VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a post a while back about a turbo kit for a fox. can anyone gimme some help, pics an anything else they know about this kit? thanks
scott

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: Turbo Fox? (NWFoxBoy)

Its the Brazilians. Had you searched there was a post about somebody who was gonna do it but decided not due to thousands of dollars in extra costs.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

I posted a pic a while back with a Stage II Callaway turbo kit. It was on a A1 Jetta and I think it could easily fit the Fox engine but I think there would be clearance issues with the turbo and the wheel well. From the o
IMO, a g60 Fox would be better and easier to do. Only thing is I'm not sure if the g60 engine will fit in the Fox engine bay
edit: here is the pic
The intercooler got air from a air scoop on the hood
-Carlos

[Modified by hackercarlos, 4:40 PM 6-8-2002]

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Re: Turbo Fox? (hackercarlos)

G60 engine would fit no problem (super charge) but adam directed the point of the charger will be in the way of the radiator so some more modifications would be required. Turbo i think its too expencive to play with. Best bet if u want more power outa ur fox get a better vw engine like the 16v or even the 8 valve Gti engine which fits with no problems alot less modification too. Looks fairly simlar so no one will know ur packin a 100hp Gti engine under the hood. if they ask u to pop it after a honda kill

[Modified by Flyin_Fox00, 6:27 PM 6-9-2002]

·
Registered
23,898 Posts

How about converting to a 16V before you add the turbo..?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Jonathan's engine was very heavily modified. Going by memory:
Fox 1.8 block with Audi 80 2.0 internals
VW 2.0 crossflow cyl head, modified to have solid lifters, oversized valves and a crazy Web (?) cam
SDS fuel injection
Custom 3-row radiator behind the grille
Extreme weight reduction.
G60: the alternator might be in the way of something too, but I don't know where it is on a G60.
Turbo: IMHO for the money that will be put into all the custom parts needed for a turbo, you can build an amazing NA 8v engine. At the same time, I'd love to import everything necessary to build a carburated (sp?) turbo BX up here.. or even import an already-modified Gol or Saveiro. First I should work on the "being currently unemployed" problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Turbo Fox? (FoxWagonGuy)

quote:[HR][/HR] Its the Brazilians. Had you searched there was a post about somebody who was gonna do it but decided not due to thousands of dollars in extra costs. [HR][/HR]​
Remember, that was me

I still might screw around with the idea.. because how much could I ever really be out? 30 bucks for a K04 turbo.. 30 bucks and some crafty engineering.. i am sure it could be done if you are bored enough.. but if you want a turbo guarenteed to work and you value your car's life more than your own.. don't do it..
(and yes you need custom parts unless you use a turbo off of a turbo diesel from what I hear it can be done using a Garette or a K04 turbo
)
btw the calleway system wouldn't be worth it lol considering it would put you out a good 5g's to do it most likely..
oh.. and if you have a CIS-E then you can do a turbo.. Digis is where it costs the bling bling
OH AND BTW instead of 1000's you could just get a 2.0 liter audi tall block for like a 150 bucks from a junkyard or a 2.0 liter 16v from a GLi

[Modified by Minkee, 5:34 PM 6-11-2002]

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Re: Turbo Fox? (VW Fox)

quote:[HR][/HR]
G60: the alternator might be in the way of something too, but I don't know where it is on a G60.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, a G60 alternator is kind of under the G-lader.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts