VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (97SequoiaVR6)

i'd save the money that would be invested for F/I and i'd go with a obd2 vr swap. Because i think you'd be disapointed (my opinion) with a 2.0 supercharged that makes about the same whp as a stock vr...if that. So i dunno, your call. I'd save for the swap tho.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (PorcelinVr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]i'd save the money that would be invested for F/I and i'd go with a obd2 vr swap. Because i think you'd be disapointed (my opinion) with a 2.0 supercharged that makes about the same whp as a stock vr...if that. So i dunno, your call. I'd save for the swap tho. [HR][/HR]​
I gotta agree with ya there dude. The two swaps I have performed have been trouble free. Only little things have gone bad, manly the same ones that would if you had a GLX in the first place. Youll want to up grade your brakes prob.
Ive helped install three turbos, two have had prob, both were ATPs turbo kit. Dont get me wrong, ATPs are the best on the market. But to really run some HP out, the compresion needs to be lowered and the block built with at least Forged pistons. If the turbo kit is ran like it is stright from ATP. It seems most everyone has good luck with it. But like I said to really pump some boost out of it, we had to swap out the pistons and double the head gaskets. Then things seemed to go just fine.
My vote goes both ways. The two VR swaps I help install, the drive spent about 3000 on engin, harness, ECU. And found a tranny in a junk yard for 300 buck or so. So about 3300 in all. With the ATP turbo set ups, the kits are 2750 I belive (www.vwturbo.com). If ya keep it the same thats about all youll spend, if you install it your self. You might want a cluth too. The stock one seems to last only if you dont rag the car real hard. If you decide to really pump some bust form the car, youll have to dig around and find some forged pistons. Not sure what the price is on those. JE forged pistons seem to be the best.
The amount of work involed is about the same. Took a Sat and Sun to install a turbo, or swap the VR. All of my experince is with OBD I turbo set ups and OBD II VR swaps ( there easer to get you hands on one that is lower on miles)
Hope this helps
Nate

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (TufGuy)

Yeah I kind did not metion the super charger at all did I? Ive never had one, worked on one, only seen one. It was on a VR6 though. I here the nuespeed charge disapoints. Seems it does not blow enough. The Zenginering unit seems to be the way to go right now. It puts out about as much as a VR6. Cause your car is lighter do to the four cylinder, you should be able to keep up if not out run a VR. Now VFenginering is working on a new set up for the 2.0 that the estimait will put out 230 hp to the crank. More than the Z and lots more than the neuspeed unit. Dont know when the will have it on the market though, it might already be on the market. Not sure.
The only down side to the super charger is that the boost it comed with is what it gets. Where as the turbo seems to have more tunning ablities than the super charger. But untill I get my hands on a super charger. I cant give ya a real opinon on one.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (Nat1267)

Definately a turbo because you can always upgrade to run mad boost.
Try doing a search because there is alot of post on this subject.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

a 2.0 can make way more than a stock VR6 for alot less. the Nuespeed supercharger makes about the same as the VR, but that's cuz ur running the stock compression ratio and no intercooler so little boost is safe. An ATP kit uses a couple copper head gaskets and an intercooler to get 200hp. I think if you were to use a copper head gasket the same thickness as stock, get forged low compression pistons, some ARP head studs, a cam designed for turbo aps, and the right software you could see 230 or more hp for around 4 1/2-5 grand (assuming you get a full engine rebuld using the pistons and do the turbo install youself. typical VR swaps go for at least that. VR's have the potential, but a VR6 swap plus a Z-engineering supercharger will cost ya 8grand +.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] Now VFenginering is working on a new set up for the 2.0 that the estimait will put out 230 hp to the crank. .[HR][/HR]​
hmm. So a 115bhp 2.0 with a vf engineering charger is gonna double the hp? LOL HOW ABOUT NO!!!!!!! Sorry, no charger is gonna double your hp.

·
Registered
479 Posts

I agree, save your money. Just buy a car with a VR6 already in it and save yourself the hassle. Youc an then turbo/super charge that if you want.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (BCampbell)

i have been trying to decided what to do for a while too. I think im gonna go with the atp turbo though. i figure why swap in a motor that came stock in the car. im not looking for a drag car, i just want something i can enjoy. 200hp is plenty for me. I am concidering buying like a low mileage 99 jetta GLX in a year or so. but i figure there is no point swaping a vr6 into it. for you could buy a vr6 jetta for like 2 grand more than the swap, so why bother.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

quote:[HR][/HR] Now VFenginering is working on a new set up for the 2.0 that the estimait will put out 230 hp to the crank. .
hmm. So a 115bhp 2.0 with a vf engineering charger is gonna double the hp? LOL HOW ABOUT NO!!!!!!! Sorry, no charger is gonna double your hp. [HR][/HR]​

The Neuspeed supercharger supposevly gives you "50% more horse power and 55% more torque". That means you go from 115hp to 172.50hp and in torque 123 to 190.65 at the engine. (Thats if my calculations are right and Neuspeed is right)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] Now VFenginering is working on a new set up for the 2.0 that the estimait will put out 230 hp to the crank. .
hmm. So a 115bhp 2.0 with a vf engineering charger is gonna double the hp? LOL HOW ABOUT NO!!!!!!! Sorry, no charger is gonna double your hp. [HR][/HR]​
How about yes, I was just quoted from what VF was posting on there web site. I never said they did have it, just that they were working on a set for the 2.0 that pounds 230 at the crank out. You should take a look at there web site.
http://www.vf-engineering.com/vw_mk3gti.htm
Nate

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (DJ MnM aka Mr. Hans)

The Neuspeed supercharger supposevly gives you "50% more horse power and 55% more torque". That means you go from 115hp to 172.50hp and in torque 123 to 190.65 at the engine. (Thats if my calculations are right and Neuspeed is right)[/QUOTE]
your right. assuming a 20% loss through a manual trans, you get 138 whp, which is about what people with a neuspeed blower are putting down, according to other posts and dyno figures. if you run the numbers, this is what you get for the current 2.0 forced induction kits. the neuspeed blower has a $47 to every 1hp ratio. the atp kit (200hp) offers a $13.5 to every 1hp ratio. the up coming VF stage 3 kit is supposed to offer 230hp or so. that comes to a $22.60 to every 1hp ratio. all these figures are crank horsepower. the neuspeed blower has to be the most simple and reliable setup offered as of now,but most expensive, compared to what else is available at the moment.

[Modified by bigteal, 1:48 AM 3-24-2003]

·
Banned
208 Posts
Re: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (DJ MnM aka Mr. Hans)

nuespeed sucks dont get that junk go for a vf or somethin there way better...but just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts