VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i found an auction on ebay that ends tonight, so i need a quick answer. the auction is for and 8v turbo manifold, k-26 turbo, and wastegate. it is cheap too. FIRST QUESTION: how much would be an OK price, considering the tutbo was rebuilt relatively not long ago? also, EXACTLY what else do i need to buy? (oil/water lines, intercooler, chip of some type, piping)???. anyone who has done this, please respond asap. i need to know what else is involved! thanks.

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Turbo guru's, ebay auction ends tonight so i need your advice and knowledge quick!!! (GTi Punk)

bump, need help please!!!

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Turbo guru's, ebay auction ends tonight so i need your advice and knowledge quick!!! (GTi Punk)

PLEASE!!!

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Turbo guru's, ebay auction ends tonight so i need your advice and knowledge quick!!! (killa)

hmmm, well the auction ended, but i found another one. here is what it says about it:
Includes T3 turbocharger compressor a/r 42 turbine a/r 48, wastegate, turbocharger manifold, oil inlet and outlet fittings, AND TURBO EXHAUST PIPE! Turbocharger and wastegate are rock solid! Bearings are perfect. . All parts are excellent and ready to install. Manifold is is cast and has a dam at the turbo flange to direct exhaust into the turbo and not into the other exahust ports, and minimizing back pressure on other cylinders. Keep that turbo spoolled! Extra ports have been capped with thick steel and stainless hardware.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Ebay can be a good place to buy stuff, but I'm a little bit wary of used turbos. I had a guy advertise a T3 .48 A/R 60 trim turbo as being in "excellent condition" with "absolutely no shaft play", etc..
I paid $300 for the turbo, and got a piece of s h i t. The compressor wheel was almost touching the housing, lots of shaft wobble, etc. So, I ended up buying a rebuilt turbo (which works just fine, I might say)...I'd say be careful on used turbos on eBay....people tend to overstate the condition, and often aren't competent enough to judget it in the first place...
And in general, make sure you know what you are getting in to before you do it. If you are asking "what else will you need?"....well since you are trying to piece together a turbo setup yourself, you will need:
1. Patience.
2. Persistence.
3. Money.
4. Time.
5. A Welder.
It's not going to be some easy "drop it in and go" type of operation. Do you absolutely need a welder? no, probably not. But that's a good litmus test. If you have a welder, thend you probably have much of the tools and experience you will need (or at least aren't afraid to drop $50 here and there for special tools or unforseen parts)
Proceed carefully.
-Steve

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Turbo guru's, ebay auction ends tonight so i need your advice ... (Stephen Webb)

hey thanks, and i do have a welder

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Re: Turbo guru's, ebay auction ends tonight so i need your advice ... (Stephen Webb)

I agree. I have been working on my turbo system too long. I have everything but time to spend on it so that is why it is not done. Someday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts