VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Re: Turbo help! (JettaMatt)

I don't think that manifold fits, you can use the audi 5000 turbo and manifold with one runner cut off and re welding the waste gate flange. OR I think you can use the diesel manifold. But now...take it to the turbo area

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Re: Turbo help! (mechsoldier)

The manifold is way different. The TDi manifold will physically bolt to the head but the turbo is REALLY small and will get inefficient at hi-rpm (limiting you to a max of about 5-6psi). The 1.8T Turbo wont fit that manifold as the flanges are different. The down pipe is gonna be another headache. If you do decide to go with high boost numbers (over about 6psi) youre going to need to lower the compression. Plus you need to have some way of adding extra fuel and retarding timing as boost comes on. Unfortunately turbos arent just an easy bolt on or a system that can easily be thrown together. I hate to say it but if you have to ask if it can be done...You probably dont have the ability to do it safely (to keep your engine alive) If you want a reliable safe turbo system expect to pay AT LEAST $3000. And thats for a system that will yeild around 180whp. If you want to go faster...Youre going to pay more. Thats the name of the FI game whan you want to go fast (hell I have $5000 in Lysholm running receipts) My suggestion (as much as I hate to make it) would be go with like an ATP set-up. Its kinda like a "Fisher price my fisrt turbo" system. You wont get crazy gains...but you probly want to get used to driving it before going there (trust me 30-50hp jump is ALOT Hahahaa)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.