1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on turbo intake pipes?
Does anyone use them?
Can I install it myself?
I have read that the ABD intake pipe is not a winner, and I should get the Neuspeed.
I am open for opinions.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (Bolsen)

the neuspeed one is identical to the factory one in material and fit, which is really nice. It's not an easy install, but it's not too bad either.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (gt2437)

ABD is an EXACT fit as well. Install is very easy.
remove airbox - although I just removed the TOP
remove Diverter valve from intake
remove wastegate valve from intake
get under car and remove 5mm bolt holding tip on
wiggle tip as loose as you can
*note* don't try and get the hose off the TIP from under the car pull the TIP up and do it from the top
Then follow the instructions that came with the TIP for TIP-HOSE seperation.
Reverse steps and you are done.

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (Mr_gimble)

quote:[HR][/HR]ABD is an EXACT fit as well. Install is very easy.
remove airbox - although I just removed the TOP
remove Diverter valve from intake
remove wastegate valve from intake
get under car and remove 5mm bolt holding tip on
wiggle tip as loose as you can
*note* don't try and get the hose off the TIP from under the car pull the TIP up and do it from the top
Then follow the instructions that came with the TIP for TIP-HOSE seperation.
Reverse steps and you are done.[HR][/HR]​
I had read that the ABD one is no good and that I should fork up the extra $$ for the Neuspeed.
Would you recommend the ABD?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

I have the NS and it fits great with a factory look. Not a whole lot of benefits besides a slightly quicker spool up. K04s get about 7 hp or something like that. Check out the Blue Rhino full intake as well. There has been a lot of recent threads on their product.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

ABD was a perfect easy no hassle install. Not one fitment issue. Of course this is only my experience on my AWD engine code 2000 GTI.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (Mr_gimble)

ABD worked great for me too - most people that have had problems with ABD are either talking about the lower IC pipe or they have purchased the wrong inlet pipe - AWW is 1mm larger than AWD.

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (Gambit)

What differences did it make?
Just that the turbo spools up faster?
Is there any audible difference?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts

Where did you read the ABD one is no good?
They are essentially the same part.
Maybe you are confusing it with the ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, which I have read has had some fitting issues.
I have the ABD and love it.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

I would say the turbo is a little bit louder but I also have did the DIY CAI mod that helps a little bit too. For the money I would say the mod is not really worth it unless you have a K04. It is a good idea and it can't hurt, at worst you will at least have more air into the turbine. I chose the NS tip because of the OEM appearance and the fact that I only paid $151 during the last GB. Not saying the ABD is bad, I just felt the construction of the NS was a little better though such a difference between the two will most likely not make a difference.
EDIT: Check this out if you are really serious about an intake and inlet! http://www.bluerhinoautosport.com/blue_rhino_autosport_web_page_001.htm
Blue Rhino is also currently developing a bolt on inlet to replace the clamp to the turbo they are currently using.

[Modified by evilpat, 7:57 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (evilpat)

Yea I saw the blue rhino.
Too bad I just bought the Evo!

Hmmm... that's too bad that it really isn't worth the $$. It seems like it would be a good idea.

·
Banned
4,768 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hmmm... that's too bad that it really isn't worth the $$. It seems like it would be a good idea.
[HR][/HR]​
Wrong. For 150 to 219 or whatever these regularly go for, it is a good idea. Think about it, what is your CAI doing for you if you have the bent stock TIP. Upgrade your entire intake track. CAI, MAF housing, TIP, and IC pipes. All will yield a few hp at high rpms and improve throttle response. I got mine for $151 during the last GB and it was well worth. The reduced lag alone makes it a good mod. Whichever you get, the ABD or NS, you probably won't regret it.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (VDUBBINDizzy)

just to clarify, make sure you arent getting the abd lower IC pipe confused with the turbo inlet pipe.
i havnt heard of problems with ABD's tip. just with the lip

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Turbo Intake Pipe (AxeAngel)

I had read that the ABD was no good in one of the searches that I did. I was reading quickly, so I may have misread it.
I still wonder why more people haven't done this.

Thanks for the advice.
Now I just need a GB!

·
Registered
476 Posts

See if you can find the pic of the stock intake pipe next to the nuspeed TIP. That says it all right there. I got nuspeed from the last group buy, which may have been where I saw those pics... but i'm sure any aftermaket TIP is better than stock.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Any opinions on turbo intake pipes?
Does anyone use them?
Can I install it myself?
I have read that the ABD intake pipe is not a winner, and I should get the Neuspeed.
I am open for opinions.[HR][/HR]​
1. Its nice, it helps to boost more quickly and (they say) it gives more HP
2. Yes, lots of people used them
3. You can install it, as long as you can lift your car, and wait for it to be cold (important)
4. I got the Neuspeed because of the group buy, but I guess they are both equally good..
Hope that helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts