

·
Registered
180 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Guys, you are all wrong, sort of.
WHile it is true tht they cut the 10/100 to cut expenses from increasing the engine and b2b warranties, you missed a fundamental error in the original question:
THe turbocharger was NEVER covered under the 10/100 warranty anyway. The 10/100 is the drivetrain warranty If your turbo blows, it's covered under the engine warranty ( the new 4/48).
Also, while not common, it is fairly frequent that someone's turbo prematurely blows. Usually it's on chipped 1.8ts, but it can happen on non-chipped also!
[HR][/HR]​
The engine is covered under the drivetrain warranty. It's in the warranty info I believe. What kind of a "drivetrain" would you have without the engine? I've never heard of a drivetrain warranty before that did not cover the engine. That's just bizarre. Now, it is possible that could classify turbo failure as a normal wear and tear item (I'm guessing here) given that they do have a finite lifespan and is not intended to last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (TamiyaGuy)

Symantics:
Drivetrain Vs. Powertrain.
I would say drivetrain is gearage, tranny, etc.
Powertrain would be all the stuff that makes it go, engine, turbo, and the drivetrain.
But I'm clueless as to the actual definitions, this is just a guess.

·
Banned
3,143 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (TamiyaGuy)

vw = voided warranty.
it doesnt matter what numbers they put on a piece of paper, they re not paying for sh1te. "outside influence" will be blamed for any and all damage, and the bill is on you. if should start selling "this is my last vw" stickers to pay for my repairs... anyone else want one?
D_J

·
Registered
17,263 Posts
Re: Turbo Failure on 2002 1.8t (arribasn)

quote:[HR][/HR]for anyone needing clarification
10-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty for the Original Owner
(The period covers 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. * EuroVan Campers have a 5-year/50,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. The Period covers 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.)
Coverage includes parts and labor for any repair to correct a defect in material or workmanship for the following items:
Engine
cylinder block and all internal parts
cylinder head and all internal parts
oil pump
water pump
valvetrain
spur belt
flywheel
manifolds
Transmission
case and all internal parts
torque converter
Drivetrain
differential and all internal parts
driveshafts and constant velocity (CV) joints
Terms and Conditions
Immediate family members (wife, husband, son or daughter) may retain the original limited warranty as a subsequent owner of the vehicle.
Other subsequent owners are entitled to a 5-year/50,000-mile limited warranty (whichever comes first).
This warranty does not apply to vehicles used for commercial purposes such as taxis, limousines and rental vehicles.
[HR][/HR]​
THen what's the point of the engine warranty?????????

·
Registered
328 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Immediate family members (wife, husband, son or daughter) may retain the original limited warranty as a subsequent owner of the vehicle.
Other subsequent owners are entitled to a 5-year/50,000-mile limited warranty (whichever comes first).[HR][/HR]​
Thank you for making this clear. I was going to call VW to clearify this too. l always wonder if I would get the 5y limited warranty. I recently purchased the used 01 jetta. I hope I will also get the remainder of 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty. Right? (I am not an immediate family member)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.