VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the Turbo to be the proverbial icing. What needs to be done, or taken in to consideration, before beginning this task? I'm talking things like clutch, or differential, or even injectors. Intercooler?
The car, right now, is completely stock. I've heard there's a number of things that one can do to vastly improve performance (suspension seems to be a big one). Regardless, I want to end up with a "fun" car, that is still an easy going daily driver.
I'm hoping to come up with an overall plan, rather than bolting components on haphazardly... Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
GTI Zealot

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Re: Turbo on VR6 (GTI) -- prep work? (GTI Zealot)

If your car is completely stock, and especially if its an mk4... go with a vf stage 1 or 2. It will be that fun and reliable car you are looking for

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Re: Turbo on VR6 (leebro61)

Suspension is definitely an absolute must. Larger better brakes are a really good idea. Depending on your budget, a Torque Biasing Differential such as a Quaife or a Peloquin is also a good idea.
Then, depending on your mechanical ability, either plan out a nice custom turbo kit, or have one of the reputable tuning shops build you one. If you're not looking for a monster powerhouse, you may be perfectly satisfied with a complete turbo kit offered by various companies.
You seem to be taking the proper approach, which is not rushing into anything, and taking a step back to see what is out there before making the plunge. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Turbo on VR6 (Agtronic)

People are always talking about suspension. Do you mean sway bars et al, or are you talking springs and shocks? I ask because I love the ride and ride height of the stock GTI, I'm loath to change it.
There's that Quaife/Peloquin reference again. I'm going to do some research on those, because everyone seems to think you need them, but the people I've asked to describe them didn't really know what made them spiffy or how (other than better control while accellerating through a turn).
Thanks,
GTI Zealot

[Modified by GTI Zealot, 5:56 PM 1-29-2003]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts