VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really considering Turboing my VR. But the problem is the introduction of the 24v VR. Its a 30hp difference between the 24v and the 12v, and you all know how much hp costs... Chances of me getting the 24v is pretty good but that would mean I would have no money for mods. I really dont know what to do anymore...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Turbo or not to Turbo?? (Uncle Ben)

Reliability is almost the same. Ive been talking to Matrix and EIP about their kits, and everyone knows the VR engine to start off with is bulletproof. If u get the right toys with your turbo, i dont see a prob with 250 hp @ the wheels everyday driving.
As for the resale, u wont get sh!t for your car from a dealer, but find an enthusiast and u will get ur moneys worth.
Just dont trash it and try to sell it .. wont sell

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Re: Turbo or not to Turbo?? (1BadAzzVR6)

Well I only wanted to go NA just to be different. All turbo cars and large modifications take a lot of attention compared to the stock engine. The Vr6 is built strong, so it's not an easy thing to break.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Re: Turbo or not to Turbo?? (PineappleMonkey)

i say go turbo...who knows what mods will be out for the 24v and how long it will take....plus its a brand new motor and you dont want to just start modding untill you break it in at least..with turbo you can just turn down the boost if its to much, or turn it up..along with the right modifications...its just more tuneable, and there will always be something you can do to make your car faster with the turbo http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Re: Turbo or not to Turbo?? (Uncle Ben)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm really considering Turboing my VR. But the problem is the introduction of the 24v VR. Its a 30hp difference between the 24v and the 12v, and you all know how much hp costs... Chances of me getting the 24v is pretty good but that would mean I would have no money for mods. I really dont know what to do anymore...
[HR][/HR]​
after racing a 2.slowTurbo (boggle) and winning... me in a VR6 ... <shrug> I talked to him and explained that I was wanting to go turbo at some point in time ... he replied that given the chance he wouldn't turbocharge his ride... he explained that he has had to keep up maintainence like mad ever since he Turbo'd it ... also said he's gone thru like 3 clutches ... ( this is a little suspect... I would assume that if a person knew how to drive properly and didn't rag the car every fricking time you turn it on... AND if you get a sufficient clutch for the job ... you shouldn't need to replace it that often ... this was a 96 Jetta .... but thats just my thoughts on it ) anyhow... one man's suggestion from being there was don't do it... go all motor... me I would say the virus we contract when driving our fuel injected, 6 cylinder'd wonderous german vehicles is inevitable ... so give in... get the power, maintain cause it more of a chance to share the love... Go Turbo ... go 25PSI ... go REAL fast REAL quick! ... Good luck

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Re: Turbo or not to Turbo?? (sanity29)

quote:[HR][/HR]fatfreevw: i was looking at doing a 3.1 conversion as well. i was carious if you went with just the pistons and block boring, or did you get a bigger crank as well? thanx
ja [HR][/HR]​
I went all piston and boring, I did not need to touch the crank. Actually the hard part for me NOT to do was to DESTROKE the crank, so I could rev it up to 10k. That is my goal. However, Iwould need new cams, rods, and valves to go with it. So that is a costly project. When I finally get teh car back, I will decide if 1) I need more power and 2) how I want to make use of it. Matrix is pushing for the turbo, but we'll see;P
As for kits and turbos, there is not tha tmuch to it. If you want to keep the boost down, dont floor it. If you want to be able to Electronically control the boost, you will need an FMU on an OBD II (not sure about obd I) car. I would go with the Matrix stage 1 because they design them to be reliable. I didnt just pick that company do this, for nothing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.