VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (cherryredVR6)

Turbos cost less but there more maintenance and installing takes a bit longer to install 10+ hours.
Chargers cost alot more but less maintenance and takes less to install 8 hours if your somewhat good with cars.
They both do the same job just as good.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (Sleepy007)

i'm going with a charger because my car is a daily driver ... i would go turbo, but dont' have the time to properly tune, and possibly be without a car is something isn't running right.
chargers are more plug and play, but turbos will/can yield much more power.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

If you want to tune and tweak and get more power go turbo. If not drop in a SC and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (wootwoot)

It depends on factors like daily drivability and reliability, ease of
programming, amount of power etc.
I have the VF SC (226.x whp, 202.x wtq) for about 20K miles now
with long trips (incl one to Arizona and back) and heavy road course
use (LRP, Pocono etc) and the SC has held up well. And it drives like
stock http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Sleepy007 »
Turbos cost less but there more maintenance and installing takes a bit longer to install 10+ hours.
Chargers cost alot more but less maintenance and takes less to install 8 hours if your somewhat good with cars.
They both do the same job just as good.

Turbos cost less? Most of the time they cost more, however in turn they give u more power. In a since they cost less b/c they are more bang for ur buck. Go turbo

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (Lemmie Hill)

Ive got the VF kit and I love it.. I love the linar power output and the reliablity, but all in all, i think I would have been happier with a turbo.. If you ever get the hankerin' for more boost its alot easier than sending out your supercharger to get the pullys exchanged (stupid warrenties
). Don't get me wrong, the supercharger makes plenty of power, and with a couple more stages twice the power, but I love working on my car and I think that I would have fun with a turbo kit.. Im not a tuner, and im not even that good of a mechanic but I love to tinker and I think I could catch on to the turbo thing pretty quick if I had a go at it.. Basically that was my deciding factor when I bought my supercharger. Do I want to tinker or do I want to just install it and be done with it? Just some things to think about, Good luck bro http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (bergenvr6)

Quote, originally posted by bergenvr6 »
i'm going with a charger because my car is a daily driver ... i would go turbo, but dont' have the time to properly tune, and possibly be without a car is something isn't running right.
chargers are more plug and play, but turbos will/can yield much more power.

so true. You have to figure out what you want the car for. Alot of guys here run turbos on daily drivers also, but it all depends on what you want the car to do and your budget

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (stevevr6)

Quote, originally posted by stevevr6 »

so true. You have to figure out what you want the car for. Alot of guys here run turbos on daily drivers also, but it all depends on what you want the car to do and your budget

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif You just have to make sure you keep it maintained and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Sleepy007 »

Since when do turbos cost less, the only kit that cost less then a supershager kitis the new kinetic kit eithout intercooler or chip

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (cherryredVR6)

I say supercharger just because they are relaible. Of course if you want massive power, go turbo. You will be constantly tuning the turbo. The supercharger you just bolt up and go. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (98scvr6)

We can sit here and debate all day long about turboing or supercharging. Turbo guys are going to say go turbo and vice versa. Turbos can be just as reliable as superchargers, if tuned right. Im no expert. I have seen supercharged cars get good results and tubros get good results. I have driven and riden in supercharged vr's but never a turbo car, although I have ridden in many cars that were turbocharged non-factory, and the results are always amazing.
The reasons I think turbochargers are better for vr6's are as follows.
1. A smaller turbo such as a t3/t4 used on a vr6 will make more power. Now im not just talking when you have a built motor and are running more boost. But with the right size turbocharger on a vr you can hit full boost at much lower rpms.
2. A supercharger for a vr6 is really pretty much just a belt-driven turbo. Obviously this relates to 1.
3. The VR6 is not a V8. Vortech units should be used on V8's in my opinon. If we were talking about a eaton style blower I might not think the same way about turbochargers.
4. It seems to me that blowers aren't maintance free like people preceive them to be. I know two people that have had them and they were constantly tweaking little things. Turbos by no means are either.
5. Power is addictive, no one has ever made any where near the amount of power form a vortech on a vr6 as they have from turbocharging.
6. Turbos are just flat out faster. They make more torque.

Modified by Dansk Ventoe at 9:37 AM 2-28-2004

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (Dansk Ventoe)

I have now changed my position, and now I think that the Super Charger is better....since we sell a complete SC kit for $3800 good for 280 hp.
Then again, we can supply Stage I and II Turbo software good up to 17 psi, and SS head spacers.....so it is really a toss up

Okay, okay, okay.....now I have decided... Turbo or Super Charge either way.....EVERYONE should have B O O S T

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Re: turbo or supercharger (vwgroundzero)

Quote, originally posted by vwgroundzero »
chris, your kit is out already?

Oops, didn't I tell everyone
Yeah it is out and ready for shipping....taking orders now....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts